Page 99 of 801 FirstFirst ... 49748996979899100101102109124149199599 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,485 of 12005
  1. #1471

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Buena Vista St.
    Posts
    1,887

    Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker XI

    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    No it wouldn't have... A boardwalk around the base of a ferris wheel is not a detail, it is just an extra walkway. The little details that make Disneyland special are the thematic elements hidden on top shelves and in nooks and crannies for the eyes to explore and discover. The difference between building for utility or building to support a detailed theme is what makes Disney special.

    For arguments sake, say it was built. What would make it more "Disney" would be if it was done to the nines with little ornate touches and extras. What would make it more like DCA 1.0 is if it was bland and just a wooden walkway up on stilts.

    This is what people don't realize. They for some reason think that DCA needs more to make it better. What it really needs is more detail throughout what it has already. Sure, the DCA ride count isn't high, but what was there was so plain. Thats why it wasn't not Disney, and adding a boardwalk would not help that.

    Instead of a boardwalk, they could put fountains there, or a statue, or any number of things, but they didn't because the projection lighthouses were better suited to add something to peoples trips/bring in more money. Again, it is obvious that the only reason that people latched on to this one meager proposal instead of the millions of other possibilities is because it was the first project of the makeover and people are extremely eager to see DCA fail. So, they saw that artwork, saw they didn't add it in and jumped on it.
    trevor u hit the nail on the head. Many people are very eager to see dca fail so they tend to latch on to these little things as more 'evidence' of the 'failing' park. Its the same reason why DCA cant have anything but perfect seamless transitions even if holier than thou Disneyland doesnt even have perfect transitions from land to land. DCA is nitpicked and over analyzed way more than it should be.

    Even with world of color..a show that is classic Disney quality in every way. Its nitpicked for transitions etc. ..What about fantasmic though? Nobody critiques why capt hook comes out BEFORE the villians are 'unleashed' ..why would a bad guy be present in mickeys imagination? If they did that at DCA it woulda been raked over the coals for months n even years.
    Last edited by BuenaVista28; 02-22-2011 at 11:53 AM.

  2. #1472

    •   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    9,036
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker XI

    That has been my platform for years. It is very true that DCA 1.0 was lacking the detail and richness a typical Disney Park "should" have but the need of many to find flaws with every element of the place is evidence of the double standard present in the minds of many.

  3. #1473

    • Disneyman
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    932

    Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker XI

    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    No it wouldn't have... A boardwalk around the base of a ferris wheel is not a detail, it is just an extra walkway. The little details that make Disneyland special are the thematic elements hidden on top shelves and in nooks and crannies for the eyes to explore and discover. The difference between building for utility or building to support a detailed theme is what makes Disney special.

    For arguments sake, say it was built. What would make it more "Disney" would be if it was done to the nines with little ornate touches and extras. What would make it more like DCA 1.0 is if it was bland and just a wooden walkway up on stilts.

    This is what people don't realize. They for some reason think that DCA needs more to make it better. What it really needs is more detail throughout what it has already. Sure, the DCA ride count isn't high, but what was there was so plain. Thats why it wasn't not Disney, and adding a boardwalk would not help that.

    Instead of a boardwalk, they could put fountains there, or a statue, or any number of things, but they didn't because the projection lighthouses were better suited to add something to peoples trips/bring in more money. Again, it is obvious that the only reason that people latched on to this one meager proposal instead of the millions of other possibilities is because it was the first project of the makeover and people are extremely eager to see DCA fail. So, they saw that artwork, saw they didn't add it in and jumped on it.
    I agree with a lot of what you say here. But who are these people you refer to who "are extremely eager to see DCA fail?"
    "It's fun to do the impossible." ~Walt Disney

  4. #1474

    •   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    9,036
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker XI

    Nobody in particular but there seems to be some segment of the population that simply cannot accept that the enhancements going on at DCA will make it any better. Its much like Windows Vista in that while it was fixed and in many cases worked fine after patching (as in my case where I had no issues at all), the market rejected it coldly regardless of what it ended up being. They eventually just ended up shipping a rebuffed Vista as Windows 7 and the simple name-change is all that was needed to make people fall in love with the product.

    To summarize, the DCA name has been tainted in the minds of so many (RideWarrior's threads come to mind) and it is no longer the content, but simply the place and name itself that is being rejected regardless of facts or experiance.

  5. #1475

    • I'm not really here
    • Online

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Too Far From Disneyland
    Posts
    11,231

    Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker XI

    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    This is what people don't realize. They for some reason think that DCA needs more to make it better. What it really needs is more detail throughout what it has already. Sure, the DCA ride count isn't high, but what was there was so plain. Thats why it wasn't not Disney, and adding a boardwalk would not help that.
    Thank you for stating that so clearly and plainly. It's the subtleties that make the parks work and make them charming. It's not what's actually in them. Anyone can put up shops on a street and make them look old, but Disney goes one step further and hand carves the ornate wooden details on the beams, then goes to antique houses and consignment shops and finds hundreds of period items and puts them up on shelves. Take away the little minutiae and it is still Main Street, but that little extra Disney magic is missing and something feels completely off.

    As you said, DCA is missing these tiny little details. The intricate cut scroll wood work on TSMM, the detail going into the TLM building. Instead of those things DCA 1.0 had massive wide concrete walkways and no landscaping. They had buildings and rides, but in terms of a Disney theme park it was still a blank canvas waiting to be painted. It had the barest of bare bones and nothing more.

    Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

  6. #1476

    •   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    9,036
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker XI

    I'm glad that it made sense. I struggled to find an example that would do the situation justice. I struggled with trying to think of things they "could" add to the parks that would be nothing without the added details that make Disney, Disney.

  7. #1477

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,630

    Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker XI

    In reply to the discussion of the boardwalk around the wheel,


    I think that what they should do is extend the boardwalk east of the Fun wheel over the water. The large area of water behind the projection houses and the existing boardwalk could be better used.

    In my world extend the boardwalk as close as possible to the projection houses. I would then re-organize that corner of the boardwalk by eliminating the hot dog stand that is there if needed. This new piece of boardwalk would then be turned into the merchandise area with a collection of small buildings or a couple large buildings made up to look like individual buildings. The whole area would have access on all four sides creating a unique shopping area similar to the La port-o-call that extended out up to the main walkway.

    now that this new area is better utilized i would get rid of the ugly shops that exist now and used most of it for a new attraction area. the new building would extend out a bit similar to what they did for Midway Mania.

  8. #1478

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    588

    Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker XI

    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    As you said, DCA is missing these tiny little details. The intricate cut scroll wood work on TSMM, the detail going into the TLM building. Instead of those things DCA 1.0 had massive wide concrete walkways and no landscaping. They had buildings and rides, but in terms of a Disney theme park it was still a blank canvas waiting to be painted. It had the barest of bare bones and nothing more.
    I do not know if alot of you were there when Disneyland opened up but that was actually how alot of disneyland was at the time, it was better then what else was available anywhere else, but it was not the immersive place that it is today. Frontierland is alot better then it was back then but it still is the most like DCA in that it feels "flat" so to speak, while the rest of the park feels more like you are walking in the pages of a storybook. Tomorrowland has actually taken a step back from what it used to be like in the past.

  9. #1479

    •   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    9,036
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker XI

    Frontierland has a few to many plasma TV's to be perfect.

  10. #1480

    • Nutty about Disney parks
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    2,666

    Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker XI

    I can't judge the fluidness so to speak in getting around DCA unless I am there to experience it myself. With the additions of BVS and Carsland, I'd say it will take a few extra years to add all those little details to let the lands flow together better and make it work...provided that TDA puts that into consideration as part of Phase 2.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

  11. #1481

    • Clean Cup! Move Down!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Roseville, CA
    Posts
    363

    Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker XI

    Quote Originally Posted by FutureImagineer183 View Post
    .....


    I told you so!
    LOL!!! You crack me up.

    For the record, I'm still waiting until they are done. I won't believe it until I see it finished!

    I'm not stubborn. I'm not! I'm not!
    DL Trips: '78, '84, '89, '90, '91, '96, '03, '06, '07(x2), '08, '10(x2), '12
    DW Trips: '08
    International parks: Some day...

  12. #1482

    • Member of Baxter's Army
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Haunted Mansion
    Posts
    2,389

    Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker XI

    Quote Originally Posted by Tragic View Post
    They would have needed to stay away from hot topics like enviromentalism, if they had done what you said I would never have walked through that area in my life, what a crock. Why would you want to offend so many people all at once by putting that in a disney park? Disney is supposed to be a magical place, where you feel invited and carefree, not allowing the nastiness of the outside world in.
    You obviously would not like Epcot.

  13. #1483

    • MC Blogger
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,044
    Blog Entries
    52

    Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker XI

    I think Frontierland is worse today than in the mid sixties. BTMRR aside.
    Mark

    Disney parks and art, movies, music, more... Over 1, 000 Posts!
    www.InsightsandSounds.blogspot.com

  14. #1484

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    588

    Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker XI

    I agree, BTMRR is the only saving grace that is there now that was not there then. The Golden horseshoe sure has taken a turn for the worse, there used to be such lines to get in and see a show, and it was an experience that people talked about then like people talk about fantasmic or WOC now, as it was something that stayed with you for a long time after seeing wally boag and slue foot sue's cancan.

    There was not another place in disneyland that made walt happier then the GHR, or so his daughter says. I wish that DCA had a place like this, an adult oriented stage show that can be fun for everyone. Sadly I do not think that in this PC world DCA could get such a thing as everything is watered down now. The things that made walt happy, like the mark twain or the GHR in frontierland seems to be missing from DCA if you know what I mean. Something bigger then life, but not a spectacle, but an experience of authenticity.

  15. #1485

    • Armchair Imagineer-er.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Nuevo, California
    Posts
    3,228

    Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker XI

    Stage 17 would work great as a downtown-hollywood comedy club/cafe. DCA's Golden Horseshoe.
    @Monorailorange

LinkBacks (?)


Similar Threads

  1. [News] Disney California Adventure Project Tracker X
    By MasterGracey in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 9944
    Last Post: 01-26-2011, 06:12 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •