Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Build the Monorail from LAX to Disneyland!

Someone should have pointed out that Ontario International Airport is the preferred airport to fly into if going to Disneyland. This point always comes up when the airlines push to expand LAX's runways/terminals.
    Google Maps says:
    LAX 41min/1hr10min traffic 35.5mi via 105
    ONT 44min/1hr0min traffic 36.5mi via 60->57
    But we know better, dont we

Any mass transit project like the one suggested here would be easier to build along this route.

The airlines say that its not profitable to fly in elsewhere b/c people dont want to fly into ONT b/c they dont know where that is. So they continue to use LAX and pay steep landing fees that are above the others as a penalty for creating too much traffic.
    I would like to see fewer flights from LAX and more flights using ONT and BUR (Burbank), after all, LAX wasn't supposed to be our only airport. We were supposed to have a network of regional airports to balance out the traffic. Los Angeles World Airports runs LAX, ONT, Van Nuys, and even Palmdale.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

For someone coming from Canada, it would cost about $200 more per direction to fly to Ontario Airport. Its not always feasible. I mean hey, I do love my syrup and that extra $400 pays for a lot of premium maple.
    Last edited by Trevor; 01-28-2011 at 10:13 PM.

• Rock Star Minion

Ever heard of John Wayne Airport in Orange County?

If ONT or BUR could extend their runways, that would make them more available to bigger planes.
    HSR from a super-sized Palmdale Airport to downtown would be most ideal.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Burbank residents do not support ANY growth of any kind at Burbank's Bob Hope Airport. It's in a residential area.

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Ever heard of John Wayne Airport in Orange County?

If ONT or BUR could extend their runways, that would make them more available to bigger planes.
    HSR from a super-sized Palmdale Airport to downtown would be most ideal.
    SNA generally costs more from many places, and has less non-stop services and that in turn makes it less desirable for many visitors, despite being closer.

I am not sure what your really talking about regarding ONT's runway's they are plenty long enough, there are airports that see larger planes with shorter runways, SAN is an example.

The NIMBY factor will never see BUR, LGB expanded by much if any from where they stand today.

Airlines serve the airports passengers want to go to, if passengers wanted to fly to ONT they would demand the service, they are not, so LAX will continue to serve as the primary airport for Los Angeles and surrounds.

Heck I've been known to fly into LAX and take Amtrak down to San Diego as its sometimes 50-60% less to fly into LAX even with the train vs SAN.

• Rock Star Minion

For the big bang-for-buck, 747's and other large carriers need to be able to land and take off.

Yes, it's too bad that cities grew up around the present airports. that's why Palmdale is a feasible future alternative, as long as there is mass transit to it. Someone needs to start tunneling through the San Gabriels. Palmdale Airport is slightly east of north of Downtown LA. About 15-20 miles of tunneling.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith11618 View Post
    Heck I've been known to fly into LAX and take Amtrak down to San Diego as its sometimes 50-60% less to fly into LAX even with the train vs SAN.
    Use the FlyAway Bus Service from LAX to Union Station, I think it's $3 and the bus makes no stops in between the airport and the train station. It's a cushy tour bus, not a city bus. Hope you're not paying for a taxi.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Palmdale Airport is slightly east of north of Downtown LA. About 15-20 miles of tunneling.
    They're not even considering tunnelling for the High Speed Rail. It'll come around the pass from Palmdale to Santa Clarita to Sylmar to Burbank.

• Rock Star Minion

Slow, Winding and Frequently Stopping Rail (or SWFSR) it is, then.

For Palmdale, I propose altering the current Metrolink railway norteasterly just past the current Palmdale Station toward the airport, then a hard west-northwest path back to the current right of way.

And this is only if Palmdale were to become a busier airport.

I'm envisioning what Denver did.

• Banned User

California couldn't pay for such a white elephant, since Cali is almost broke. As for Disney, I would much rather that they put that kind of money into their theme parks. They all need improvement.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Burbank residents do not support ANY growth of any kind at Burbank's Bob Hope Airport. It's in a residential area.
    Same goes for Newport Beach residents and John Wayne Airport. They have placed extreme noise abatements on takeoffs for this reason. Ever fly out of there? For people who have and aren't aware of this, it sounds like the engines are shutting off mid take-off. Needless to say this can be quite alarming.

• Banned User

Sounds insanely expensive for something that wouldn't be particularly useful, needed or profitable.

• Jack of All Trades

I think a monorail from DLR to Las Vegas would be awesome and could capture the many the many tourist dollars spent in Vegas. People could spend a few nights on the Strip and then take the monorail to Disneyland for the finish of their vacation. Let's do this.
    "People of Earth, how are you?"

A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

"I am a nice shark, not a mindless eating machine. If I am to change this image, I must first change myself.
    Fish are friends, not food."

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dude4real View Post
    I think a monorail from DLR to Las Vegas would be awesome and could capture the many the many tourist dollars spent in Vegas. People could spend a few nights on the Strip and then take the monorail to Disneyland for the finish of their vacation. Let's do this.
    There's been more than one proposal to put High Speed Rail in from Anaheim to Vegas. But none of them seem to be going anywhere, they are all off track.

Coming Soon: High Speed Rail to Vegas? - CBS News

Obama Wants High-Speed Rail For Vegas - Las Vegas News Story ...

Republicans, however, have mocked the idea publicly, saying the city doesn't need a "train to Disneyland."

For the big bang-for-buck, 747's and other large carriers need to be able to land and take off.
    At ONT runway length certainly wont keep 747, 777 and other large aircraft out, its plenty long enough, but I dont know if the terminal can handle aircraft of that size.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast