Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 63
  1. #31

    • Senior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Biggest Little City in the World
    Posts
    1,374

    Re: Ugh backstage at Disneyland is Depressing.

    The belly of the beast is never a pretty sight.
    You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.



  2. #32

    • Hopping DLR for 40 Years
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    108

    Hey, folks... look at it this way

    As Steve said above, backstage Disneyland is an equally magical place as is the onstage Park. If you really look, you'll note that backstage is really very small in relation to the size of the park itself. The sheer volume of various tasks and operations that take place back there is astounding.

    As for characters - yes, they typically use only certain backstage doors, and yes, there are "segregated" areas in backstage for characters. The area between Tomorrowland and Main Street is quite complex, very crowded, and impossible to properly isolate characters, the occasional guest and visting band. Parades end there, the CM entry is there, food service is there, etc., etc.

    If you're ever backstage, just look around in wonder, realize that Alice is just a girl, and you ARE in Wonderland.

  3. #33

    • Cast Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Half way around the world from Anaheim
    Posts
    148

    Re: Ugh backstage at Disneyland is Depressing.

    I don't know what guests find so alluring about backstage. Its where the maintainence and other tasks keeping operation of the park running smooth occur. Movement of cast members, goods and products, equipment... all have to be done beyond the view of guests. Its almost like an industrial area, especially the North side. Backstage isn't intended to be the 9th land.

    Break rooms are segregated for a reason... and I'll leave it at that. It has nothing to do with preserving the magic for other cast members.

  4. #34

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    North Pole, CA
    Posts
    751

    Re: Ugh backstage at Disneyland is Depressing.

    Quote Originally Posted by NavyCopSB
    I don't know what guests find so alluring about backstage. Its where the maintainence and other tasks keeping operation of the park running smooth occur. Movement of cast members, goods and products, equipment... all have to be done beyond the view of guests. Its almost like an industrial area, especially the North side. Backstage isn't intended to be the 9th land.

    Break rooms are segregated for a reason... and I'll leave it at that. It has nothing to do with preserving the magic for other cast members.
    But it's the mystique! The mystery! I was always curious before I worked there. On the map it shows these lush forest glenns of nothing, that I could not get to. Surely they must magical places that taunted me. What is around that corner? Something special I'm sure.
    The truth of the matter is that everything at Disneyland is expertly designed to provide cleanliness and themed magic to every guest's sightlines. Look where your no supposed to- look behind your doom buggie, poke around a Cast Member Only sign, peek through a construction fence, and you will find.......nothing even remotely interesting. All there is to see, is already out there for the guests, that is how the park is designed.
    The Next Big Disney Thing: starts Jan. 3rd

  5. #35

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sierra Madre, CA
    Posts
    290

    Re: Ugh backstage at Disneyland is Depressing.

    Quote Originally Posted by NavyCopSB
    I don't know what guests find so alluring about backstage. Its where the maintainence and other tasks keeping operation of the park running smooth occur. Movement of cast members, goods and products, equipment... all have to be done beyond the view of guests. Its almost like an industrial area, especially the North side. Backstage isn't intended to be the 9th land.
    That's what I'm trying to say. Backstage is not intended to be another land for people to visit so I don't know what the heck everyone is complaining about. I mean, if all on here are Cast Members and complaining about cleanliness, then fine, because it's their workplace, but from what I've read on this thread is that it's mostly non-Disney workers complaining about a place that YOU'RE NOT EVEN ALLOWED TO GO TO!!!!

  6. #36

    • Cast Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Half way around the world from Anaheim
    Posts
    148

    Re: Ugh backstage at Disneyland is Depressing.

    Think of the backstage area like a loading dock and stockroom of a store. Its intended to be efficent and store things to be placed on the shelves or on the racks. Nothing magical about stocking a store so why would this place be special to those who don't need to be there. JUST LET BACKSTAGE BE and quit complaining about how its not guest friendly. Its not supposed to be.

  7. #37

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sierra Madre, CA
    Posts
    290

    Re: Ugh backstage at Disneyland is Depressing.

    Quote Originally Posted by NavyCopSB
    Think of the backstage area like a loading dock and stockroom of a store. Its intended to be efficent and store things to be placed on the shelves or on the racks. Nothing magical about stocking a store so why would this place be special to those who don't need to be there. JUST LET BACKSTAGE BE and quit complaining about how its not guest friendly. Its not supposed to be.
    THANK YOU!!!!

  8. #38

    • MiceChat Administrator
    • Helping build Tomorrow
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Santa Ana, CA
    Posts
    4,633

    Re: Ugh backstage at Disneyland is Depressing.

    And you thought Backstage at Disneyland was depressing:

    *

    *Actual photo taken from actual location (that I don't actually have access to) where actual MiceChat server is, actually.

    Last edited by Monorail Man; 11-24-2005 at 10:43 PM.
    -Monorail Man

  9. #39

    • Senior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,572

    Re: Ugh backstage at Disneyland is Depressing.

    Quote Originally Posted by DLResident
    That's what I'm trying to say. Backstage is not intended to be another land for people to visit so I don't know what the heck everyone is complaining about. I mean, if all on here are Cast Members and complaining about cleanliness, then fine, because it's their workplace, but from what I've read on this thread is that it's mostly non-Disney workers complaining about a place that YOU'RE NOT EVEN ALLOWED TO GO TO!!!!
    I think people are complaining about Disneyland allowing certain guests to go backstage.

    The Magic Music Days groups should not be allowed to see the underbelly of Disneyland.

    Let them go to D.C.A., instead.

  10. #40

    • Cast Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Half way around the world from Anaheim
    Posts
    148

    Re: Ugh backstage at Disneyland is Depressing.

    Regardless of which park the Magic Music Days goes to perform, they still have to do their warm up in the rehearsal halls behind Toontown. Backstage is the most effecent way to get a large group of people warmed up, formed up, step off. The areas that those performers go through are well kept. However, one must consider that these backstage areas are working areas. Backstage exists in DCA as well.

  11. #41

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    North Pole, CA
    Posts
    751

    Re: Ugh backstage at Disneyland is Depressing.

    Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist
    I think people are complaining about Disneyland allowing certain guests to go backstage.

    The Magic Music Days groups should not be allowed to see the underbelly of Disneyland.

    Let them go to D.C.A., instead.
    You know what? Honestly backstage at D.C.A is quite nice.
    The Next Big Disney Thing: starts Jan. 3rd

  12. #42

    • =)
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    13,290

    Re: Ugh backstage at Disneyland is Depressing.

    I see no problem with allowing MMD students backstage at Disneyland. Every one of them has made a choice to participate. No, backstage is not pleasant place. As several people have pointed out, that's not why it's there. It's fine for people to be intrigued by it, nevertheless. The whole reason people become fascinated by it is that it's NOT magical.

    I'm sure if I spent a few years working as a CM, all my curiosities would be satisfied and I'd never feel a need to go backstage again (except perhaps to relive some old memories).

    DCA has smaller crowds and therefore smaller audiences. Why should students perform there instead of at Disneyland? The Plaza Gardens stage is a far more pleasant venue than any in DCA, anyway.


  13. #43

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    1,178

    Re: Ugh backstage at Disneyland is Depressing.

    Its backstage what do you expect, Disneyland is the stage my dear and backstage is a place for the actors to get ready and be in place for the stage.
    Jeff Wayne







  14. #44

    • Senior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,572

    Re: Ugh backstage at Disneyland is Depressing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Datameister
    I see no problem with allowing MMD students backstage at Disneyland. Every one of them has made a choice to participate.

    DCA has smaller crowds and therefore smaller audiences. Why should students perform there instead of at Disneyland? The Plaza Gardens stage is a far more pleasant venue than any in DCA, anyway.
    Magic Music Days is not the only culprit. Walt Disney World is also allowing guests backstage on various tours, and I have seen many Disney television specials that have destroyed some very important illusions.

    The fewer people that know the secrets, the better.

    I have heard several people who participate in the Magic Music Days program by virtue of their membership in these groups tell me that they were better not seeing the way backstage works. One truly never looks at Disneyland the same way again.

    Backstage at D.C.A., conversely, is almost as charming as on-Stage at D.C.A.

    Additionally, I have always believed that guest performers never fit well with Main Street, U.S.A. or any of the four cardinal realms of Disneyland; whereas, D.C.A. could benefit from the authenticity local bands (from present-day California, mind you) can provide.

    D.C.A. should aspire to be a community center, to borrow Walt Disney's term. The park could also use the extra business. The purpose of Magic Music Days, after all, is to increase the overall number of admissions Disney sells.

    Furthermore, the unprofessionalism of many of these performers makes them ill-suited to the Disneyland Stage, whereas, at D.C.A., the average guest will understand better the context in which Disney is hosting these guest bands.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 11-26-2005 at 04:15 PM.

  15. #45

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    In a 3D movie theater
    Posts
    4,834

    Re: Ugh backstage at Disneyland is Depressing.

    Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist
    Backstage at D.C.A., conversely, is almost as charming as on-Stage at D.C.A.
    Check out my other blog:

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. So how depressing is this...
    By Junthor in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-30-2008, 01:17 PM
  2. How can I legally get a look at backstage Disneyland?
    By FutureImagineer in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 03-11-2008, 07:42 AM
  3. BACKSTAGE Disneyland 5K Fun Run
    By TP2000 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-18-2006, 09:25 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •