Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Closed Account

Re: In the future, do you think Disney will expand the Red Car Trolley?

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    Yeah, I wish they'll remove the train in Disneyland. It doesn't fit outside of Main Street. And those street cars stop near the entrance of Tomorrowland. It doesn't fit.
    You wish they'd remove the train from Disneyland, eh?

Interesting thought there...

• Workin to live,lovin life

Except that the real Red Cars go much further distances because they are public transportation. It isn't a stretch for the Red Car to go from the Hub to Paradise Pier, or even to go into Cars Land. It almost begs for the extension.
    While I don't disagree with you that the real Red Cars go further distances, the vehicles in Disneyland are the same. Meaning the real versions were used for long distance travel. But you are correct that in the context of an amusement park the Red Cars could go to Paradise Pier or even Carsland if they think it's worth it. I mean, I think it'd be awesome... but I don't see why Disneyland should remove the Train if you think this could go elsewhere. Route 66 and Trolleys don't mix. Maybe Philly's Route 66 Trackless Trolley, but not in Cali.

However, there may be crowd control reasons for them not to do that. We'll have to see... I just don't want them to do what they did to the Trolley in Toon Town, but that was due to space reasons along with costs correct?

And I agree, no offense to anyone with an office job (I do, so I do see stuff based on money reasons only happening), but I don't want a pencil pusher to decide that certain attractions should just be shut down.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Wreckless Abrandon View Post
    While I don't disagree with you that the real Red Cars go further distances, the vehicles in Disneyland are the same. Meaning the real versions were used for long distance travel. But you are correct that in the context of an amusement park the Red Cars could go to Paradise Pier or even Carsland if they think it's worth it. I mean, I think it'd be awesome... but I don't see why Disneyland should remove the Train if you think this could go elsewhere. .
    The stuff about the Train was sarcasm. In other words, the Disneyland Train goes around the park with no concern about how the train theme and era clashes with the themes of the other lands. The Red Car design might fit Hollywood better than Paradise Pier, yet it doesn't matter much in the theming big picture.

Route 66 and Trolleys don't mix. Maybe Philly's Route 66 Trackless Trolley, but not in Cali.
    Route 66 doesn't exist anymore.

However, there may be crowd control reasons for them not to do that. We'll have to see... I just don't want them to do what they did to the Trolley in Toon Town, but that was due to space reasons along with costs correct?
    Cost control would be more of an issue for a ride in one section of the park than if it goes into several lands, which would naturally cost more money for operating. I don't see why crowd control is an issue. Are you referring to World of Color? Or Glowfest? We can go on and on. Why do anything?

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster626 View Post
    In the future Disney will probably hire another MBA pencil pusher to head up Disneyland who will promptly close the red car trolly to cut costs.
    Yep, the catch 22 of the whole thing is the Red Cars will be part of the solution to DCA's attendance woe's, but once that attendance increases, will the cars be able to operate thru the throngs with any kind of efficiency?

------------------------------

Me, I'd like to see a trolly (Red or otherwise) go from the Paradise Pier Hotel to Paradise Pier. This would make the least popular Resort Hotel a much more desirable destination.

In the very least, they should open up that hotels special entrance.

• Artistic integrity

It would be very fitting if the Red Car line traveled into Paradise Pier.
    Putting Steve's line - wood frame vs. steel body issue aside for a moment ...

If it was good enough for the "Victorian/sh" DEL CORONADO in San Diego .. why not Paradise Pier?

As far as Orange County, California history goes ...... The Red Car DID travel along the coast:

from Seal Beach .......

....................to the Huntington Beach PIER ......................

(Unfortunately .. no google pictures found with the RED Car .. and the Pier looming in the background)

........... and then on to the Balboa Peninsula:

If Disney California Adventure is suppose to imitate California (Orange County) history ... then if the Red Car made regular stops at the Huntington Beach Pier ... then logic would dictate .. it would make regular stops in Paradise Pier.

• Sock Puppet

The stuff about the Train was sarcasm. In other words, the Disneyland Train goes around the park with no concern about how the train theme and era clashes with the themes of the other lands. The Red Car design might fit Hollywood better than Paradise Pier, yet it doesn't matter much in the theming big picture.
    That is true... People never question the DLR's theme...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark544 View Post
    That is true... People never question the DLR's theme...
    I think the difference is that it goes around the park instead of through the "lands". I didn't catch the sarcasm part unfortunately... it's the interwebz.

And yes, Route 66 doesn't exist anymore, but I don't think there ever was a trolley anywhere around Route 66 when it existed. But that's just my perception of it. Old trains don't belong in "Tomorrowland" either, but again, it's just my view of going around the entire park rather than being inside the park.

About crowd control, if it causes bottlenecks throughout the park, then the Red Car wouldn't be helping the park. Crowd issues are as relevant as costs. I don't know how wide different parts of the park are, so it may not be a problem at all. Personally, I don't like how the Astro Orbiter blocks off the "entrance" to Tomorrowland.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Wreckless Abrandon View Post
    I don't think there ever was a trolley anywhere around Route 66 when it existed. But that's just my perception of it. Old trains don't belong in "Tomorrowland" either, but again, it's just my view of going around the entire park rather than being inside the park.
    Santa Monica Boulevard was the last leg of Route 66. And the Red Cars used to go right down the middle (which is why there was a "Little" Santa Monica Boulevard). In Century City in the 1990s, you could still see rails embedded in the pavement.

As for the StevenW's thought that the train trains doesn't fit the theme in any area other than Main Street, that's silly. It fits perfectly at Frontierland/Critter Country; it looks like a giant wind-up toy as it passes the Small World facade; and it is nearly impossible to see from nearly any vantage point in Tomorrowland as it sneaks by on the outskirts of the area.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Santa Monica Boulevard was the last leg of Route 66. And the Red Cars used to go right down the middle (which is why there was a "Little" Santa Monica Boulevard). In Century City in the 1990s, you could still see rails embedded in the pavement.
    My reference to Route 66 is more about it not being in Paradise Pier. It sort of moved to Cars Land, so to speak, since Route 66 was featured in that movie.

As for the StevenW's thought that the train trains doesn't fit the theme in any area other than Main Street, that's silly. It fits perfectly at Frontierland/Critter Country; it looks like a giant wind-up toy as it passes the Small World facade; and it is nearly impossible to see from nearly any vantage point in Tomorrowland as it sneaks by on the outskirts of the area.
    It might fit thematically, not in any sense of era or accuracy. In Small World, it is strange to bring up the toy analogy. I never gotten that. Its a stretch. As for Tomorrowland, you can say its all a time warp. Certainly time travel has been done before. You will soon visit Dinosaurs.

So I can't think why the Red Car can't be in Paradise Pier, which represents California where they do have Red Cars in a later era.

What's all this opposition about? Disney theming or not can be explained away.

Ah, I stand corrected! I was too young to see Route 66 in person and remember it, but I also don't know too much about it beyond what I hear from other people.

I'd have to agree with StevenW now that I think about it that the Trolly would work thematically at Paradise Pier. I'm not sure that the general public would look at a Trolly and think it would work for Route 66... I'm part of that general public that didn't know. I associate Trollies with Downtown areas in modern times. Let's just hope that Disney is taking baby steps to see how things work out in DCA.

I'm all for plussing attractions if done well and if it makes sense.

• Closed Account

It might fit thematically, not in any sense of era or accuracy.
    The locomotives fit New Orleans Square, Frontierland and ToonTown very well in terms of "era" and "accuracy." I'll give you that some of the passenger cars may not.

In Small World, it is strange to bring up the toy analogy. I never gotten that. Its a stretch.
    Why is it strange to bring up the toy anaology? Small World facade is a child's music box blown up in size, housing hundreds of dolls. The trains running past the facade complement the attraction wonderfully. And after all, being Fantasyland, what could be more fantastic than seeing such a sight?

• Banned User

The locomotives fit New Orleans Square, Frontierland and ToonTown very well in terms of "era" and "accuracy." I'll give you that some of the passenger cars may not.
    The passenger cars are not a mix and match. The whole train might not fit when it passes New Orleans Square, Frontierland and ToonTown. Of course, this makes the argument against the Red Cars to be ridiculous.

Why is it strange to bring up the toy anaology? Small World facade is a child's music box blown up in size, housing hundreds of dolls. The trains running past the facade complement the attraction wonderfully. And after all, being Fantasyland, what could be more fantastic than seeing such a sight?
    It might complement, which is as close as you can get. Or it is irrelevant, which is what I think.

Once DL3 is built, the Red car line will be extended to reach the new park, as will the monorail. They will be two key components in moving guests between the two current parks and the new one.

Quote Originally Posted by greenalfonzo View Post
    Once DL3 is built, the Red car line will be extended to reach the new park, as will the monorail. They will be two key components in moving guests between the two current parks and the new one.
    Umm, what? Are you just making stuff up?

• X-S TECH Demonstrator

Quote Originally Posted by greenalfonzo View Post
    And you heard this from where?

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheking View Post
    CaptainEO,ATIS: Have you ever heard that rumor that Elvis is alive, and well, and owns a bakery in Seattle? Yeah, that's total crap. Now if you where to tell me Michael Jackson was alive, and well, and owns a MiceChat account in Las Vegas, that I would believe!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast