• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

Can you sit in the engine of the Disneyland RR Trains?

I heard a rumor a little while ago that kids can sit up with the engineer on the Disneyland RR (Kinda like them being able to get into the wheel house on the Mark Twain). Can anyone verify this?
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

• :)

Re: Can you sit in the engine of the Disneyland RR Trains?

I dont think you can, maybe for little kids...I remember my friends tried doing this at Grad-Night because it was one of their "birthdays" and they said theres only enough room for 2 people max in there and it would be dangerous? Not sure, i've never seen anyone other than the conductors in there too...it's pretty noisy for a small child (I would think) also....

The wheel house on the mark twain is so boring though...the wheel is'nt even on anything, it's just leaned up against the window so it looks like its serving a purpose lol....and the CM that was up there (when I went up) was boring, slacker type and didnt care much, he actually closed his eyes for a minute... :/

• Disney Nazi

I don't think you can ride upfront in the train but you can on the Monorail. Kids love that.
    "Lies make baby Jesus cry!"

• Closed Account

You most certainly can get a ride in the engine cab!!

But only on engines 1 and 2 (C.K. Holliday and E.P. Ripley, respectively). Just ask the conductor next time one or both of these engines is running!

You can only board at Main Street Station, and you must ride a round trip back to Main Street. Barring that the engines need to take fuel or water, or clean the boiler water (called a "blowdown") in Frontierland, or sometimes even the mood of the engineer, you will, more often than not be allowed to ride. There is a small seat on the tender ("coal car"). Keep in mind, it's very warm, and for sensitive ears, there may be sudden and/or loud sounds.
    Last edited by Steve DeGaetano; 11-22-2005 at 04:14 PM.

• MiceChat News Team

Blog Entries

Excellent, thank you. I'll be there with my 2 nephews and neice (7,4, and 3) next week and I think it would be a treat for the 7 year old.

• Closed Account

Just to be clear in answering your question, I don't think the kids could ride without an adult, and the seat will only accommodate about two people, so if all the kids want to ride, you may need to make several trips! (ahh...my dream baby-sitting assignment!).

• MiceChat News Team

Blog Entries

Oh I'm not sitting up there with them.... I'll let thier mom and dad take turns at that. Plus I don't think the 4 and 3 year old will pay that much attention to what the older one is doing.

• Closed Account

Gotcha.

Hope you guys have fun!

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Um, I dont think you want to ride IN the engine. It gets pretty hot in there

• Still wants to be a cat!

Quote Originally Posted by Olympicnut
    Um, I dont think you want to ride IN the engine. It gets pretty hot in there
    Could count on you for that one!
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• Gumball Rally Godfather

I rode the tender on the E.P. Ripley on Sunday, November 13th. It was AWESOME!!
    Being a fan of the Disneyland Railroad, I was able to talk to the fireman and engineer in their lingo. They were great, especially when they knew that I was aware of what they do, and of the history of the Disneyland Railroad(thanks to Steve DeGaetano and Michael Broggie, plus the E-Ticket Magazine).
    Anywho, I would highly recommend it to anyone who visits the Park on a regular basis. It allows you to better understand how the old RR operates, and what it takes to operate a "live steam" railroad, just like they did 100 years ago!!
    Thanks to Matt Ouimet and the friendly folks that operate the Disneyland Railroad for being receptive to this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity!!

Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• Infinitized!

Here's what I drive:

That's me in the cab window. Actually, I'm not an engineer yet but I'm working on it. Currently I'm still a fireman. #1077 is a 90-ton 2-6-2 built by Montreal Locomotive Works in 1923. The locomotive has a Disney connection. It starred in The Journey of Natty Gann and Shanghai Noon. It's current home is Fort Steele Heritage Town in British Columbia.

Another locomotive we have at the railway is the Dunrobin. The Dunrobin is a Scottish locomotive built in 1895. It was owned by the fourth Duke of Sutherland and named after his castle, Dunrobin Castle. It transported a number of monarchy during it's career including King Alphonso of Spain, King Edward, King George, Queen Elizabeth II and many others. Here's a pic, and to give this photo a Disney connection too, the guy in the cab holding the Stanley Cup is Anaheim Mighty Ducks team captain Scott Niedermayer:

The Dunrobin is still operational and is the only coal burning locomotive in the province. It's only pulled out on special occasions such as Fathers Day since it's 110 years old. It's not the oldest operational locomotive in North America, but I did hear it is the oldest operational with an original boiler - it hasn't had the boiler replaced yet.

There's also a three-truck Pacific Coast Shay on-site but it hasn't operated since 1989 - it neeeds a bunch of repairs to the firebox. Hopefully it'll get repaird soon and we'll be able to operate it again.

It's good to know that they give cab rides at Disneyland. Next time I go down there I'm going to do it. Does anybody know if they give roundhouse tours?

• Senior Minion

Thanks Steve for the info. I tried a couple to make it up their a couple of times and have missed out on trying to hitch a ride.I hope to make that one of my "to do's next time, I visit. Circarama great photos!
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa
    It's good to know that they give cab rides at Disneyland. Next time I go down there I'm going to do it. Does anybody know if they give roundhouse tours?
    Unfortunately, they do not give roundhouse tours...at Disneyland. They do, however, give roundhouse tours at Walt Disney World. Go figure.