Page 701 of 801 FirstFirst ... 201601651691698699700701702703704711751 ... LastLast
Results 10,501 to 10,515 of 12005

Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker XI

Quote Originally Posted by ImagineerWaryur View Post
    Buena Vista is themed to the Thirties. The Carthay Circle Theater is where Snow White premiered in 1937. Most of the architecture is Art Deco, which was known mainly for 30's, not 20's. Also an architecture style known as Spanish Revival is part of the stylings. This too was known for that time period. But here's a list of the Periods throughout the park:

Paradise Pier - 20's

BVS - 30's

Hollywoodland- 40's

Grizzly Peak National Park - 50's

Cars Land - 60's
    Actually, according to Disney on this site: Disney California Adventure Buena Vista Street is 1920's, Paradise Pier is turn of the 20th-century or early 1900's, and Hollywoodland and Grizzly Peak National Park have not been officially announced.

And technically Cars Land, since it is set between the first and second Cars movies, is set in modern times but Radiator Springs' heyday was in the 1960's I believe.

Just wanted to clear some things up...

Quote Originally Posted by simba View Post
    The open tops of the buttes is almost definitely simply because they don't need to cap them because nobody will see them from that angle. It saves on labor/work/materials if they don't have to cap them.

It looks as if there will also be a gap (no cap) over the top of the loading/unloading area, as seen in this picture: http://mintcrocodile.smugmug.com/pho...-nVVWn5p-O.jpg
    That's just a depression in the rock. The load area is completely enclosed

• soon i will grow up

If each area gets a different decade, I'd love to see the Air Field will get a 30's retooling.

Los Angeles Air Field in the 30's = Rocketeer

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stoan View Post
    If each area gets a different decade, I'd love to see the Air Field will get a 30's retooling.

Los Angeles Air Field in the 30's = Rocketeer
    Supposedly Condor Flats will get folded into the Grizzly Peak Recreation Area.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

I think you're all sticking too closely to the eras system of themeing. While yes, there is an intent to capture the first half of the twentieth century it doesn't mean that attractions HAVE to follow such a timeline. And let's be honest...no matter how beautiful a job they do immersing us in a new time period, it's still 2011.

Attractions will fall into place, not by the era in which the characters existed, but by what can bring and keep people in. I'm just going to say it...you're going to get rides that are attached to existing and popular characters and stories. Every addition made to this park since ToT has been justified by attaching a popular character to it - the only things that may remain the same are the original attractions the park opened with 10 years ago.

Decade of Transformation:

Monsters Inc
    Aladdin
    Toy Story MM
    Fun Fair
    Mickey's Fun Wheel
    Silly Symphony Swings
    Goofy's Sky School
    The Little Mermaid
    World of Color
    Radiator Springs & the cast of Cars
    Electronica

The pattern isn't going to change. Have fun with your armchair imagineering, but don't believe in it.

• Dave

Blog Entries

I was looking at photos of the new entrance and must say I am very impressed. But I can't help but wonder what will happen to the Golden Gate Bridge. I have always like it, but it seems no longer to fit. Isd there any plan to remove it?
    Dave

^Its going to be removed and replaced by the "Hyperion Bridge"

And here is the one its modeled after:

• Buena Vista St. & Red Car

Yes the Golden Gate Bridge has always been slated to be removed. It will be replaced by a more understated but very beautiful, detailed art deco bridge reminiscent of the Hyperion Bridge in Los Angeles (which was coincidentally in Who Framed Roger Rabbit). That whole front entrance is becoming a 1920's/1930's Los Angeles with Mission Revival and Art Deco buildings, tons of details, the Carthay, the famous Red Car Trolley's of Los Angeles past, and a touch of early Disney magic. Great pics of some of the concept art for it is featured on the first page of this thread and google images of course is a friend. Or this site Disneyland Resort - Detecting Browser Properties . . .

• Dave

Blog Entries

Thanks for the info. I love the current bridge but with all the changes it just didn't seem to fit. A little like the old California Sign our family loved. Any idea when that will take place? We are going in November and I would love to take one more whiral with the Monorail befor it is off to Yesterland.
    Dave

• I'm not really here

It is also important to remember that architectural styles don't suddenly change Jan 1st of a year at midnight. There is overlap and as places grow and change they are built on top of older stylings. So analyzing the years that a particular architectural style was in use doesn't make much sense as a style in use in 1928 would probably still get used through the mid 30s while new styles appear and grow in popularity until older styles aren't used as much.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Dave

Blog Entries

Thanks for the picture of the new entrance. Were did you get it?

---------- Post added 07-12-2011 at 12:18 PM ----------

You know looking at the current bridge it seems like all the will need to is remove the top half
    Dave

• Buena Vista St. & Red Car

The concept art Mickey11 posted is featured on the walls in front DCA currently and also in the BSC. I believe it's in the Buena Vista Street album at starting of thread and here's a link to Mint's update with the concept art.Magic Eye: Blue Sky Cellar - The Little Mermaid and More

Oh and that link shows the picture of the sign mentioning the new Disney Theatre facade being inspired by the 40's era building, further showing Hollywoodland being more 40's inspired. And the Carthay fountain is dated 1928 which signifies it's completion date (and year of Steamboat Mickey) further showing BVS to be after that making it more 30's inspired.

---------- Post added 07-12-2011 at 01:00 PM ----------

You know looking at this update again, I rediscovered this concept art for the Carthay Circle Fountain. You know what it looks so similar to this one I just drove past yesterday on my way to the 110 Parkway coming from Pasadena. Here's a picture of that (note, this is not my picture, just came up under google image search). http://www.flickr.com/photos/magneti...in/photostream

It's the fountain in front of the now defunct Glenarm Power Plant in Pasadena. The art deco building of the plant was built in 1927 with the fountain being constructed later in 1938. Looks to be inspiration for Carthay Fountain.
    Last edited by SoCalFan; 07-12-2011 at 12:17 PM.

• AKA: Indyiluvu

Quote Originally Posted by bigwavedave View Post
    Thanks for the info. I love the current bridge but with all the changes it just didn't seem to fit. A little like the old California Sign our family loved. Any idea when that will take place? We are going in November and I would love to take one more whiral with the Monorail befor it is off to Yesterland.
    The Monorail is not leaving, it will go across the new bridge. Although it will most likely be closed when they are working on the bridge. The front entrance should be behind walls from September of this year untill opening next spring, so it may not be open when you go in November.
    FIRST DLR TRIP - 1981

FIRST DLP TRIP - March 1997

FIRST WDW TRIP - May/June 2006

FIRST HKDL TRIP - 2016?

FIRST TDLR TRIP - 2017?

FIRST SHDL TRIP - 2019?

• Olé! Olé! It's Showtime!

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalFan View Post
    I rediscovered this concept art for the Carthay Circle Fountain. You know what it looks so similar to this one I just drove past yesterday on my way to the 110 Parkway coming from Pasadena.

It's the fountain in front of the now defunct Glenarm Power Plant in Pasadena. The art deco building of the plant was built in 1927 with the fountain being constructed later in 1938. Looks to be inspiration for Carthay Fountain.
    Ah... so, the center of this fountain is made of glass block; we've already seen that there will be glass block insets in the sidewalks and street, with lighting underneath. I can already imagine colorful light shows using colored LEDs behind all this glass block and inside the fountain... should be interesting to discover what hidden lighting is incorporated in the BVS facades, too.
    MiceChat from Main Street.
    MiceChat goes mobile with the Mouseaddict app for iPhone and iPad! Keep up to date with the latest blogs and columns, chat live with MiceChatters inside and outside of the parks, plan your next move with Addictometer wait times and crowd level mapping, see showtimes and set reminders for dining, shows and FastPass, and find anything in the resort — from attractions to sidewalk carts.

Learn more and download free at mouseaddict.com.

Quote Originally Posted by FutureImagineer View Post
    Actually, according to Disney on this site: Disney California Adventure Buena Vista Street is 1920's, Paradise Pier is turn of the 20th-century or early 1900's, and Hollywoodland and Grizzly Peak National Park have not been officially announced.

And technically Cars Land, since it is set between the first and second Cars movies, is set in modern times but Radiator Springs' heyday was in the 1960's I believe.

Just wanted to clear some things up...
    Yes, some of the architecture of BVS is the 20's as any street you would find has various buildings from different timelines, but setting the centerpiece be the Carthay, which was built in the 20's, but was at its heyday in the 30's sets it apart. The theater premiering Snow White, which vaulted Walt from a small shorts producer to a major film maker is very symbolic.

As for Paradise Pier, it's set in the 20's, but the Victorian Era ended about fifteen years earlier. It's supposed to reflect a bygone era. Remember that Gustav Tinkersmidt is the new owner and renovator of the area; responsible for updating and maintaining it!

Just because Hollywoodland hasn't been officially announced doesn't make it so. Just look at some of the stops that the Red Car Trolley will make.

Same with GRR, the area has already been planned for a makeover and this is the name they've chosen. I'm not saying I like it, that's just what it is.

As for Cars Land? No argument here, but that's just making my point. It's designed to look like it was a place that was during its peak in the 60's.

It's going to be great for us all to walk down these places next year. I hope that Disney decides to call each area a "Decade" or "Era" on the map. Wouldn't that be cool?

ImagineerWarrior

LinkBacks (?)