Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Lighting Design Lover

Main Street Repave-Cement?

So I haven't been to Disneyland yet since they've started all the major re-pavement work since Christmas, but I've noticed in the photos from Dateline Disneyland and In the Parks that it appears to be coloured cement (and not even very darkly coloured cement at that). Is anyone else bugged by this? Don't get me wrong, I'm very glad they're fixing all the cracks and doing the work that needs to be done, and I'm sure there is some monetary reason for the cement, but I feel that if Main Street is to have the look and feel of a real street it should be paved in asphalt, not cement. The cement makes it look (at least in pictures) very theme parkish in my opinion. Your thoughts?

Re: Main Street Repave-Cement?

That's funny that you bring this up. I was there today and was kind of surprised by the look of the newly paved areas. The stroller did roll more smoothly though...

• Senior Minion

I think it looks better in person. I think most wouldn't know the difference. I definitely did notice and thought about it a bit. But honestly, I don't blame them. Considering how much work this project has been, I can understand why they'd want it to be as infrequent as possible. I'd guess the life on the concrete will last about three times as long and not require resealing.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• 秘密のヘルツ

Oh god, they're leaving it that way? What a terrible design decision.
    Last edited by jupitertronic; 02-12-2011 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Gratuitous capslock makes the rabid Disney wolves attack

Cement can take a long time to dry thoroughly...even if it seems dry and you can walk on it, it still may not be completely dry. The true color won't be revealed until it's completely dry. We recently did some cement work at our house and the cement took a very long time to dry. We live 30 miles from DL, so the climate is very similar as well.
    Just saying, maybe the looks will improve in time.

• Senior Minion

The whole thing is concrete now, it's been changing over the last three off-seasons. If you didn't notice in the last three years it means you've already mistook concrete for asphalt. If you're simply talking about concrete not matching the other concrete, then yeah, it just needs to cure.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• MiceChat News Team
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Administrator
    • MiceChat Contributer

Blog Entries

I have been there each week to take the shots for In the parks and, honestly, it looks just fine. The streets may not look like the turn-of-the-century street but if it is more functional, more durable, then it's okay that liberties are taken.
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals.
    Homer Jay Simpson

Concrete was available during the time period. It's going to be fine.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

YouTube - What's Wrong With Disneyland?
    ^watch this and hopefully you'll be ok.........

• Banned User

Walt would be spinning in his grave because I have contact with him and know what he wants and he doesn't want this. He doesn't want the paint scheme of main street either. It sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by stevo505 View Post
    Walt would be spinning in his grave because I have contact with him and know what he wants and he doesn't want this. He doesn't want the paint scheme of main street either. It sucks.
    ....*twilight zone theme*
    -VJ

• Closed Account

The concrete is actually more authentic. Streets were paved in concrete (1893) before they were paved in asphalt (1920s). And before that they were brick; before that, dirt.

• 秘密のヘルツ

I just don't want it to look bad. My stepdad's never been to a Disney park and I told him to put off going til the repaving was done. It sucks he won't see it at its best.

I purposely said it was a bad design decision only; I'm sure it's more practical or else they wouldn't do it. That's not the issue. But I thought that was the point of theme parks, to make it look good even if it's not necessarily the "best" way to do something.

Question - will it stay in that square/grid pattern I saw the other day or will it eventually look more like the ground in Frontierland over by Big Thunder?
    Last edited by jupitertronic; 02-12-2011 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Deleted out the pre-coffee crankiness.

Quote Originally Posted by jupitertronic View Post

Question - will it stay in that square/grid pattern I saw the other day or will it eventually look more like the ground in Frontierland over by Big Thunder?
    If you're talking about the square/grid pattern score lines, those are the areas that have yet to be removed. The crews have to score the old concrete at night with a diamond blade to prep for removal.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

It looks fine.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast