Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking Any tips for bringing a toddler and an infant to the parks for two days?

I am planning an impromptu trip with my wife and two young kids next week. We love the parks and we figured that we would have a good time with our toddler, even if he is quite young for most of the attractions. It has been almost three years since we went to the park and it is time for some Disnification.

Questions:

1) Is there a height limit for Pirates (he is not scared of the dark)?
    2) How long do you have to wait for the world of color show before it starts?
    3) How cold is it in the parks right now?
    4) What are your toddlers favorite rides?

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can offer.
    - Bobd

• Rock Star Minion

Re: Any tips for bringing a toddler and an infant to the parks for two days?

1. No limit.
    2. I haven't waited yet. I also have not seen it yet. Get a fastpass.
    3. Not as cold as Reno. Most of it is indoors.
    4. I don't have any toddlers.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

1) no height limit for Pirates
    2) an hour to an hour and a half
    3) It's chilly in the day time but pretty cold at night, pack parmly
    4) about anything in fantasyland, the houses in Toon town, tom sawyar island

•   
    • Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobd20011 View Post
    3) How cold is it in the parks right now?
    Just went to Disney's website.
    They use to have on the front page what the temperature was currently at the park.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• formerly very helpful

Since the questions have already been answered, I won't. I will recomend you pack your patience. It can be hard to get around with strollers/young kids. They can also get sensory overload, so try not to push them too much, but you know your own kids, and what they can handle.

My kids at very young ages loved Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Railroad, Tiki Room, everything in Fantasyland. Jungle Cruise was also loved. There are no height/age restrictions for any of these. When my son was about 1, he was litterally dancing in delight at It's a Small World.

Also, make use of the baby center at the end of Main Street. They have wonderful changing tables there, child-size toilets for potty-training toddlers, nursing rooms and high chairs. It can be a good place for the little ones to calm down and focus on a meal without the distractions of the rest of the park. You can warm food/formula. You can also buy some supplies there if you're in a bind.
    The baby center in DCA is right behind the Tortilla Factory.

You can have a lot of fun with the kids at that age, but you may have to work at it.

I know that it will be a lot of work, but I hope that, with some patience on my part, they will have a good time.

Thanks for the responses! I would never have thought to take them to the tiki room.
    - Bobd

Visit www.babesindisneyland.com. It's my favorite website with LOTS of tips for visiting with toddlers and infants and has a wealth of information. My toddler (who is 2) LOVES Dumbo and Small World. We're also big fans of Casey Jr Train, Astro Blasters, and the Nemo Subs! My best advice for you is to have zero expectations for the day. The less you're expecting the more you'll enjoy the wonderful little moments that are bound to happen! Have fun!!

When my kids were that little the main thing for my husband and I to remember was that we were not going to be able to do all the things we wanted to do ourselves. That was for before kids and 12 years later when we could let them wander off on their own for a time. Like others have said, you know what your kids can take, but at that age my toddlers couldn't wait up that late in that kind of atmosphere for WOC without having a meltdown, but I had them on a pretty early bedtime. And we've never waited for WOC, the 3 times we've seen it we've walked in 1/2 hour, 20 minutes before it started and had no problem finding a decent place to stand. I'm still not sure I understand the 2 hour beforehand wait thing, unless you absolutely have to be against a front rail.

• DLR Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bobd20011 View Post
    I am planning an impromptu trip with my wife and two young kids next week. We love the parks and we figured that we would have a good time with our toddler, even if he is quite young for most of the attractions. It has been almost three years since we went to the park and it is time for some Disnification.
    Disney Parks are baby friendly, but remember that babies aren't always Disney friendly. I always tell parents who come with very young kids to expect that you might have to leave for the day at any time. There are a lot of parents who woudl rather let their kids suffer just to the parents can stay all day. That's just not fair to the kids.

Also, if you have a stroller, please be courteous and give way to other guests. I can't tell you how many parents I see who block walkways and footpaths, often quite rudely and deliberately. And make sure you use designated stroller parking areas only. Parents often feel they are entitled to park their strollers wherever they want, and then get upset when they find a CM has moved it out of the way of other guests. This isn't much of a problem this time of year, but it still happens.
    Is there a height limit for Pirates
    No.
    How long do you have to wait for the world of color show before it starts?
    On the weekends, you want to get there about 45 minutes ahead of time, in the very least, 30 minutes ahead of time. Weekdays, maybe 30 mins before. The days of 90 minutes ahead of time are long gone, at least until the summer season.
    How cold is it in the parks right now?
    Highs have been low 60's to low 70's. Lows have been low 40's to mid 50's.
    What are your toddlers favorite rides?
    It's been a while since having toddlers, but at DL, I could spend all day in Fantasyland and Toontown. In DCA, definitely hit up Bug Land.

• Sock Puppet

1) no
    2) With my experience, we waited about an hour, the crowds were terrible, and waiting ahead of time did not work, because the "Official line " did not start until a certain time, (That line never came) If you must see the show however, try not to run people over with your strollers as others did to me... (If you have any) If not... The crowds are dense and you may want to cary your child if you want to prevent them from being trapmpled on from the stampeed of people...
    3) Right now it is pretty cold in so cal...
    4) I am only twelve,so... No comment.

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

I'm assuming Sleeping Beauty's walkthrough is still open in the castle. But remember you'll have to leave the stroller outside. There are some stairs involved so there will be holding the baby the entire pathway moments. Toddlers should love this but depending how tall they are they may need a lift up to see the details in the exhibits inside. Still a great break from all the hussle of Fantasyland.

And don't forget to shop shop shop. I know kids are always "I want that one" and "buy me that" but as long as you tell them to look for one or two items that we can get at the end of the day then your shopping experience should be somewhat better... question mark?
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• Sock Puppet

Also be cautious of others, it feels terrible to be run over by strollers...

• former CM

My brother went last night and he and his daughter didn't feel like waiting around for an hour in the cold, so they passed on the chance to see WOC for their first time, despite having passes from their boxed lunches. (I would have gone.) While we waited last summer, I let my daughter eat a frozen lemonade which kept her full attention for almost 20 minutes. And the pre-show entertainment was surprisingly entertaining.

Her favorite rides when she was a toddler were Pooh, Dumbo, Small World, the Casey Jr. train, Akice in Wonderland, the Storybook boats , the Carousel, DCA's Playhouse Disney (still closed?) and the Tiki Room. In the Tiki Room we sat in the front row and she would stand up and dance to the music. Try to be in the park right when it opens and head right to Fantasyland to avoid shorter lines. Maybe use your Fastpasses for Buzz Lightyear.

She loved exploring Tom Sawyer's Island, the Mark Twain, Toontown, and The Redwood Creek trail area in DCA.

But even more than that, she loved the live musicians, who all seemed to enjoy performing for little kids. So seek out the live entertainers. Even the flag lowering ceremony was fascinating to her--at least the first time.

And the characters are great, but try to catch them hanging around--and not just when they are at the end of those lines. And since your child is so young, I suggest you don't do the typical photo and autograph thing. Have you noticed how bored the characters are with that?! They are. Characters LOVED it when I would say, "No photos, she just wants to meet you." They would play with her and if they were face characters they would have a conversation with her. She definitely got more time and better attention from the characters than the 99% of kids who did the quick hug, photo, and held out a book. (Save that till they are four.)

And the Baby Care Center's on Main Street in Disneyland and behind the tortilla factory in DCA are wonderful! Most of the staff members there are great!

Have fun!
    Last edited by jcruise86; 02-03-2011 at 09:05 PM.

• Blew By You

1. Took our daughter when she was 2 on Pirates and she definitely did not like it.
    2. Haven't seen it yet.
    3. Cold. January is like that.
    4. Favorite all time ride is Tea Cups. Daughter loves to get dizzy. Plus TikiRoom, Buzz, all dark rides, Casey Jr. and Small World rocks my daughter's world.

• Minion

For world of color in the morning you'll have to pick up fastpasses for your party for world of color by grizzly river run so your guaranteed a seat. On the ticket it'll give you a time to go back and get into a line to go to the viewing are. I'd suggest go there at the earliest time for the best seat. You might have to wait 30 minutes to an hour depending on the crowds. Before this I'd pick up drinks or maybe an ice cream or snack you packed so you can sit down and snack while you wait to go to the seating area for world of color. Hope that helped

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast