Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• The Marvel Jedi

Whittier, California (just a half-hour from Disneyland)

Ugh backstage at Disneyland is Depressing.

Ok so ya i had a blast marching before the parade today, but when we were backstage it was so dirty and lank. Ind its kinda weird to see actors in the parade in half costume and listening to an i-pod. i have never seen any actord break character in full costume until today it was sorta strange.

I just loved hearing Alice from "Alice in Wonderland" talk about some guy named Greg who ditched her at a party.

But my friend started getting all teary eyed when she saw some character heads she was like it ruins the fantasy.

man Disney is crazy have any of you had any other simalar experiences?
    Passive-Aggressive Peanut Butter Sandwich. x_x

• ...lurks...

Re: Ugh backstage at Disneyland is Depressing.

Well, try not to get too weirded out about it. It's backstage, like a play or fashion show is. You go backstage and you see people half-dressed (costumes) or have half their makeup on.

• white and nerdy

Entertainment is an industry. Backstage at disneyland isn't nearly as bad as some other backstage places I've been....

The magic of Disney lives inside of you. If that is lost, for whatever reason, then the deficiency lies in you.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• no flash photography...

oops

• no flash photography...

yeah, but it didn't shock or surprise me....i'm to much of a realist to feel the "magic"...imo it's effective marketing.

• ...lurks...

Quote Originally Posted by thejoshualee
    The magic of Disney lives inside of you. If that is lost, for whatever reason, then the deficiency lies in you.

Well said!

• :)

welcome to the life of a CM =[

•   
    • Minion

Well, yes...

I have directed former costumed theme characters, many of which are still good friends of mine...

Just knowing who they are and what they played is enough for me...

The farest (cough, cough) Snow White of them all... (cough, cough)
    Check out my other blog:

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

Feel VERY lucky you only heard how Alice was DITCHED.... I have heard far worse conversations back stage while doing theatre.
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

• I love that tiny bear!

I've never been backstage, though I remember some high school friends of mine went backstage for band days and said how traumatizing it was to see a headless Mickey wandering about.

As for me, I thought it was awful strange to see an "elf" on a Christmas Fantasy parade float calmly drinking a bottled water in-between takes of their filming for the Disney World special at Disneyland. And it was over 80 degrees out and she was in the hot sun the whole time so of course she needed it. So I think I might not like going backstage very much. Sorry it spoiled the illusion for your friend, though.

• "Retired" DL Tour Guide

grrrrrrr...that angers me quite a bit...the face and fur characters are supposed to be IN CHARACTER when the guest talent (bands) are preparing to step off onto mainstreet. I'm sorry you had that experience Fantasy Forever...I'll have to talk to Entertainment 1 about that...
    -"We can see a new horizon...built on all that we have done..and our dreams begin another thousand circles 'round the sun!"
    -- Epcot: Illuminations "Reflections of Earth"

-"...Each dream that you chase, each wish you embrace can lead to a fabulous faraway place...!"
    --DCA: World Of Color

• Vehicle rotating backward

Backstage is backstage. I don't know if the OP wanted to get anyone in trouble, AP2CM. For all you know, she may have just wanted to share the sobering experience of backstage. There's not a lot of gals who fit all the demands to play Alice in the park anyway, especially in these times, so I'd hate to lose one who may be great at her job onstage, better than she was backstage.

• Glad to hear: Flynn Lives

The first time I was backstage, we saw everything just because of our timing.

Our choir was performing for Magic Music Days in the Carnation Plaza (30-minute musical medley and dance bit). I went two times durring my Hight School Years.

The first time ('93), there was some construction / referbishment, so we has to be escorded and walk in double-file from the back door in the POTC queue line, through Adventureland, and around through the hub to the Carnation. Because of this, our tram went by the characture shop, etc.

The second day there was our work shop. Both of the trams were full from our meeting point, so a couple of us "leftovers" road with a CM in a mini-van. Unfortunately, the CM got lost and we ended driving all over the backstage area before he found where we were supposed to be.

The second time ('95) were were there was a bit more interesting, as the building where they used to do the workshops was just being put under demoliton/construction so instead we were the first group ever to have a workshop in the Golden Horseshoe. (well, first Magic Music Days workshop, anyway).

It was a blast. They had problems getting the TV / VCR hooked up to do the special tape. The workshop itself was fun and informative as always. Afterwords, we were escorded across the tracks at the NOS station. I remember looking behind me to see a CM open a rope, letting guests into the area.

The whole experience destroyed a bit of the illusion for me, but not the magic. If anything, the "Disney spirit" was renforced by the cast.

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

I was 13 the first time I went backstage for MMD and honestly, it didn't ruin the magic for me at all- just inflamed my morbid curiosity. Seeing what goes on back there made me want to work there, which I eventually did.

I was fascinated by seeing things our of place, experiencing what it takes to make such a perfect and magical world. I was under no illusions that it would be a magical place, I never expected it to be.

As for the characetrs, I don't remember seeing any before I was a CM, but afterwards, well, it just depended on the CM- many would stay in character and interact with other CM's backstage. Others would fool around- I once saw a Mortal Kombat- style rumble between Buzz Lightyear and Goofy.

Then there were the Princess who acted like total bitches. Instead of being dissapointed, it kind of highlights how hard everyone works to make the magic real.
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• Dont make me unfriend you

When I worked in the mid 90's, I usually worked when the park was closed, only worked a few days when the park was opened and with guests. If I remember correctly, the characters had their own break areas and didn't use the same break areas as "normal" CM's. Also, the charcater's break areas were covered with a tarp or something, you couldn't see into them.

Funniest thing I saw was before the parked opened, I saw the Beast (he is huge) was walking to the break area carry a little Norstrum bag. I dunno, I thought it was funny.

One thing I heard, and I don't know if it was true or just an urban myth. It seems there was a little kid who was taken to First Aid for some reason. First Aid has an onstage door and a backstage door. By the back stage door is a little patio. Well, the kid went out on the patio and saw Micky and some other characters walking around without their heads. He freaked out.
    The parents sued Disney for a bunch of money. (Now that was back in the 90's, so don't tell on anybody)

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast