Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: Will Tower of Terror @ DCA ever be Randomized?

Quote Originally Posted by EeyorezLilSis View Post
    IIRC they have the zoom at screamin and space mountain.
    I'm aware, which is why I'm perplexed that Tower lacks it.

Sure the nice picture with everyone in the elevator is nice but sometimes I'd like to have a picture with just my group in it, nice to get a good look at everyones expressions up close. Particularly if you get stuck in the back row (of course zooming might not help if peoples hands cover your face)
    "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Alternate drop sequences have been on again off again for DCA's tower for a long time. Essentially, they are being saved for a time of marketing advantage. At the moment, DCA is white hot with World of Color, ElecTRONica and the soon to open Mermaid and Carsland. Chances are that they will save a new drop sequence for a marketing campaign rather than letting it get lost in buzz surrounding so many new attractions.
    MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

Quote Originally Posted by Roythe13th View Post
    I don't think I would want truly random. DCA's Tower gets a bad rep for it's lack of 5th dimension room and some other thematic issues (like unthemed hallway when you enter/exit elevator) but many who have done both the Florida and California's ToT really like the DCA drop profile, even if it's the same one every time. I have known people who experience Florida's ToT often and claim they sometimes get a less than stellar drop portion of the ride.
    I'm glad they didn't bring the 5th Dimension room to DCA. I've never understood the appeal of it, other than adding a little extra time to the ride. To me, it just feels like I'm in a big box sliding across a dark, lightly-themed room... nothing more. Not that DCA's effects can't be improved.

I agree about the weird hallway (although I think it's themed fine). That, along with the immediate backwards motion of the elevators, just reduces the feeling of "reality" that you're supposed to feel at the start.

Quote Originally Posted by Roythe13th View Post
    I would rather Disney develop 3 or 4 really great drop profiles and then it be random which one you get but all of them would provide a great experience and none would be considered "the weak one".
    I agree completely. That's always been my concern with DCA adding multiple profiles. Just add a couple more solid drop profiles for some variety and I would be happy.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DannyLand View Post
    how is it that the tower itself is 20 stories but the drop is 13 stories.
    and that wdw has 8 different vehicles but only 2 elevators.
    personally the drop should be 30 secs longer than it is. only cus the ride is too short.
    Stories are not always exactly 10' floor-to-floor. The number 13 was chosen for its relationship with the superstitious, the larger height is both a means of containing the equipment and making the building more imposing.

The attraction at the Disney-MGM Studios has an entirely different ride system than was used in the subsequent versions (Anaheim, Tokyo and Paris).
    http://www.towerofterror.org/media/ToT_WDW_Diagram.jpg

• TDS and TDL FUN times

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Cool View Post
    Im sure they will.. once they need a new sort of promotion to go back to the parks
    No need to now maybe at the earliest 2013... Disney has plenty to market between now and then

•     
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Orbital Pluto

Folks, a few of the posts from this thread have been removed for being off topic, some for grave dancing, and others have been edited and remain here with their on-topic portions, which follow the rules of this site. If you've got questions about a former member of the site, that is not a subject for discussion on a public board. Please ask your questions of a Moderator via PM or use the "Contact Us' Section at the bottom of the site.

Thanks for your help and for your understanding.
    "Not Carnegie, Vanderbilt, and Astor together could have
    raised money enough to buy a quarter share in my little dog."

Ernest Thompson Seton

• Workin to live,lovin life

Quote Originally Posted by RollingBoulder View Post
    I'm glad they didn't bring the 5th Dimension room to DCA. I've never understood the appeal of it, other than adding a little extra time to the ride. To me, it just feels like I'm in a big box sliding across a dark, lightly-themed room... nothing more. Not that DCA's effects can't be improved.

I agree about the weird hallway (although I think it's themed fine). That, along with the immediate backwards motion of the elevators, just reduces the feeling of "reality" that you're supposed to feel at the start.

I agree completely. That's always been my concern with DCA adding multiple profiles. Just add a couple more solid drop profiles for some variety and I would be happy.
    I agree with this as well now that I think about it. Keep it a few different drop profiles rather than the chance of a very weak sequence.

• =)

That's interesting what you said about the 5th dimension room, RollingBoulder. I've never been on the WDW version, sadly, but I usually hear positive things about that scene. Interesting to get a contrasting opinion. Guess I'll just have to finally make it out to WDW to check it out for myself.

• Embrace the kitsch!

Quote Originally Posted by lighttragic View Post
    No need to now maybe at the earliest 2013... Disney has plenty to market between now and then
    Wow. You don't know how sad this post makes me. I know it was meant as just a simple statement, but I think it speaks volumes about DL today versus 20 years ago or more. No need to make this improvement unless there's something to market.

What was that about training your customers to expect less?
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

• X-S TECH Demonstrator

Note - I haven't read any of the other posts, so if I repeat something, I'm sorry.

Money. The show scenes from WDW were cut with only about 1 making it to the DCA version. The 5th dimension scene was cut because of problems at WDW when the elevators were too slow. This caused the elevators before it to stop and wait for the one after it to hurry up. The random drops were most likely cut for money. DCA's ToT was a way to try and lure people into the park in 2004. I'm sure they wanted to make the park famous quick, so instead of spending the money on randomized drops they cut it for the same amount of drops and lifts each time. :P

It hasn't been confirmed yet if ToT is getting random drops. It's rumored, but not confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheking View Post
    CaptainEO,ATIS: Have you ever heard that rumor that Elvis is alive, and well, and owns a bakery in Seattle? Yeah, that's total crap. Now if you where to tell me Michael Jackson was alive, and well, and owns a MiceChat account in Las Vegas, that I would believe!

• Workin to live,lovin life

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    How does paying to have a ride removed and then paying to either fill or patch the spot make them money?
    The maintenance, upkeep, power, and staffing can be used for other things. The money spent on an attraction can be put into another's budget. It's money saved once the cost of removing and/or filling something is paid for. Kinda like Maliboomer... or why Pooh Bear is closed right now. Rather than wasting CM's and maintenance and other costs, they shut it down for a while.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wreckless Abrandon View Post
    The maintenance, upkeep, power, and staffing can be used for other things. The money spent on an attraction can be put into another's budget. It's money saved once the cost of removing and/or filling something is paid for. Kinda like Maliboomer... or why Pooh Bear is closed right now. Rather than wasting CM's and maintenance and other costs, they shut it down for a while.
    The attraction would cost tens of thousands to replace with nothing and there is no future benefit for doing so. The cost of Heimlichs would be very low compared to the Maliboomer with a fraction of the staffing and maintenance. Even then the cost savings alone was not enough to justify removing the Maliboomer and numerous other factors like theme, ridership, sight lines and future possibilities played a role in the decision. Basically this is not a fair comparison. The park needs capacity and considering the attraction you selected probably costs under 100 dollars an hour equivalent to run and sees riders, removing it makes no sense.

It's not a big enough savings to pay its removal off before boosting a budget of another attraction in a meaningful way and not expensive enough to justify removing to eliminate waste.

As a side note, the past thing DCA needs Is an empty corner here too.
    Last edited by Trevor; 01-31-2011 at 11:08 AM.

• Want some candy?

in a house made of sticks in a thistle patch

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    This information is invaluable! Do you know of any examples of what that looks like?
    lemme look around and see what i can find
    How shall i do it?
    I know...i'll turn him into a flea
    a harmless little flea
    then i'll put that flea in a box
    then i'll put that box into another box
    and then i'll mail that box to myself
    and when it arrives?!?!?!
    I'LL SMASH IT WITH A HAMMAH!!!!!!!!!!!
    it's Brilliant Brilliant BRILLIANT i tell you! Genius i say!

• Want some candy?

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    Stories are not always exactly 10' floor-to-floor. The number 13 was chosen for its relationship with the superstitious, the larger height is both a means of containing the equipment and making the building more imposing.
    that and the possibility of having a tennis court in the top ala matterhorn?
    kidding...just kidding!
    How shall i do it?
    a harmless little flea

• Want some candy?

Red Face Re: Will Tower of Terror @ DCA ever be Randomized?

so...when my friend and i go on ToT, we *know* the drop sequence. we are often able to make it more fun for people because we will "make the elevator move" by raising our hands and saying UP...UP...UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUP!!!!!!!!!

i've actually had people tell me that it was more fun because of what we were doing. **shrugs** if they change it and make it random...there's no guarantee that we'll be able to learn the script and know which one to do....and that makes me sad.
    How shall i do it?
    a harmless little flea

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast