Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Build the Monorail from LAX to Disneyland!

So I think most people know the story of the failed bid by Disney to build a monorail going straight from LAX to Disneyland, and I say it's high time they bring that idea back and get it built!

I mean seriously.. a monorail going straight from LAX to DLR would be amazing! And it would be so great not just for people flying in to visit, but also for people who live in LA, because instead of driving and parking when you go to the park, you could just go to LAX, park there or take the metro, and just take the monorail straight there! It'd be cheaper, faster, and save gas and pollution. They could even maybe make one or two stops along the way and it would become almost like a Disneyland Metro, so people living in the area between LAX and DLR could also just take the monrail instead of driving as well. Or if you lived say, in LA, and wanted to go down near the OC where there was a stop, you could just hop on the monorail and take it down like another metro.

Then when that was built and worked, Disney could maybe build another one going from the John Wayne airport to the DLR with a stop or two inbetween as well.

And they could maybe have passes just for the monorail system, or have options built into annual passes to use the system.

Plus, LA is pushing hard their metro system and plan to more than double it over the next decade or so. And with so many people in LA driving to Disneyland every day, this is also a very green option and something that would help alleviate a lot of traffic on the various freeways people in LA have to take to get to DL.
    Words any Disney fan and especially Disney employee should live by:

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."
    -Walt Disney

"Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."
    -Walt Disney

"I do not like to repeat successes, I like to go on to other things."
    -Walt Disney

"We did it, Disneyland, in the knowledge that most of the people I talked to thought it would be a financial disaster - closed and forgotten within the first year."
    -Walt Disney

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."
    -Walt Disney

"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse."
    -Walt Disney

• Parking Lot > DCA

Re: Build the Monorail from LAX to Disneyland!

They need to make the seats more comfortable in that thing before they think of any sort of transit that will take more than 10 minutes.

Haha, yea probably. They could make it like a whole ride experience geared toward people on trips who flew in from elsewhere. Have screens with videos playing talking about the things the park has to offer or upcoming events and special things going on that people can do. Or different little interactive features or mini games kids could play on the ride down.
    Words any Disney fan and especially Disney employee should live by:

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."
    -Walt Disney

"Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."
    -Walt Disney

"I do not like to repeat successes, I like to go on to other things."
    -Walt Disney

"We did it, Disneyland, in the knowledge that most of the people I talked to thought it would be a financial disaster - closed and forgotten within the first year."
    -Walt Disney

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."
    -Walt Disney

"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse."
    -Walt Disney

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by JamesDusenberry View Post
    Haha, yea probably. They could make it like a whole ride experience geared toward people on trips who flew in from elsewhere. Have screens with videos playing talking about the things the park has to offer or upcoming events and special things going on that people can do. Or different little interactive features or mini games kids could play on the ride down.
    That would be pretty cool! Anything deterring from LA traffic is alright in my book!

• The Fantasyland guy

As much as I woud love to see this, it will never happen. Lets look at the numbers. If we take the costs to build the Las Vegas Monorail on it's short 3.9 mile line, which amounted to about $166.7 Million per mile and multiply that by the distance, 34.7 miles, you get: $5,784,490,000.

We can use the Vegas Monorail as a template as it is built to the ALWEG standard and for the first seven years of its operation, was operating only Disney trains (ex-WDW trains to be exact)

At almost 6 Billion dollars, It would never happen.

Cost source: Monorail Capital Costs: Reality Check
    Las Vegas Monorail Disney history: Las Vegas Monorail and Alweg Heritage

I like the idea but...

I see two potential backers to pay for this: Disney and the State of California and no compeling reason for either to jump on board.

I don't think there is any financial reason for Disney to do this. We cannot compare this to the Magical express in Florida. In Florida Magical express drops you off at a Disney resort and is only included with Disney hotel stays.

In Anaheim I would guess that 80% (or more) of the people taking the monorail would head straight to the hotels on Harbor and the sorounding area.

If Disney paid for this then they wouldn't get any of the parking fees to pay for the existing parking structure.

The State of California would not pay for this either. This would be viewed as the tax payers financially supporting Disney. Also Universal, Knotts and others would be left out? Also California does not have any money. I doubt any one city would pay either since the monorail would cross multiple jurisdictions.

Then we have not even talked about the monorail path.

• Always Dreaming

It wouldn't work because it's not a "straight shot" to Disneyland from LAX. You have to take 4 freeways to get to Disneyland from LAX, and to build a monorail along all of them? It would take years and cause more trouble than it's worth. It would cause traffic issues and make everyone mad.

Plus they already have a bus that takes people staying at the hotels directly to the park from LAX, so Disney really has no motivation for this.
    http://aurorahermione.tumblr.com - costuming and random Disney stuff

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by JamesDusenberry View Post
    So I think most people know the story of the failed bid by Disney to build a monorail going straight from LAX to Disneyland
    I don't believe Disney--the company nor the man--was ever involved in trying to get monorails operating in Los Angeles.

However, according to Ray Bradbury in an article entitled "L.A.'s Future is up in the air," published in the LA Times a few years ago, the Alweg company is the one that made the proposal to the LA County Board of Supervisors--who roundly rejected the idea.

It was to be a massive monorial system, traversing the entire LA metro region. A transportation system to rival anything.

Oh yeah...and Alweg was going to build the entire system FOR FREE!!

• Parking Lot > DCA

Wishful thinking though! I like the idea!

• Just this guy......

We have had the Green Line light rail system only a few miles away from LAX and we have never been able to get a station into the airport. So the odds of getting a monorail I think are fairly slim.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

James, I love your enthusiasm. This will never happen, BUT here's what will (fingers crossed):

* California High Speed Rail - There will be a line from Anaheim to Los Angeles, another from San Diego to Ontario to Los Angeles (not through Anaheim), and from there the trains will go north to either San Francisco or Sacramento. Anaheim is set to build ARTIC - a giant train/bus station, and if these things go through, some sort of Anaheim funded monorail or peoplemover is slated to connect Future Gate 3/Convention Center, Future Pumbaa Garage and the ARTIC Center with a fixed guideway system of some sort.

* Measure R was passed a few years ago in Los Angeles, funding all kinds of subway and light rail projects accross LA County. Currently, LA County transportation officials are trying to get federal loans to accelerate the construction timeline from 30 years to just 10.

So one day, you may be able to transfer between a couple of different trains and get yourself from LAX to Disneyland by rail. But it won't be a nonstop express monorail that goes directly from Point A to Point B.

For more information about all of these developments, please join us over at this thread:

Mass Transit 2 the Disneyland Resort

• Rock Star Minion

Also note that there are at least a million people who live between LAX and Disneyland.
    And, do note that not that many people come to Los Angeles only for Disneyland. 59 million passengers, maybe a million or so go to Disneyland. And no, even though that is a large number, there are a million cars on the roads EVERY DAY here.

Now, if we want to take existing mass transportation and extend it to D-Land somehow....

1. From the end of THe Green Line at The 105 and The 605 in Norwalk.
    2. Add track (not merely Green Lione track but perhaps a monorail) northbound to Imperial Highway.
    3. East along Imperial Highway to the tracks (the right of way -- cheaper and less negative PR than bulldozing houses) along Firestone Blvd.
    4. Southeast along the right of way.
    5. Meets with The 5 and runs parallel to it.
    6. At West Broadway, the track forks south and east. Optimal path is to keep heading southeast between Manchester Avenue and The 5 until Manchester becomes Disneyland Drive.
    7. Follow Disneyland Drive to Monorail station in DTD.

Done.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

As much as I would LOVE to see a municipal Monorail system in LA, it isn't a cost effective system on a large scale. Too expensive. However, that doesn't mean that some form of light rail and expanded sub/rail lines couldn't be built with the political push of the Disney Company.

Though, my guess is that Disney would push for a connector between the port of Los Angeles and Anaheim before LAX. That would help them tie their cruise line closer to the resort.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

LA County spends tranportation dollars on rail.

Orange County widens freeways.

They need light rail in OC but they won't ever go for it down below the Orange Curtain.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    As much as I would LOVE to see a municipal Monorail system in LA, it isn't a cost effective system on a large scale. Too expensive. However, that doesn't mean that some form of light rail and expanded sub/rail lines couldn't be built with the political push of the Disney Company.

Though, my guess is that Disney would push for a connector between the port of Los Angeles and Anaheim before LAX. That would help them tie their cruise line closer to the resort.

I don't think that's any more feasible than using current transportation options: buses and freeways. Then again, nothing is, when the infrastructure is already built.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast