Page 791 of 801 FirstFirst ... 291691741781788789790791792793794 ... LastLast
Results 11,851 to 11,865 of 12005

• Minion

Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker XI

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    Just wait for the scaffolding to come down. The scaffolding, being darker colored, actually makes the mountains look far too light and washed out. When seen against the blue sky and the red rocks below without all the steel and wood sticking out of them, they'll look correct.
    Exactly. And some of the rockwork just below the Tail Fins is still not painted. Once they are finished and the scaffolding comes down, it'll all come together. It's hard, but for big projects like these, patience is the key.

• I'm not really here

It will also help when the finish up the landscaping (adding smaller rocks, bolders trees, etc).

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Smile Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker XI

Love the perspective techniques being employed. Those twelve acres will pull the imaginative eye into the open space of the southwest. Muting saturation, softening focus, and the use of grey scales is a time honored way to create depth. I am reminded of early Japanese artworks. But enough musing. I am convinced we will be seeing some textured rock work on the "backside of mountains". The rectangular structural steel tubing being put up is identical to that used throughout Carsland for hanging toothpicks/mesh. I do agree with those of you about its extent. Most likely a fairly steep treatment, as in a cliff face. Most likely somewhat muted in detail, but almost certainly not a painted flat wall. I am not trying to be argumentative, just felt compelled to put my thoughts out there. As has been so wisely stated... time will tell.
    Last edited by blorgan; 08-13-2011 at 07:57 PM. Reason: added "toothpicks/"

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Another concern is that those mountains will become even more washed out, over time. And once again, those models don't look promising for much more color, than what's showing on the range right now. Hopefully John Lassetter will take a look at the colors, and tell them MORE COLOR, at least enough to match what shows in the movie.

My thought is that by adding color is a tradeoff to creating depth. How much muting is up to the artist. Best of both worlds equals vibrancy AND depth. The line is in the eye of the beholder. I'll bow to the artist tasked. We all have our own vision of what is that perfect juxtaposition(sp?) between fact and fantasy, so your concern is certainly as valid as my sense that this artistic team did good.
    Last edited by blorgan; 08-13-2011 at 08:32 PM.

• Buena Vista St. & Red Car

You know judging by pictures I first thought the tail fins were too light and muted but seeing it in person and with some scaffolding down you really get a sense of depth and it makes the mountains look taller than they are. They also capture the sunlight brilliantly. Rocks of the Southwest are not just shades of red and yellow and its great to see color diversity. These mountains are some of the greatest examples of artistry in modern imagineering. Kudos!

The washed out colors are to give the illusion of the mountains being further than they really are.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• I'm not really here

Here are some photos of Zion's National Park near St. George in Utah. You can see just how much some distance can alter the appearance of the rock. Another thing at work here is the age and length of time the rock has been exposed. Rock that is higher up has been exposed to the elements longer and can have been faded by the elements over the vastly longer timescales it has been exposed. So it is not just distance at play here, but also the age.

Original: http://www.americanhikingadventures....alley_view.jpg

Original: http://www.atpm.com/14.09/western-us...te Throne".jpg

Original: http://travelblog.mostlyfiction.com/...patriachs1.jpg

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Carbon based

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post

It was a quote within a quote by TreoFred...could not find the original post...
    "Bottom line: I think that Disney made sure that their investment in the mountain range could be use for 'other things'. Completely guessing there but just based on most track record, Matterhorn being a good one!"

So, what is the inside of the Matterhorn used for? Is there a storage or operational function? I assume you are not just talking about the Yeti. Heh!
    Of course, if its been posted before...SORRY!
    Hey Brian, let me explain what I meant
    Primarily, inside the Matterhorn you have, well, a ride. But, they do have some storage and even a room that was used by the the climbers (when they use to climb on the mountain.) Furthermore, if you look at it from a satellite view (Google, Bing, etc.) you'll notice that the top is open, which allows for the flying Tinkerbell/Dumbo during fireworks.

So, yes, they do a few other stuff with the Matterhorn

---------- Post added 08-13-2011 at 11:03 PM ----------

Here are some photos of Zion's National Park near St. George in Utah. You can see just how much some distance can alter the appearance of the rock. Another thing at work here is the age and length of time the rock has been exposed. Rock that is higher up has been exposed to the elements longer and can have been faded by the elements over the vastly longer timescales it has been exposed. So it is not just distance at play here, but also the age.
    I won't quote the pics because people may complain but it's too bad cause they are absolutely wonderful! (Also, it looks like I'm the post right below or something like that )

Thanks for the great example of nature's actual artistic palette!
    Last edited by TreoFred; 08-13-2011 at 10:04 PM.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by TreoFred View Post
    I won't quote the pics because people may complain but it's too bad cause they are absolutely wonderful! (Also, it looks like I'm the post right below or something like that )

Thanks for the great example of nature's actual artistic palette!
    That is on my drive to Disneyland. Some of the views on our drive to the park are mind-numbingly beautiful, and while there is an awful lot of red rock, there's a lot that isn't as well.

• Buena Vista St. & Red Car

Original: http://www.americanhikingadventures....alley_view.jpg

Original: http://www.atpm.com/14.09/western-us-national-parks/images/Zion National Park, Utah, "The Great White Throne".jpg

Original: http://travelblog.mostlyfiction.com/...patriachs1.jpg

Thank you for this mycroft! This was exactly what I was thinking when I said not all rocks in the Southwest are shades of red and yellow. The more gray and white ones are as you said, older rocks made of different material. It's been so long since I've been to Zion...looks so beautiful. Some more examples to show the different colors.

Rock Rock Canyon State Park here locally in Kern County, CA

And then from the Cathedral Rocks in Sedona, Arz. See the top of rocks and distant mountains are more light and white in color.

Dude! Where were you when it was debated that these rock formations were not found in California! What a wonderful, diverse state we live in. Send me a PM, we have the "east side" in common.
    Last edited by blorgan; 08-13-2011 at 10:33 PM.

• Carbon based

That is on my drive to Disneyland. Some of the views on our drive to the park are mind-numbingly beautiful, and while there is an awful lot of red rock, there's a lot that isn't as well.
    I find that cutely ironic: spending so long driving a car along all those magnificent rocks... so as to get to a theme park where you can pretend to be racing a car along magnificently painted fake rocks

Yes, I know you're not on route 66 but it still found that funny ... Not the devotion to a theme park though, I've done worse ... In fact, this is probably the farthest I've seen 'Disneyland' being advertised:

• Parmageddon Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Ron W View Post
    Whatever is going on back here, there is a crane involved
    That's Mr. Crane, to you!
    So full of Disney Magic, my eyes are blue.

TreoFred... okay, where the heck is this? Tibet?

LinkBacks (?)