Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Space Mountain Vehicle

Well, I couldn't resist when I saw the Space Mountain Vehicles appear on Disney Auctions. I bid on two before I finally won one.

At first Disney told me that I had to sign a release before they would ship and that the entire process would take about 6 weeks. Two weeks into it, I hadn't yet received the release forms, I received a call from a local shipping company that I had, "a very large shipment from Disney".

Well, I rushed home and cleaned the garage like a madman that night. The next day, my vehicle arrived. It was rather dirty as it appears that it was stored outside, but I'm working on cleaning it up and I am enjoying every minute of it.

I'm curious to know if anyone else on the board has purchased a ride vehicle, especially one of these, as I have some questions and would like to discuss restoration plans.

PS While I very much enjoy the merchandise on the auction site, purchasing anything always seems like an adventure.

• Disney fans for life!

Congratulations on your new purchase. What a blast to have one of those at your house.

Though I have never bought anything that big, I have purchased quite a few artifacts from the Park through the auction site.

Good luck with the restoration project. Pictures, we want pictures!

• "Retired" DL Tour Guide

DLFan, what do you plan to do with your vehicle?
    -"We can see a new horizon...built on all that we have done..and our dreams begin another thousand circles 'round the sun!"
    -- Epcot: Illuminations "Reflections of Earth"

-"...Each dream that you chase, each wish you embrace can lead to a fabulous faraway place...!"
    --DCA: World Of Color

• That's Hawt

His own Mini Space Mountain!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkmom
    this is my first buzzed post in the DMCA -- I'm really in this club because I'm a bitch more than anything. I've only had to hit the backspace 4 (oops, make that 5) times in (now 7) in this (now 9) (now 15) in this post! Damn, now I'm up to 18! Our neighbors were (19) (20) making tequilla sunrises. I thought I couldn't do tequilla (22) anymore but (24) this stuff (26) was good! It started (27) with an s

Quote Originally Posted by MiceMan
    His own Mini Space Mountain!!!
    Well, they could have track pieces start showing up on Auction since they have replaced the track.

• Disneyland and TDR fan!

My question may sound stupid but does it have wheels? I saw pictures before and it seems like they are only auctioning the body of the vehicle.

• That's Hawt

Quote Originally Posted by Arnie
    Well, they could have track pieces start showing up on Auction since they have replaced the track.
    THAT WOULD BE AWWWWESOME!
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkmom
    this is my first buzzed post in the DMCA -- I'm really in this club because I'm a bitch more than anything. I've only had to hit the backspace 4 (oops, make that 5) times in (now 7) in this (now 9) (now 15) in this post! Damn, now I'm up to 18! Our neighbors were (19) (20) making tequilla sunrises. I thought I couldn't do tequilla (22) anymore but (24) this stuff (26) was good! It started (27) with an s

• I was deleted.

May I ask how much you spent on it? I don't remember the cost of those cars and I'm curious. I want the baby from Bear Country-- he's cute!

• Que que no-tu-rah.

What a cool thing to have! You can start a whole collection of Dinsey attraction vehicles. That would be real sweet.

Where are you going to put it? How are you going to use it? I"m very curious to know what you plan on doing with it.
    What if the Hokey-Pokey really is what it's all about?

Left the church, but not the parishioners.
    I've been wanting one for awhile, but it will probably have to wait until I get a house. I'd either turn it into a dining table by having a base built for it, and then a glass piece to go over the top. Or, I'd stand it on the end and fit it with shelves as a cool bookcase to display Tomorrowland memorabilia.

• Still wants to be a cat!

I was wondering if anyone every really bought those items....obviously someone does. Post some pictures of what it looks like now, and then again when it is restored. Any plans to buy the Skybucket? That would be a great outdoor picnic table.
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

I'd love to post some pictures, but either I can't or I just plain can't figure it out. If someone can give me a tip, I'll certainly do so.

As far as cost, I got really lucky. I bid on the second of two vehicles that ended early one morning. I got it for a little under $2700, Disney charged me $900 for shipping, which based on the estimates that I received was pretty cheap to get it all the way to St. Louis. I think paid the least amount for any so far.

What am I going to do with it? Well, clean it up to try to make it as near perfect as possible, get the speakers working and the sound track setup, and then maybe try to add some effects around it. Problem is that it weighs 700 lbs so it's not easy to move.

One question, I got a back rocket so it has a red rubber "exhaust" fixture in the back. It's pretty limp. Does anyone remember how it looked? Did the ride just depend on the wind to puff it up and make it look like an actual exhaust area?

No, there are no wheels, it's basically flat on the bottom. Some of the rubber interior pieces, like a few of the head rests have some good chunks out of them, but basically it is in pretty good shape. It will live in the garage as in addition to the weight, it's just plain too big to fit through any existing doors of the house.

My wife asked me if this is the beginning of a more extensive collection. It could be. There are just two minor details, cost and space. Remove those barriers and a skybucket or peoplemover car would be next.

Oh, one other very cool detail. It does glow in the dark.

Left the church, but not the parishioners.
    Quote Originally Posted by DLFan
    One question, I got a back rocket so it has a red rubber "exhaust" fixture in the back. It's pretty limp. Does anyone remember how it looked? Did the ride just depend on the wind to puff it up and make it look like an actual exhaust area?
    Those were always rigid. To puff it up, get a can of polyfoam insulation (probably will need a couple), and make a small hole (if there isn't one already), and fill it slowly (the stuff expands to 3 times its sprayed size once it sets). The poly foam dries hard and remains light-weight, since I'm sure you dont' want to add to those 700 pounds.

Respect to you on your acquisition of a ride vehicle!
    Have to say a Space Mountain rocket has to be one of the best to have in the house bur rather amusingly my dad has always liked the fibreglass brooms from Fantasia that are in Mickey's House...lol any news of these on auction?

Disneyfile, thanks for the tip. I'll take a look at that tonight. I don't really see how that would work as it simply looks like a piece of formed rubber about 1/2" thick, but I hope you're right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast