Page 98 of 801 FirstFirst ... 4873889596979899100101108123148198598 ... LastLast
Results 1,456 to 1,470 of 12005

• Dream in wonderful color!

Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker XI

Aha, now I see it. Thanks for pointing it out.
    - Adventure Is Waiting -

"We're going to take you out of this world of reality for a visit to the most fantastic of all the worlds of fantasy." - Walt Disney

• Banned User

Glad the site is back up, any new pics of triton? Is he up yet?

Interesting to note in Al's update today that the boardwalk work is for a permanent meet and greet for both Mickey AND Duffy. It's what they should have done from the beginning (associate the two together), but is it too late to catch on?
    *A Republic... If you can keep it*

• Buena Vista St. & Red Car

Oh wow really surprises me about the trees lol color me shocked and wrong. I'm sure they'll look great just surprised. I hope the permanent meet and greet looks great. Can't wait to see the triton

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by BiggestDisneyFan View Post
    Also, there would be no way to have the wrap-around boardwalk, with a couple of the 'lighthouse' structures for WoC lighting/projection, in their current positions. Whether that is permanently the case, or if some of the rigs they contain could eventually could be incorporated into a future wrap-around boardwalk, is a matter of debate. (So, of course, debate it we will! )
    Just a rough concept, but what IF this happens:

Drain the bay during the off season.

Come in, fix the chernabog tower so it can work, or do what they need to do to it.

Polish up everything on the WoC platform (not literally, figuratively)

while that is going on:

take down the light houses in front of the Fun Wheel.

set them backstage, or even just in the bay.

Build two or three concrete 'pits' for the lighthouses that are in front of the Fun Wheel.

install lifts for the projectors/lasers/whatever's housed inside the lighthouses.

Start work on the wrap around boardwalk, and if the boardwalk goes over the lifts, then here's the deal: have doors that people walk on during the day, but come show time, block off the front of that boardwalk, open the 'doors' and lift the projectors/lasers up for the show.

It's a good concept, but is it worth the hassle?

• Nope! No grown-ups here!

Quote Originally Posted by MainStreetJake View Post
    Just a rough concept, but what IF this happens:

Drain the bay during the off season.

Come in, fix the chernabog tower so it can work, or do what they need to do to it.

Polish up everything on the WoC platform (not literally, figuratively)

while that is going on:

take down the light houses in front of the Fun Wheel.

set them backstage, or even just in the bay.

Build two or three concrete 'pits' for the lighthouses that are in front of the Fun Wheel.

install lifts for the projectors/lasers/whatever's housed inside the lighthouses.

Start work on the wrap around boardwalk, and if the boardwalk goes over the lifts, then here's the deal: have doors that people walk on during the day, but come show time, block off the front of that boardwalk, open the 'doors' and lift the projectors/lasers up for the show.

It's a good concept, but is it worth the hassle?
    That sounds like a really great idea! Chance of it happening (especially any time soon): .00001%
    Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Draining the bay was a huge expense and drastically complex undertaking that will likely not be done for many many years. That alone ruins the plan.

On top of that, I bet you Disney could find no reason to put in that boardwalk... They probobly haven't put a moment of thought into it since they decided not to replicate the infamous piece of artwork that showed it. For some reason, the fan sites just latched onto it regardless of whether its a real benefit or not and clamoured for it. If they went through all the work to actually put it in, would anyone's trip to DCA be any better really?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    Draining the bay was a huge expense and drastically complex undertaking that will likely not be done for many many years. That alone ruins the plan.

On top of that, I bet you Disney could find no reason to put in that boardwalk... They probobly haven't put a moment of thought into it since they decided not to replicate the infamous piece of artwork that showed it. For some reason, the fan sites just latched onto it regardless of whether its a real benefit or not and clamoured for it. If they went through all the work to actually put it in, would anyone's trip to DCA be any better really?
    More than likely not.

It's a great piece of artwork, and would have been awesome to have, but it's not that big of a deal now that it's not there.

By the way, might want to get ready for the foamers. They'll fight you back by saying "Yes, their trips could have been better! If that wonderful boardwalk wrapped around the Fun Wheel, think of the marriage proposals that would go undone, the romantic 'seaside' kisses that would go unkissed, ALL BECAUSE CORPORATE DIDN'T WANT TO SHELL OUT THE MONEY FOR IT."

Yea, it'll sound something like that. lol

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

I've taken this stance before without "foamers" having any problem with it.

*Wipes foam from lips*

All I have to say about it is that people around here often say things like 'It's the little details' that make the Disneyland Resort beautiful. A nicely themed, wrap-around boardwalk may not be a big deal, but it would be one of those 'little details' on a large scale. Would it make a big difference to most people? No. Would it significantly improve the overall immersive theme of Paradise Pier? Absolutely, yes. It's one of those items that you don't miss if you never knew that it could have been there, but that you would appreciate if it were there.
    Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

• I'm not really here

See, I don't even think it is one of those little details either. It's not a really great place to have it. There's nothing there that can't be seen from shore. Far more important to have the actual MFW queue redesigned and themed. The boardwalk wouldn't really add a whole lot of little detail. For the cost, it really isn't worth it.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BiggestDisneyFan View Post
    *Wipes foam from lips*

All I have to say about it is that people around here often say things like 'It's the little details' that make the Disneyland Resort beautiful. A nicely themed, wrap-around boardwalk may not be a big deal, but it would be one of those 'little details' on a large scale. Would it make a big difference to most people? No. Would it significantly improve the overall immersive theme of Paradise Pier? Absolutely, yes. It's one of those items that you don't miss if you never knew that it could have been there, but that you would appreciate if it were there.

No it wouldn't have... A boardwalk around the base of a ferris wheel is not a detail, it is just an extra walkway. The little details that make Disneyland special are the thematic elements hidden on top shelves and in nooks and crannies for the eyes to explore and discover. The difference between building for utility or building to support a detailed theme is what makes Disney special.

For arguments sake, say it was built. What would make it more "Disney" would be if it was done to the nines with little ornate touches and extras. What would make it more like DCA 1.0 is if it was bland and just a wooden walkway up on stilts.

This is what people don't realize. They for some reason think that DCA needs more to make it better. What it really needs is more detail throughout what it has already. Sure, the DCA ride count isn't high, but what was there was so plain. Thats why it wasn't not Disney, and adding a boardwalk would not help that.

Instead of a boardwalk, they could put fountains there, or a statue, or any number of things, but they didn't because the projection lighthouses were better suited to add something to peoples trips/bring in more money. Again, it is obvious that the only reason that people latched on to this one meager proposal instead of the millions of other possibilities is because it was the first project of the makeover and people are extremely eager to see DCA fail. So, they saw that artwork, saw they didn't add it in and jumped on it.
    Last edited by Trevor; 02-22-2011 at 11:05 AM.

OK. I honestly thought that the wrap-around boardwalk and the enhancements to the MFW queue were one and the same. I guess that's not necessarily the case.
    Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

The MFW queue and the stores around it still sport their DCA 1.0 style. They are not good, but the chances that they get redone to match the new style of the pier around them after BVS is still pretty good. The wrap around part of the boardwalk would not help the queue area.

I wish I was in California right now, and not earthquake-central Christchurch, New Zealand. :'(

LinkBacks (?)