Page 26 of 801 FirstFirst ... 1623242526272829365176126526 ... LastLast

• Addicted to MC since '08

Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker XI

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    I'm not exactly sure what the point you're trying to make is.

Are you saying that it is not a 'good' backstory because it has defined characters? Or it's not good because it has a 'begininng' per-se? As the article mentions, Tower of Terror "adds layers of depth to the experience--heightening the sense that the guests are visiting a real place with a real history." What makes the Paradise Gardens any different? Sense you are visiting a real place? Check. Real History? Hmmm... immigrated family, one venue.. then two.... the original smaller, the second larger... history? Layered history? I think so.

The backstory sets the stage for what's happening now. We understand how the dining establishment came to be, but it's not spoonfeeding us what's happening right now or where it's going to end up.

Of course, I could be looking at your response completely wrong, as I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to communicate to me

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPro View Post
    Thanks for the reply regarding the Onstage construction.

I'm starting to get nervous about GSS. I too hope it's just a test car, but I wouldnt be surprised if this is the final product. The BSC took that super cheap-looking concept art with the cutout cloud design and light blue everywhere and posted the sketched version again. This worries me because it seems like all the other concept art is disappearing and the cheap concept keeps popping up everywhere :/

But I hope I'm totally wrong and we are all pleasantly surprised!
    This is probably a good thing, actually, as it means that GSS will have to be in place less time to justify the retheming expenditure. That means we're more likely to see a larger scale attraction take that spot fairly quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Theophilus Carter View Post
    This is probably a good thing, actually, as it means that GSS will have to be in place less time to justify the retheming expenditure. That means we're more likely to see a larger scale attraction take that spot fairly quickly.
    Yes, that's what I'm hoping for. But I just hope that Disney will figure out a way to balance class with cost. I'd rather Disney use simple, elegant designs on the queue for the same amount of cash that would be used to create gaudy, over-the-top decorations (such as those hideous clouds in the concept art).

Just my $.02

• Banned User

Yes, most of the existing backstage road in that area will be gone. The new backstage road will be the harbor entrance road all the way around Carsland and reconnect with the existing road again at PP.
    Last edited by FI183; 01-30-2011 at 01:44 PM.

When you tell a story, the back story is used to inform the author of who a character is (personality, history, etc) and a lot of the time is never intended for the audience to know. I assume that the back story for a themed restaurant helps everyone involved to be 'on the same page' so they all tell the same story in architecture, props, food, etc.

It might seem needed, but it can inform those who need to know what is trying to be achieved.

Quote Originally Posted by FutureImagineer183 View Post
    Yes, most of the existing backstage road in that area will be gone. The new backstage road will be the harbor entrance road all the way around Carsland and reconnect with the existing road again at PP.
    Aren't parts of the backstage road that currently goes right behind the wharf going to stay and simply have large gates closing them up at the places where the Cars Land entrances intersect, ala the backstage road that cuts across the Frontierland/Fantasyland walkway?
    Last edited by Mojave; 01-30-2011 at 02:12 PM.

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPro View Post
    I'm not exactly sure what the point you're trying to make is.

Are you saying that it is not a 'good' backstory because it has defined characters? Or it's not good because it has a 'begininng' per-se? As the article mentions, Tower of Terror "adds layers of depth to the experience--heightening the sense that the guests are visiting a real place with a real history." What makes the Paradise Gardens any different? Sense you are visiting a real place? Check. Real History? Hmmm... immigrated family, one venue.. then two.... the original smaller, the second larger... history? Layered history? I think so.

The backstory sets the stage for what's happening now. We understand how the dining establishment came to be, but it's not spoonfeeding us what's happening right now or where it's going to end up.

Of course, I could be looking at your response completely wrong, as I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to communicate to me
    Mostly because this backstory is unnecessary and stupid. No one will care and it is forced and tacked on. It is a hamburger stand and a pizza parlor in Paradise Pier that is the only "Story" that is needed. WDI adding all these ridiculous back stories is completely inconsequential like Gustav Tinkerschmidt and his love for copyright infringement.

Mostly because this backstory is unnecessary and stupid. No one will care and it is forced and tacked on. It is a hamburger stand and a pizza parlor in Paradise Pier that is the only "Story" that is needed. WDI adding all these ridiculous back stories is completely inconsequential like Gustav Tinkerschmidt and his love for copyright infringement.
    I have to respectfully disagree. In the case of Paradise Gardens, a backstory is essential in creating a realistic environment, an aspect the original Pier was severely lacking. When you have fantastic areas such as Paradise Pier, you need that extra sense of realism for the guest to "connect" emotionally and mentally to his or her surroundings.

• Banned User

The bugsland connector alone is taking a huge chunck of that road, and will be open after-hours for BOH. There will be gates at the warf portal but not the main portal as it is not needed. When I get home I'll post a diagram of the new backstage access.
    Last edited by FI183; 01-30-2011 at 03:35 PM.

• 11 Year Annual Passholder

It seems like you are upset with Disney for trying to give you "extra details". Honestly, people are going to go there to eat food. The atmosphere is an added bonus. But a backstory is completely optional... Most people will not care at all if there is a backstory or not. However that is what sets Disney apart from the rest. The details. In my opinion, backstories are like details. Not necessary, but they add that little bit extra, and when you do notice them, it makes you realize how much effort is put into everything, and you appreciate them that much more. Unnecessary, maybe. But why is that a bad thing?

^Art by me!^
    Check out my
    Flickr page for a selection of my Disneyland Resort photography (and more)! {new photos 12.24.14}
    You can purchase a selection of my photos as well as clothing and stickers designed by me at my RedBubble page.
    Visit my
    Tumblr blog for another way to view and share my photos.
    Radiator Springs Racers ride count: 20

• Banned User

You know what I change my mind! I didn't look carefully enough but the warf portal construction will go on stage, but the walls will be up until opening, same with Bugs.

You know what I change my mind! I didn't look carefully enough but the warf portal construction will go on stage, but the walls will be up until opening, same with Bugs.
    Oooo. Thanks so much! Can't wait for a diagram!

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

The bugsland connector alone is taking a huge chunck of that road, and will be open after-hours for BOH. There will be gates at the warf portal but not the main portal as it is not needed. When I get home I'll post a diagram of the new backstage access.
    I've been wondering about this as well. To me, keeping roads open between Carsland/Bugsland and the Wharf would be redundant. The wharf can get deliveries from the backstage rode between Screamin's load and the new rockwork while the new Carsland restaurants will back on to their own backstage area.

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by KEBSD View Post
    It seems like you are upset with Disney for trying to give you "extra details". Honestly, people are going to go there to eat food. The atmosphere is an added bonus. But a backstory is completely optional... Most people will not care at all if there is a backstory or not. However that is what sets Disney apart from the rest. The details. In my opinion, backstories are like details. Not necessary, but they add that little bit extra, and when you do notice them, it makes you realize how much effort is put into everything, and you appreciate them that much more. Unnecessary, maybe. But why is that a bad thing?
    "Walt knew that we were not telling stories. You know, he and I discussed it many times. He said very definitely "You can't tell a story in this medium".-Marc Davis

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

When you think about it empirically, is it really impossible to tell a story on that medium?

LinkBacks (?)