Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Re: Will Tower of Terror @ DCA ever be Randomized?

No offence, but I doubt I'd find it any more fun. Almost as much more enjoyable as those people who insist on screaming the spiel to the Haunted Mansion in the Stretch Room.

Quote Originally Posted by EeyorezLilSis View Post
    lemme look around and see what i can find
    Thanks. My search proved fruitless.

• Workin to live,lovin life

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    The attraction would cost tens of thousands to replace with nothing and there is no future benefit for doing so. The cost of Heimlichs would be very low compared to the Maliboomer with a fraction of the staffing and maintenance. Even then the cost savings alone was not enough to justify removing the Maliboomer and numerous other factors like theme, ridership, sight lines and future possibilities played a role in the decision. Basically this is not a fair comparison. The park needs capacity and considering the attraction you selected probably costs under 100 dollars an hour equivalent to run and sees riders, removing it makes no sense.

It's not a big enough savings to pay its removal off before boosting a budget of another attraction in a meaningful way and not expensive enough to justify removing to eliminate waste.

As a side note, the past thing DCA needs Is an empty corner here too.
    You do realize that I jokingly said it cost $5 to make Heimlich's Chew Chew Train right? Maliboomer on the other hand didn't really need to exist in DCA. I believe it was sold to another park, which is something that Heimlich wouldn't be able to do. So I guess my tone was missed in my post about removing an attraction to reduce costs. It's the interwebz... it happens.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

I'm not sure if it was sold. I'd heard it was cut apart and shipped away instead of sold because they couldn't get all the workings out. I understood that you were saying it would reduce costs which could then be spent somewhere else but the cost of taking it out and replacing it would be so expensive that it wouldn't work that way. Thats all I was saying.

• Banned User

The Maliboomer was sold to a park and it was dismantled and it went away. FINALLY! And there are so many myths, just like a myth on the maliboomer the face shields peoplethinking they were for vomit and al lthey were to condense the screams from the guests since Paradise Pier Hotel was so close. Just as the scream tubes were on California Screaming. Im glad the attraction was sold and the eye sore is finally gone and so glad there is no more working on it. Ding Dong the Maliboomer is Dead. woot woot.

• Cars Land Rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by RollingBoulder View Post
    I'm glad they didn't bring the 5th Dimension room to DCA. I've never understood the appeal of it, other than adding a little extra time to the ride. To me, it just feels like I'm in a big box sliding across a dark, lightly-themed room... nothing more. Not that DCA's effects can't be improved.
    Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    That's interesting what you said about the 5th dimension room, RollingBoulder. I've never been on the WDW version, sadly, but I usually hear positive things about that scene. Interesting to get a contrasting opinion. Guess I'll just have to finally make it out to WDW to check it out for myself.
    I rode the WDW version many times before we got the one here at DCA. I really missed the 5th dimension room, and thought that is one thing (along with the story and theme) that really separated the Tower of Terror from other types of drop rides. It is really unexpected when the elevator leaves the shaft and moves through the hotel, and then you end up in another shaft. Mainly for that reason, I still find the WDW version superior to the one at DCA.

• Want some candy?

in a house made of sticks in a thistle patch

is there video somewhere of the 5th dimension room that y'all are talking about? i'm trying to imagine it 'cos i'm pretty sure i'll never get there.
    How shall i do it?
    I know...i'll turn him into a flea
    a harmless little flea
    then i'll put that flea in a box
    then i'll put that box into another box
    and then i'll mail that box to myself
    and when it arrives?!?!?!
    I'LL SMASH IT WITH A HAMMAH!!!!!!!!!!!
    it's Brilliant Brilliant BRILLIANT i tell you! Genius i say!

• Banned User

The WDW will always be superior to the DCA version; however, the DCA version could be further improved if they wish to make it better.

For the first room, the loading station, they should paint the entire room white. It is difficult to see the Twilight Zone drain spiral projection on the entrance door when it is painted the antique brown color. Add spectacular special effects and complete narration of what you'll expect, or not expect to see. Make the car rock and rotate to make up for the lack of the 5th dimension room.

Add a second special effects room in the elevator shaft, but you get to this room after the initial drop. Add more creepy sound effects and maybe see the stars.

When going back to the original loading station, add more things to see in the original room. Add an animatronic figure of Sterling, who then disappears when the lights come up.

This ride was handicapped from the beginning. It felt rushed. It tried to fix the original ride's mechanical problems by removing the good parts. You get nothing memorable with a defective clone. It's merely a drop ride and a bit lame when you compare the height with the Maliboomer (now gone).
    Last edited by StevenW; 02-01-2011 at 10:38 AM.

• Galactic Member

I think it would be cool to use some of this new projection technology they have been using on Cinderella's Castle and Small World on TOT. Specifically in the first loading room. The projections could simulate that the elevator is going up while you are actually going backward into the shaft.
    Galactic Member

• Workin to live,lovin life

I'm actually ok without the 5th Dimension Room. I've only been on the WDW version once and remember it being cool, and adds to the attraction for sure. But if it means longer wait times, then I'm not so sure it's worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by EeyorezLilSis View Post
    is there video somewhere of the 5th dimension room that y'all are talking about? i'm trying to imagine it 'cos i'm pretty sure i'll never get there.
    There may be better ones but this is the one I've always seen.

YouTube - Tower of Terror, Disney-MGM Studios, Orlando

It's a little grainy but the best I've seen so far.

I regret not getting to ride this on my only WDW visit (I had limited time at DHS and had to decide between TOT and RNR and chose RNR because I had done TOT at DCA before) but maybe one day, I will see what the fuss is about.

• Want some candy?

in a house made of sticks in a thistle patch

Quote Originally Posted by Roythe13th View Post
    There may be better ones but this is the one I've always seen.

YouTube - Tower of Terror, Disney-MGM Studios, Orlando

It's a little grainy but the best I've seen so far.

I regret not getting to ride this on my only WDW visit (I had limited time at DHS and had to decide between TOT and RNR and chose RNR because I had done TOT at DCA before) but maybe one day, I will see what the fuss is about.
    ok so it's not *just* a drop ride at WDW. there's a ride through part also?
    How shall i do it?
    I know...i'll turn him into a flea
    a harmless little flea
    then i'll put that flea in a box
    then i'll put that box into another box
    and then i'll mail that box to myself
    and when it arrives?!?!?!
    I'LL SMASH IT WITH A HAMMAH!!!!!!!!!!!
    it's Brilliant Brilliant BRILLIANT i tell you! Genius i say!

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

Exactly. WDW's elevator leaves one shaft. Then enters another.

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

sadly ridetime wise I don't think the length of DCA's version can really be increased significantly which is really too bad.

Its a fun ride but I can't argue that its a solid ringer for the park compared to what they got in Florida. Glad we have a Tower in California though.

I do like our drop profile. I figure mix in the classic profile we have with perhaps a few of the better ones from Florida or something.
    "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    This ride was handicapped from the beginning. It felt rushed. It tried to fix the original ride's mechanical problems by removing the good parts. You get nothing memorable with a defective clone. It's merely a drop ride and a bit lame when you compare the height with the Maliboomer (now gone).
    I'm thinking that this perception is probably pretty uncommon among people who've never been on the Walt Disney World version. Doesn't make your opinion less valid - there's nothing wrong with comparing it to a version that most people agree is superior. I'm just saying that for people who've never been on a Tower of Terror attraction before, I don't think it generally comes across as merely a lame drop ride. Whenever I ride, the majority of the people seem to either have a great time or be relieved that they've survived. Sometimes both. (Surely, there are people who find anything without extreme thrills lame, but they're a rather distinct group who might be happier with Six Flags and the like.)

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    I'm thinking that this perception is probably pretty uncommon among people who've never been on the Walt Disney World version. Doesn't make your opinion less valid - there's nothing wrong with comparing it to a version that most people agree is superior. I'm just saying that for people who've never been on a Tower of Terror attraction before, I don't think it generally comes across as merely a lame drop ride. Whenever I ride, the majority of the people seem to either have a great time or be relieved that they've survived. Sometimes both. (Surely, there are people who find anything without extreme thrills lame, but they're a rather distinct group who might be happier with Six Flags and the like.)
    True true, and Tower is definitely one of the musts to do in DCA even if its not as good as it could be.

I do think that people pick up on the fact that its a little short as far as ridetimes go though.

I've always been a bit disappointed that the mirror scene we got in place of the 5th dimension room really only lasts about a second.
    "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast