Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wrong generation?

I was showing the video of the new Little Mermaid ride to my boyfriend, when he brought up something that made me think. He said that he felt that they were building a children's ride with a icon that was loved more by my generation than children these days. I didn't even think about because I was so jazzed about the ride (I was a huge Ariel fan as a kid.) Do you feel like he is right? Maybe this will help bring back some popularity of the classics?

• =)

Re: Wrong generation?

There are definitely franchises that are a lot more popular with the current generation, but I don't think this one's been totally forgotten. And as you said, it was and is loved by your generation, which isn't always catered to as much. All in all, I think it was ripe for the picking, and judging just based on reactions to the construction walls alone, I think we're not the only guests who are going to go for it. I suppose only time will tell, though!

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Peter Pan and Alice are over 50 years old yet they still have fans...i know a friend who LOVES the little mermaid and have seen a couple of girls with a little mermaid purse so I think she is still relevant more than Tina and she is new.

• Banned User

Well, Disney movies are generally timeless. Kids that saw the Little Mermaid in theaters are now in their late 20's-early 30's, and have kids of their own. I'm sure most have passed the movie on to their kids. Same as when we were kids and watched some Disney films that dated back to when OUR parents were kids.

The new franchises don't have the same effect of characters as the classics do either. Many of the Disney classics were well before my time, but i still grew up with them and love the characters today.

I was just at Disney on Ice Princess Classics last night. If you saw the number of little girls dressed up like Ariel and screaming her name, you'd be as convinced as I am that The Little Mermaid is a hit with the younger kids.

• Minion

It is a Disney classic at this point! The one that got the studio back on track and it will be a hit ride just like the fantasyland classics with all generations! My little girl is 6 and she has always loved Ariel and the movie and no one is more excited then she is for the ride.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

If the Little Mermaid were to be released today as a new movie, I don't think it would be a big hit. I'm not saying it's a bad movie, it's just that our culture has changed since 1988 and movies like Princess and the Frog and Tangled just haven't been the hits they might have been if they were released 20 years ago.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    If the Little Mermaid were to be released today as a new movie, I don't think it would be a big hit. I'm not saying it's a bad movie, it's just that our culture has changed since 1988 and movies like Princess and the Frog and Tangled just haven't been the hits they might have been if they were released 20 years ago.
    Pretty sure Tangled did quite well actually. And princess and the frog was a 100 million dollar movie not great in our current times but would have been a blockbuster in 1988.

• Minion

ORDDU: Actually, I'd say there's a big difference between The Little Mermaid and Rapunzel in that both movies were created at such different times where the mind sets for BOTH were very different from each other. Rapunzel--which I refuse to call 'Tangled'--was made in a culture that is very much possessed with live action over subtle romance. Rapunzel's movie reflects this. While The Little Mermaid certainly had plenty of action, too, Rapunzel's fast paced action scenes made all other Disney fairy tale movies seem quite tame by comparison. Yet there is still something good to be said for the more gentle and subtle tales of Snow White, Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty. They will always remain popular due to their timeless natures. I think anyone who tries to suggest that the older classics aren't relevant for today is just borrowing trouble and looking for non-existant excuses to dislike them.

Not at all. As a previous poster said, Disney movies are timeless. My two kids are 8 and 5, and they're chomping at the bit for May to get here so we can check out the ride. And they're BOYS! haha

• Honorary Jungle Skipper

Like everyone else said, kids today still know and love Ariel. Most probably don't know or care when the movie came out compared to other releases.

• Earning My Ears

My DD is 8 and of all the Disney classics The Little Mermaid is the only one she truly loves - the Aristocats is a close second. I have tried to get her into all the other princesses but Ariel is the only one she likes - she is truly a Pixar kid

My niece is 2 years old and she loves The Little Mermaid. It's one of the handful of classic Disney movies that will be in pop culture for many generations...including Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin and the Lion King. Sadly, I like 15 years from now films like Princess/Frog and Tangled will be long forgotten. They dont have the same quality as the 90s classics.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DreamsofColor View Post
    My niece is 2 years old and she loves The Little Mermaid. It's one of the handful of classic Disney movies that will be in pop culture for many generations...including Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin and the Lion King. Sadly, I like 15 years from now films like Princess/Frog and Tangled will be long forgotten. They dont have the same quality as the 90s classics.
    I disagree about PatF and Tangled, they both are in the classic musical style. Everyone my age that has seen them, loved them to death, much more then Lilo and Stitch or any other movie from the past decade.
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast