Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Denied Club 33 Membership?

Anyone have any insight to what/why Club 33 would deny someone membership? Kevin Smith (Director, Actor) was doing a radio show here in the Bay Area last week and he mentioned (my memory might be off a bit but I'll try my best) that someone he knew was doing a deal with Disney. This someone that he knows asked for a membership to club 33 as part of his deal with Disney. For reasons Kevin Smith did not state, he was denied. Kevin Smith first alluded that it was racism, by saying something to the effect of 'I was shocked to learn stuff like that still happens, even there out of all places.' To clarify, Kevin Smith later made clear that it was not racism.

So in the end I was left wondering:
    Is Kevin Smith just trying to be funny and sarcastic? -- or --
    Did Kevin Smith mean that the person he knows was denied a membership because of religion? -- or --
    Does Kevin Smith have no idea what he's talking about?
    Or is there some other reason?

• Banned User

Stop saying Kevin Smith so much!!

Yeah I not sure. no big deal though
    Last edited by Dirton; 03-09-2005 at 10:54 AM.

• No bacon; sausage.

Well, it sounds like whoever it was wasn't simply applying for a membership, but was trying to get a membership thrown in as part of some sort of contract or something. So Disney said no, big deal.

• Disneyland Freak

I don't think Disney cares what religion your money comes from, especially for Club33 memberships which are quite pricey. Would be interesting to learn why.
    Joey AKA "dlfreak"
    www.mouseinfo.com

I'm addicted to Disneyland. Disneyland hobbies are expensive.
    If I become a bum people are going to say "Don't give him money, he's just gonna use it on Disneyland."
    Disneyland. My Anti-drug.

With all this talk of "off the shelf" and "on the back-burner" it seems the only thing that DCA is really missing is the kitchen sink!

Create your own Virtual pet today!

• Quality not quantity

My guess on Kevin Smith is that Kevin Smith wanted to jump the queue. While I'm sure Kevin Smith is very big in Kevin Smith's mind I'd expect there are a few other B-level stars like Kevin Smith waiting for a spot at club-33. So Kevin Smith, feeling all self important got bent out of shape when Kevin Smith did not get what he wanted when Kevin Smith wanted it.

Note: This is just an opinion letter and may or may not reflect the facts in the case, which I freely admit I don't really know.

Ps. Who is Kevin Smith? I ran an IMDB on him and the Kevin Smith I came up with looks a bit white to be playing the race card.

• Reaver of Souls

First, Club 33 memberships are on a initial/yearlt due basis, not a one time freebie membership for life.

Second, the waiting list for membership, last time I checked, was at 4 years.

Third, as an exclusive club, they reserve the right to allow or deny membership as they see fit, and don't need to explain.

Last, if I were in charge of memberships at 33, I'd say no just on principle. I don't like people trying to bypass the system...

So if KS wants to make an issue over it, let him. I'll lose no sleep over it.
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

• șoș Tom șoș

Have you ever seen the man speak live? Sarcasim is his native tongue and he has a rather large and exstensive beef with Disney over his relationship with Miramax/Dimension and the Weinsteins...Do you honestly think the man can objectivly speak about Disney and Club 33 without weighing his rather large and overbearing sense as a vendictive writer to the mix?

Don't get me wrong, I am a Smith fan, especially his comic books but the man is not a Disney fan. I feel like I am writing some nasty comment on Poopshote.com, I don't mean to rag on the guy, I am simply pointing out he might have been fasicious during the interview.

• It's all nonsense

I've never even heard of him. Sounds like a major prima donna to me.

• șoș Tom șoș

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter
    I've never even heard of him. Sounds like a major prima donna to me.
    Serious? Kevin Smith aka Silent Bob from Clerks, Mallrats, Chasing Amy, Dogma, Jay an Silent Bob Strike Back, Jersey Girl and the reinnoventor of Daredevil and Green Arrow? Dude is well on his well to being a house hold name, which is rare for a director besides the obvious ones.

• No bacon; sausage.

Notice the OP said that Smith was relating this story about someone else, not himself.

• It's all nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by ah schucks
    Serious? Kevin Smith aka Silent Bob
    ooohhh. him. he's still a c-list celebrity no matter how you cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon
    Notice the OP said that Smith was relating this story about someone else, not himself.
    Yeah but he still implied that disney was wrong. It sounds like even though it wasn't him...he thought that disney should've handed this other person a free membership. which is just as silly as if he had done it himself.

I dont know if the person that KS was talking about was famous but for conversations sake lets pretend they are. Sounds like they thought they could just ask for one and was denied. Big whoop. Just cause they are famous doesnt mean they should ALWAYS get what they want. They should have to apply just like the rest of us.

End Rant.
    Remain Seated Please..... :o

• Disney fans for life!

Maybe one of the cancelled memberships from last year was...Michael Jackson's! :devil:

• șoș Tom șoș

[QUOTE=AO*].. that someone he knew was doing a deal with Disney. This someone that he knows asked for a membership to club 33 as part of his deal with Disney. [QUOTE]

Umm he did mention they were doing a deal with Disney. If Jerry Bruckheimer who produced Pirates, asked for one, I would be surprised that he would be denied. If the deal is (and I am assuming it is) with Disney and the dude is getting paid millions of dollars to adapt a Disney project or start an original property, a perk membership to Club 33 is not that outragous...

Hint hint- Almost all of Kevin Smith's films were produced under Miramax whose parent company is Disney. Also he is a fanboy who lives in LA, do the math.

• That's Hawt

Mabye Disney denied him Membership because he wasn't actually invited ... don't you have to be invited to be a member of Club 33?
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkmom
    this is my first buzzed post in the DMCA -- I'm really in this club because I'm a bitch more than anything. I've only had to hit the backspace 4 (oops, make that 5) times in (now 7) in this (now 9) (now 15) in this post! Damn, now I'm up to 18! Our neighbors were (19) (20) making tequilla sunrises. I thought I couldn't do tequilla (22) anymore but (24) this stuff (26) was good! It started (27) with an s

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast