Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Our Long Awaited, Long Awaited Trip Report - November 10-26, 2010

Will there be more added to this trip report?

• 1375 miles away

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    I am really loving your report. So many great photos, and so much interesting commentary. It makes me remember the great trip I had back in 2008 at Christmastime.
    Disneyland makes it easy to take photos and make plenty of conversation. It's one of my favorite subjects! Glad you have been lucky enough to go during the Christmas season. The park really is especially magical during that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayce View Post
    I always love seeing the park though other's eyes. Nice TR Mariezp!
    It is funny how everyone can see things in a different way. It's been my pleasure sharing! Thanks for chiming in!

Quote Originally Posted by BRodgers View Post
    Will there be more added to this trip report?
    As a matter of fact.... YES! Been a bit distracted with a house full of sick people and pets but I fully intend to see it through to the end of our 15 days so stay tuned. And, thanks for asking! I love when people speak up and let me know they are reading along!

AND in regards to your question................ here's an addition to my report.... day 7! Enjoy.
    Me,DH,DS-23 ,DD-14

Our Long Awaited, Long Awaited Trip Report November 2010
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...post1056434199
    Our First Trip to WDW December 2009
    http://micechat.com/forums/walt-disn...16-2009-a.html
    November 2008 trip report! Updated 1/13/09!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...23-2008-a.html

• 1375 miles away

Day 7, November 16, 2010

This morning DD and I headed out for an earlier morning by ourselves. Another beautiful day in bright sunny California! I love all their roses!

Not so hidden Mickeys.

Farewell California letters!

On the way into the park we decided that we would ride one of the vehicles down Main Street BUT as luck would have it we arrived as the Disneyland Band was doing their morning show so the road was pretty well obstructed….. thus no vehicles to ride. We waited around and checked out the scenery for a while to see if they might almost be done.

We spotted some characters in the area.

We got our picture taken in front of the big Christmas tree.

We finally gave up and made our way down Main Street …… by foot. We stopped in at the Magic Shop. It is one of those little hidden treasures that has been on my list for ages but we have just never taken the time to check out. Today was the day! I am glad we did. DD got to make bunnies multiple in her hand and the CM working the counter took my ring and made it spin in mid air. Too cool!

Since it was just my DD and I we were on a leisurely mission and I devoted plenty of time to taking pictures along our path to Fantasyland.

You would think with all the pictures I take I would have been able to get a better picture... without the sign... of a Kodak Picture spot!

So I tried again but we faced a different direction and I didn't even think about how it would end up leaving out the castle.

She does Goofy way too well!

We took the scenic route.

Looks like she has some sort of mossy halo!

DD’s first ride choice for the day was Dumbo. What does one do while waiting in line? Take pictures, of course.

Next up was Toad where she took me on one really wild ride. I hope this is no indication of her driving skills some day! No worries for now. She tells me that she is NOT going to be driving and will just be relying on her brother to drive her around.

We made our way over to Storybookland.

DD decided we must have struck oil.

Every time we have ridden we have been stuck on the same side of the boat! I want to ride on the other side to I can take pictures from the other side.

Next was the Carousel.

My steed was having a bad hair day!

We found Walt’s favorite horse!

Heading out of Fantasyland…

We caught the fire engine for our first ever ride to take us back up to the front of the park. Our driver told us that Walt used to drive the car around Disneyland. DD got to ring the bell!

We left the park and headed over to meet the guys for lunch over at the Gardenwalk. This place is always seriously empty! I hope business picks up for them one of these days. It’s very pretty and peaceful here. They have some nice shops and lots of good places to eat. DH picked himself up a couple pair of sunglasses at a pretty decent price. Cheaper than they would have been at the park!

We had big plans to partake of some yummy seafood at Bubba Gump. I do believe this has become our favorite outside of the park dining experience. The food is always great and did not disappoint this time. We had an excellent waitress who gave us great attention. She quizzed us on our Forrest Gump knowledge. We were smoking hot until she asked the name of the kid actor who played Forrest’s son. She stumped us.

They had the movie playing on a big screen tv.

We went back to our room and rested until about 6:00.We came back to the park and boarded the train for NOS to take in some of our usual favorite attractions AGAIN. First up was HM.

Oops! I think I accidently flashed.

Pirates was next. Followed by the Tiki Room again.

After the show. No flash this time!

I don't even remember where I took this one! Evidently it was as we exited and passed through a gift shop and before we headed over to Tomorrowland, according to my DD.

Next we headed over to Autopia for the first time during our trip. I just don’t get it. The gas peddles are hard to push and they steer terrible but the line is usually outrageously long. I must be missing something! :confused3

Afterwards we rode Nemo again. I love this ride but it is very tight and the windows are placed for very short people. I know, I know…. for the kids. DD just can't resist hamming it up while waiting in line.

We were going to ride Alice but it was closed for the fireworks. We stopped in front of Monstro to wait for it to reopen and watch the fireworks. Keep in mind that I never take good photos at night.

BUT while waiting this time I got the coolest picture! It was amazing. During the finale the sky lit up so bright that the photo came out looking like a painting. No flash. Just lights from the fireworks. This may be my favorite photo of our whole trip!

As it turned out, when the fireworks were over everything else stayed closed except for the teacups since it was so near park closing time. So we took one last spin.

Then we started heading out of the park for the night.

Someday her prince will come but believe me... we are in no hurry!

We stopped in at Coke Corner and I grabbed a chili bowl and some hot dogs to take back to our room with us. While we ate our park goodies we watched the Pink Panther 2. I realized that Andy Garcia was one of the detectives. I’ve never seen any of his movies before but I was glad to finally see him in one since he had been our Candlelight Processional narrator several years ago. DD was so tired she didn’t even make it to the end of the movie.

Got my camera ready to go for the next day and realized that I had used up almost all of my 2 gb memory card today. Lots of memories there!
    Me,DH,DS-23 ,DD-14

Great report so far! I have to say, no one ever, ever writes about the magic shop AND take photos inside. I am a big fan of that place and I'm always waiting to see maybe a photo of the outside. Awesome.

Also, I see that you stayed at the Desert Inn and Suites. My family and I have it booked for 9 days the end of May. Could you include a bit of your opinion/commentary of the hotel?

Looking forward to day 8.

• Vidia's Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mariezp View Post
    Day 7, November 16, 2010

She does Goofy way too well!

Hah that picture is so awesome. It would fit perfectly in the memories thing they project on small world

• Minion

only a quarter of your pics wil load cuz u hav soo many

• 1375 miles away

Finally! I've got a update for you! I'm going to go ahead and post it before it accidentally vanishes or something and then I am going to make a few responses to some of my readers.

Day 8, November 17, 2010

My DD and I made our way into the park with plans again to catch a Main Street vehicle. There were none in sight immediately so we just hung around and watched what was going on in the area.

Before too long we saw the Omnibus and a whole caravan behind it.

DD really wanted to ride the horse drawn carriage so we waited for it. It pulled up and we hopped right on and talked about the horses with the driver.

It turned out that we had shown up just in time for the switching of the horses. Our current horse was Sam, a beautiful black Percheron.

The CM said that they currently had a crew of 23 horses which consisted of Percherons, Belgians, Shires and Clydesdales. Each horse works 2-3 hours depending on the horse, 5 days a week, and then has a week off. She filled us with horse info until the new horse arrived.

Our driver unhooked Sam’s harness, led him over to another CM and a new horse was backed up in his place.

The new horse’s name was Sulley. He was a giant 19 hand Belgian who she said was the largest of the bunch right now.

All in all a very cool experience, especially for my DD since she loves horses.
    We made our way down Main Street.

When we disembarked and made our way through Frontierland.

Our initial plan was to ride Pirates but it was down so we went to HM instead.

Not good at all but I got double Leotas!

Next we thought we would go on Pooh but it was also closed. We wandered aimlessly a bit.

We came up with the bright idea to go check out the island. After a short raft ride we set out exploring.

DD does not like scary! This is about as far as she went in this cave.

Even the dog is a camera ham!

A little dramatic effect.

Trying to pull off her Jack Sparrow impersonation.

Evidently, even I am not immune to a little role play.

Found a new place for the guys to play checkers! I’m thinking it may get pretty hot right here though and I’m just guessing that it’s BYOC.

I think she could pull off being a pirate.

This is the first time I have ever been on the island that it was not blazing hot although it did start to get a little warmer by the time we finally got around to leaving. We wandered around for what seemed like forever… at least long enough for DD to finally decide that she was hot and tired.

When we went back by Pirates they were opened so we got in line. Just about that time the guys called to say that they were finally leaving the room, close to 2:00. After we got of Pirates we met up with them at the hub and headed to Plaza Inn for lunch. It’s so pretty in there. Even my DD has started pointing our things for me to take pictures of.

After our meal DH and I went over and watched Captain EO while the kiddos hung out in the arcade. DH surprised me because he actually ended up liking the show. Guess he liked MJ more than I knew. I had already been prepared to think the show was corny but I knew I liked MJ enough to overlook it being slightly dated. Nothing I would go to see over and over again but I am glad I got to see it at least once.

When we got out of the theater we went inside the arcade for my first time ever. We stayed just long enough for DS to kick my butt 2 times at air hockey. We decided to head over to Frontierland. We ended up stopping along the way so DS and I could ride Astro Orbitor. I love this picture. It is probably one of the best ones I have ever taken of my son.

We arrived at the ROA it was just almost time for The Laughing Stock show so we moseyed in the Golden Horseshoe.
    Waiting for the show to start the guys play a little checkers. May be one of DH’s best I-phone apps!

We loved the new Christmas show, the 12 Days Before Christmas Carol.

I just love Sally Mae!

As I saw this picture it got me to wondering…… Several years back there was a guy in the audience of the Laughing Stock that was a drunk. During this show the guy they pulled up on stage with the money bag in his hand was a drunk. I was just wondering if it might be possible that he is planted in the audience but really is an actor and part of the show. He sure looked familiar. Hmmmm…..

I’d looked at the schedule wrong and thought that the Billie’s would be performing next so we sat and waited only to find that we had stayed for the wrong show. It was the same one again. Silly me! I’m pretty sure they will never let me live that one down. Oh well. Thankfully, I do not make those type of mistakes often…. At least when it comes to my Disneyland info.

After that mishap we went over to the ROA and rode the Mark Twain. We rode on the upper level which was a wonderful spot for a night time ride. Absolutely lovely up there with all the lights everywhere.

DS spotted a mosquito “the size of a quarter” on a woman’s back. He warned her so she could do something about it and she looked at him like he was nuts. Some thanks for him trying to be nice. Being a human mosquito magnet, he and DH decided to move inside where we met back up with them when we docked.

DD and I decided to head to Fantasyland for our daily fill and the guys went in another direction. Our first stop was the restroom where we had the displeasure of hearing someone getting sick in another stall. Needless to say we got out of there as fast as we could for fear that they might have something catchy…. also hoping it was not because of any of the food in the park. Hopefully, they were just sick from something like motion sickness and nothing more.

We ended up riding a good majority of rides in Fantasyland this night. We started with Casey Jr followed by Alice, the Carousel, Toad, Dumbo and finally Storybookland. We did intend to ride SW but it was closed.

Not sure what was going on here. Must have been a problem or the poor horsey got cold.

Love the castle in the background on this one.

Not one of her more flattering poses but they do look a lot alike.

Crummy lighting but I just wanted to show some more of Disney’s attention to detail. Even the mirrors in the shop are all so creative!

On the way out, we thought about stopping for a hot chocolate and a gingerbread Mickey but everyone else must have had the same idea so we left it for another day. Made our way back to our room and ordered in Pizza for the night.
    Me,DH,DS-23 ,DD-14

• 1375 miles away

Quote Originally Posted by BRodgers View Post
    Great report so far! I have to say, no one ever, ever writes about the magic shop AND take photos inside. I am a big fan of that place and I'm always waiting to see maybe a photo of the outside. Awesome.

Also, I see that you stayed at the Desert Inn and Suites. My family and I have it booked for 9 days the end of May. Could you include a bit of your opinion/commentary of the hotel?

I guess people who go in the magic shop are usually so mesmerized with the tricks that they forget to take photos. Even I didn't take many and I am a picture taking fool!

Ah, yes, the Desert Inn! There was a time I had posted so many reviews about them that I was beginning to feel like I should be on their payroll. I've really slacked off lately. Thanks for providing me the opportunity to get back on track! We have stayed with them since our very first trip. Our 10th will be coming up in September. Here are some of the reasons my family enjoys staying there:

* Proximity to the park. We take midday breaks everyday which can add up to a lot of additional walking. Not to mention that the quick 5 minute walk across the street is very appreciated at the end of the day.

* Plenty of space. We like lots of room for everyone to spread out, especially the kids at the end of a long day. There are only 4 of my family members traveling but we always get the largest suite and have an extra bed which means we have enough room if we decide to invite someone else to come along with us. (which has happened on numerous occasions) Also my DH snores something frightful when he is extra tired on vacation so we enjoy having plenty of space with a door between us to muffle the sound so my daughter and I can get a good night's sleep. Plus the girls can go to bed early in one room while the guys stay up late without bothering each other. By the same token, the girls can get up early and let the guys sleep in.
    * 2 BATHROOMS! Need I say more?
    * Reasonable rates, especially if you book well in advance. I've compared rates many times over the years and they have always been the best deal for us since we really like a 2 room suite with 2 bathrooms.
    * Clean and comfortable.

More specifics....

We stay in their Parlor Family Suite C2, which is their largest suite with 4 queen beds, a small living room with a fold out couch, also a dining table and 2 full bathrooms.
    My son likes the separate living area to claim for his own private space to set up his laptop.

I think all rooms come standard with refrigerators, microwaves, coffee makers and hair dryers. There are 3 tvs in the C2 suite which is very convenient.
    We can all watch what we want or in the evenings or we can all gather in one room to enjoy pizza and a movie.

The pool is on the small side. However, it has never been a problem for us because we would rather be at the park.

Breakfast is a basic continental consisting of pastries, toast, fruit, juice, milk and coffee. It works well for us since we are not big breakfast eaters. We eat just enough to tide us over til lunch which allows us to only ending up paying for 2 meals a day.

They offer free internet access via a computer in the lobby.

There is a laundry room which comes in handy. You can pick up coins and laundry soap in the lobby.

There is a convenience store down stairs where
    we are able to buy Dr. Pepper, Frappuccinos and other goodies we miss from home. Also, it has a good stock of oops-we-left-it-at-home items, cheap souvenir t-shirts and emergency medications.

Denney's is conveniently located on one side and IHOP on the other. Coldstone's is right out front and is perfect for a yummy treat going to or from the park.

In many of the rooms you can partially see the fireworks from your window. Of course, you cannot hear all the music and commentary. However, it worked great for us many years because my DD did not like the noise when she was younger. Also, you can actually view the fireworks from the roof. Nothing fancy but they do have a few chairs. Perhaps a better choice than trying to huddle everyone around the small windows if you really want a clear view. There were only a few chairs last time we went so probably you would have to stand. Most everyone does anyway because they are generally all standing to the side closest to the park. Either way is not bad if you cannot be in the park.

I can only think of 2 negative things but even they are not much of a reason to not stay.

Slow elevators. Easily solved. They have 3 elevators. The one up front by the breakfast room is much faster than the one in the middle. However, it only goes to the third floor. After that the stairs might be faster.
    Parking. They only allow one car and they have now started charging for parking.

All of our stays have always been pleasant and we have only ever had minor problems that were quickly resolved. The staff has always been nice and helpful. They are nothing fancy but they are a clean place to sleep and shower. We don't spend much time in our rooms so I would rather stay for a reasonable rate at DI&S than spend excess funds for a room I will barely even see. Just leaves me more to spend on souvenirs and dining out.

So overall, the main reasons we keep staying are because the price is right, rooms are large and clean, beds are comfy and you cannot beat the fact that they are so close to the main gate. To me they seem closer to the main gate than the Disney hotels and you don't have to fight the crowds and temptation to spend money in Downtown Disney.

I'll PM you a link which has some additional reviews and some photos of inside one of the rooms. I hope you enjoy your stay with them in May. And, if you have any other questions please feel free to ask. I will answer as best I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayce View Post
    Hah that picture is so awesome. It would fit perfectly in the memories thing they project on small world

Why thank you! That is a nice compliment!

Quote Originally Posted by Dlandclub33 View Post
    only a quarter of your pics wil load cuz u hav soo many

I am sorry that you are having trouble veiwing the photos. They seem to work fine for me. I love reading reports with lots of pictures so I tend to like adding all I have to share as well. When I start looking at what I've taken there are so many different choices that it makes it difficult to pick only a few. Plus I do enjoy documenting my trip. I'll just have to hope that the majority of readers here enjoy the mass quantity of photos and they load better for them than they seem to be doing for you.
    Last edited by mariezp; 02-28-2011 at 03:33 PM.
    Me,DH,DS-23 ,DD-14

• 1375 miles away

I'm finally back with a new installment!

Day 9, November 18, 2010

Before we got started this morning I searched online and even called Disney….

When we got inside the park we even stopped in at City Hall….

BUT poor Mickey just wasn’t getting any big too-do for his 82nd birthday. They did tell us that it was also Minnie’s 81st birthday too and the CM did give us a celebration button but as far as I know the day went without much mention of the big mouse’s special day. Kinda sad there wasn’t some sort of acknowledgement seeing as how it all started with the mouse. We considered stopping in today at Mickey’s house to sing happy birthday to him and help him celebrate a little but it just never ended up happening. Shame on us!

We already had reservations for the day but decided we would try to change it for later so the guys could arrive at the park at their leisure so our plan was to head over to NOS. DD spotted the horse drawn carriage so we “had” to ride it down Main Street. Worked for me. It’s nice to save a few steps when you can. Today’s steed was Lee. He was another Belgian who had also come from the same breeders as Sulley from yesterday’s trip.

We arrived in front of the castle and headed over to Café Orleans. A quick check and we were able to change our 12:30 ressie to 2:00.

Next we rode Pirates.

I apologize to all the people I accidentally blinded. I am electronically challenged to begin with but one of the MAJOR things that annoys me with my camera is that every time you change a mode it turns the flash back on. I have a very pitiful memory and I occasionally forget to change it before it is too late. I try to not make it a habit of using flash in the dark but sad to say every now and then I do slip up. I did get a nice picture as we passed by BB for a change.

Some items in the window at the end of the ride.

Afterwards we wandered the streets of NOS checking out some of the shops

We ran into the Bootstrappers and listened to them sing. After a bit I decided we should leave before my DD learned the beer drinking song a little too well.

I love the different popcorn guys. I do think Oogie Boogie is a little less appealing than some!

We then rode HM. Afterwards, we had to go on a search in the shops after that to see if we could find a Zero my DD had been wanting. Found it! And we roamed around doing a little more window shopping.

A very strange bird.

I want this chandelier!!!! Love it!

Cute. Made me wish I were a bigger fan.

We had just enough time left before lunch to stop in at the Tiki Room.

Never noticed this before. May be my favorite bathroom door sign!

These remind me a lot of some girl's profile pictures I see on Facebook. I always wondered why they stuck their tongues out so much. Now I know. They want to be Tiki gods!

When the show was done we met up with the guys at at Café Orleans. DS ran to pick up like his 7th or 8th turkey leg while the rest of us placed our order. When our waitress saw him eating it she called him a caveman. He got a kick out of that. Dh had the gumbo and we all shared an order of Pomme Frites and a Three Cheese Monte Cristo. Food was yummy as always!

When we were through with our meal DS and I rode Splash. He rode in the front and got completely drenched. I got fairly wet but I had on quick dry pants whereas he had on slow drying jeans. He tolerated my picture taking fairly well even though he doesn’t volunteer to pose for me nearly as often as my DD does.

We took a ride on the train. We considered getting off at Toontown to wish Mickey happy birthday but DD was tired and DS soggy so we opted to just head back for a late midday break.

When we made it back to the park for the evening we showed up just in time to hit the end of the parade crowd and it was a madhouse! We followed them all the way back to Small World.

Crummy picture I know but I just wanted to show these guys we were walking behind and their crazy Christmas hats. You can sorta tell what they are. There were a couple others with plates of cookies on their head but I missed getting pics of them.

We finally made our way to Small World.

It's a hidden horseshoe!

After we were most of the way through, I finally discovered a setting to get a little better shots on my camera for this ride….. and with no flash! Now if I just had a steadier hand. Too bad I probably won’t remember which setting I used by the time we go back next year.

Next we took a spin on the Teacups.

Then Storybookland. Since everyone was either in Fantasyland or the rides were closed we decided to just try to beat the rush out of the park. We stopped in the tunnel and snapped pictures of the attraction posters while everyone else was watching the fireworks.

On the way out we waved a farewell to the CA bridge just in case it is gone next year.

Heading back to our room we decided to make a run down to McDonald’s to get DD some "normal food" that she would enjoy for a change. Took it back to our room and watched some Johnny Dep as Willy Wonka.
    Me,DH,DS-23 ,DD-14

• 1375 miles away

Thought I would keep going while I am on a roll here!....

Day 10, November 19, 2010

We decided to spend the day in CA.

My son’s coach would be proud. DS has been getting in a little advertising for him when the weather is cooler.

Shortly after we arrived we got in line for Soarin. The guys grabbed some fastpasses for later.

Hi Patrick!

Since it was cool this morning we skipped GRR. Everyone else apparently was too because there was no line.

We decided to eat early since we have a WOC package with ressies to eat at 6:00. DS made a run for a turkey leg. DH and DD picked up some food at the bakery and I went for Chinese food again. This time I went ahead and tried the Thai Curry Chicken. I really should have went with the Teriyaki.

We were going to nab some FPs for Screamin but it was down. We headed over to Toy Story for a 45 minute wait.

We walked down the boardwalk and played a few games. DS got annoyed with the baseball game. Not one to give up, I am pretty sure he will be back to try again.

This tree was beautiful in it's fall color.

Another favorite shot of my son.

And, then there's my wacky daughter!

We made our way back to our room for a break and to rest up for our big night watching the WOC.

We waited until the last minute to make our way back to the park, just barely making it back in time for our reservation. WCT was nice. The waiter was good though he spoke so quietly he was a little hard to understand. The food I thought was fair but nothing spectacular but my son liked it enough to request coming back on our next trip.

When we were done with our meal we had a little time to waste before the show. The guys went on Screamin while DD and I rode the carousel.

King Triton's critters are all so bright and make wonderful pictures.

We tried our luck on the boardwalk just one more time. DD really wanted to win a big Bullseye and by golly she did!

We leisurely made our way around Paradise Pier. DS and I stopped and rode the Silly Symphonies. I loved it and surprisingly so did he. Much better than zooming around inside a giant orange.

We headed over to our reserved area for WOC, arriving about 45 minutes before showtime.
    We had to think up ways to keep ourselves entertained somehow...

my family and their halos.

We decided the halo was a lost cause so we tried to balancing the ball on DS's head. His balance must not be too good.... and my camera skills are even worse!

Bullseye got in on it too.

Plenty of time for some checkers.

We found a spot where no one could stand in front of DD, as that was my main concern. Luckily, the crowd was well behaved with no one crowding in on us. The show was great and our view was excellent with the exception of the kid who would intermittently wave his light saber in front of DD.

We made our way back to Soarin and got in one last ride. We grabbed some cappuccino and gingerbread cookies on the way out and called it a night.
    Me,DH,DS-23 ,DD-14

• 1375 miles away

And, one last quick post of a couple of days that there is not too much to tell....

Day 11, November 20, 2010

Woke up to a rainy day this morning so already it was not going as I had in mind. Then the rest of the day strayed even more off the path I was hoping for. We’ve stayed at Desert Inn for the last 9 years. In the recent years they have set up a booth out front to lure you in to a timeshare presentation. We have been walking past them all this time but today they finally wore my DH down. I wanted to avoid it like the plaque, after all it is probably one of the last things I've ever wanted to be doing while on vacation, BUT DH managed to guilt me into going along with him because he had to have his wife with him to earn the $100 for attending the Worldmark sales pitch. A driver was there to pick us up promptly at 9:45. The supposed 2 hours turned into 3 and by the time we finally made it out of there we had been hooked into becoming owners.

Those salesmen were GOOD and the properties look great….. but as of this writing I am having buyer’s remorse. The big pitch was that we would be able to stay in the Disney DVC but, of course, now that we are home and have tried to book we have been told that it is highly unlikely we would ever be able to get in. GRRRRR! There are a few other options in the area… Peacock Suites and Dolphin’s Cove… but they both require walking a longer distance or a car and appear to stay pretty booked up as well. Then I am also having an issue with the “free 2 week certificate” they threw into to sweeten the deal. Turns out it appears to be only available for specific times and so far for none of the travel destinations I had in mind. So far customer service has been friendly… except for the one condescending jerk I spoke with… but for the most part they just seem to pass me along to someone else. And, then of course there are the other fees that keep popping up. I am currently longing for the simplicity of calling and booking a hotel but I guess we will give it a bit more time before we call it a total bust. (If anyone out there has any advice to offer please feel free to contact me and give me some pointers!)

Anyhoo….. that over and done….. I had a $25 restaurant .com certificate for Fire and Ice Grill so we headed there for lunch. The place is unique and I had high hopes but ended up not really all that impressed. Even with the coupon it still ended up being pretty expensive.

From there we went over to the big bowling alley in the Garden Walk center. The place is really nice but the giant screens flashing all the Disney teeny boppers and their chic music blaring continuously was almost more than we could stand. And there was just something about the lanes! I think they were cursed. We all usually at least break 100 but after 2 games we barely even managed to pull it off. My poor DS has never done so poorly! It’s a good bet that we won’t be returning. Then to top it off I had a $20 off coupon but after we had left I noticed they had overcharged me $25! I ended up having to run back in while our cab was waiting to get a refund. Luckily the manager was efficient … when he finally made his way to the front desk.... and gave my money back without any problems.

We went back to our room and I gathered up our laundry from the previous week for an exciting afternoon doing laundry for the next couple hours. Really, not all that bad. I grabbed a magazine, a drink and a candy bar and enjoyed a few hours of quiet time.

DD was getting a sore throat and the rest of us were pretty tired so we ended up taking the day off completely from the park. DS and I went next door and grabbed takeout from Denney’s.

Day 12, November 21, 2010

DD still had a sore throat this morning so I basically left it up to her on how we would spend the day. Long about noon she started getting hungry and possibly a little bored so she decided we should go to the park… and to ride Jungle Cruise. We decided we might as well get a little entertainment while we ate so we went over to the Golden Horseshoe and ordered some chicken nuggets. We got our food and it was almost show time when she decided that she really did not feel well so we packed up and headed back to our room. At least we did get to eat and I did set foot inside the park… ever so briefly.

The guys grabbed some Coldstone’s ice cream and I shared a bit with her which perked her up a little bit. Obviously, she was still feeling pretty poorly since she even ended up taking a nap. We spent the rest of the day being lazy. We watched Shrek 1 & 2 so at least we had some entertainment.

In the evening we ordered takeout from Denney’s again. They have some pretty good chicken noodle soup which comes in handy when someone is not feeling so well. She did eat that pretty good so her appetite appeared to be coming back. Hopefully she will be feeling better by morning.
    Me,DH,DS-23 ,DD-14

• Vidia's Minion

* Parking. They only allow one car and they have now started charging for parking.

I'm sure that's because of all the people that try to get out of paying to park at the resort (which overcrowds the hotel parking).

I stayed at the Paradise Pier hotel last summer when my gf came to visit with her kids and I had a hard time getting a spot even though I was a guest of the hotel. Ugh!

• 1375 miles away

Re: Our Long Awaited, Long Awaited Trip Report - November 10-26, 2010 (Photo Heavy)

My apologies for the delay. Had a few computer problems. Hoping they are resolved so I can finish this report up ASAP!

Jayce, that is probably very true about the parking! I had never thought of it that way.

Day 13, November 22, 2010

DD said she was feeling better this morning but she was still dragging around slow….. until DH suggested that DS and I take off and they stay in our room. She’s a real moma’s girl so she suddenly perked up and we were out of the room within an hour. We arrived at the baggage check and it was very backed up so we knew it meant it was going to be a busy day in the park. The guys ran over and grabbed FPs for Indy. We ended up on a Jungle Cruise.

Busy!!!

Never heard of one of these.

Next, the Tiki Room.

Then we made our way through Frontierland we ran into Farley playing his fiddle so we stopped to listen. He is one of my favorite entertainers. He is always so much fun and always gets in plenty of audience participation. He sang some songs, told some corny jokes…. How about this one…. He had to stop eating beans because they kept talking behind his back (EWWWW!)…. and he tried to teach everyone how to spin a lariat.

We headed over to check in early for our Celebration Roundup reservation a little early. They gave us a buzzer and then we were seated in about 10 minutes. The area was crisp and quite cool underneath the shade so we did not tarry long. Wish I had known later that they actually had some overhead heaters that we could have requested to turn on. The food was really pretty good.

We grabbed some Big Thunder FPs. Boy was it crowded!

Then we headed back through the crowd and decided to head in for a midday rest and come back later in the evening to use our FPs. On the way out of the park, we made a quick purchase in the candy store. A candy apple for me, chocolate almonds for DD, peanut brittle for DH and turtles for DS. I also nabbed a big ole bag of jelly beans to take back home with me.

Back in our room I made a call to Disney dining to see if I could make a ressie for tomorrow at Carnation Café. No problem. It left me a little bit curious as to what’s up. Have people stopped making reservations as much nowadays?

When evening came DD decided that she did not want to have to go back to the park and that DS and I could go and she would stay with DH. So I asked DS if he would like to go with me so I could have some big people time and he said okie dokie.

Again, our timing stunk and we ended up reentering the park behind the parade crowd AGAIN. We followed it back down Main Street and decided to make our own way over to Adventureland to use our Indy FPs. It was no easy task..... until we came up with the idea to split up and each make our own way through the crowd without worrying about trying to keep up with each other.... and see who could get there first. It ended up working out great and made the challenge of making our way through the masses of people a little more fun. I was the first one to arrive at Indy. We hopped in line but ended up stopped right in the boarding area with the vehicles broke down. Silly me! I left my camera behind in the room, so I wouldn’t drive DS batty with all my picture taking, and I missed all those photo taking opportunities while we were standing still! We waited about 15 minutes and then were on our way. It seemed to me like some of the lights were not working so it was kind of a bum climax after our long wait.

We decided to make our way around to Fantasyland before they shut things down for the fireworks…. So we were off again on our speed walk race. DS got to Storybookland first this time. Again, I wished I'd brought my camera. We only had a few people on the boat with us this time and although I still ended up on the same side of the boat I had a clear shot across from me so I could have finally gotten some nice shots of the other side.

Next we were going to go to the Bobsleds but the line was crazy long so DS tried to convince me to go on Space Mountain. In return he would do Captain EO with me. We got to Tomorrowland and decided I would do Captain EO and he would do the single rider on SM since I really do not like coasters and he really did not want to even think about liking CE. So off we went in separate directions. Only problem was that there was no single rider line for SM. I could have sworn there used to be! Oh well. Worked out fine for me. By the time he found out I was already inside the show so I stayed and he got to hang around and wait for me. By the time I got out of CE he had decided the line for SM was way too long so he didn’t even try to talk me into going so I got to miss having to ride on that horrid rollercoaster. He had been hanging out in the arcade so he suckered me into a game of air hockey and promptly proceeded to kick my butt again.

We decided on another speed race over to Big Thunder. It was a very pretty ride at night with all the Christmas lights. I still need to try a ride during the fireworks. DS tells me it is the best place to watch them.

I won our last race to the exit of the park. DS would pull out in the lead and then keep checking over his shoulder to see if I were trying to pass him. I did manage to pull it off a time or two so we kept switching position all the way back to our hotel. It was a fun way to not concentrate on the crowd so much, was a fun competition with my son, was much faster than our usual pace and I am pretty sure I burned off the dessert I’d had earlier in the day. We didn’t even run into or over anybody! I forsee a new tradition in the future…. Just between he and I. We called it a tie in the elevator and finished the rest of the way to our room at a leisurely pace. Ended the night ordering in pizza and watching Nightmare Before Christmas. Now we know what HM's NBC overlay is all about!
    Me,DH,DS-23 ,DD-14

• 1375 miles away

Re: Our Long Awaited, Long Awaited Trip Report - November 10-26, 2010 (Photo Heavy)

Day 14, November 23, 2010

DD and I headed out and left the boys behind again this morning. We made our way onto a fairly crowded Main Street.

We checked to see if they might be cookie decorating but no luck so we set off for Pirates.

Busy again!

No telling how many times we have passed this in the line and I have never noticed it.

Next we were going to ride HM but the line was HUGE so we grabbed a FP instead. We only had about 40 minutes to waste before the passes were good so we wandered over to Pooh to waste a short amount of time.

In all the times we have ridden this was the first time I ever remember noticing that the vehicles all had names. The ones we saw were Bother, Gopher, Owl, Mr. Sanders, Kanga, Blustery, Thotful and, of course, Pooh.

There were some real characters wandering around Critter Country.

DD noticed that the canoes were running so she wanted to go on them and opted to come back to HM later after we met the men folk for lunch. The canoes start out seeming like fun but they sure do end up being a lot of work!
    Beautiful fall colors

That's just about how I felt too!

Love those coonskin hats.

Afterwards we met the guys and headed to DTD.

We originally were planning to go to ESPN but ended up at Tortilla Joe’s.

The waitress was great in the beginning. She was very friendly, helpful and eager to please but after we got our food she disappeared until it was tip time… and way past time to refill our drinks. The food was abundant and okay except for DS’s tacos. He had some beef in one that was too tough to even chew.

Afterwards we went back to our room for our mid day break. I’d pretty much decided to not even worry about heading back to the park. DD said she had a terrible headache and the guys were just laying around. DS surprised me and offered to go back with me so we packed up and headed out.

As usual when we arrived in the park right at parade time so we ducked in to watch Mr Lincoln and let the crowd thin out.

It had been lightly misting when we had gone in and when we went back outside after the show there were tons of folks heading out of the park so we thought we would head over to Matterhorn to see if the line had calmed down some but it was still a 45 minute wait so we went on over to HM to use the FPs we had collected earlier. Fantasyland was still pretty packed but we were surprised to see that the Fantasmic crowd was pretty light. We rode HM.

Next was Pirates. We ended up in line, and then in the same boat, with a bunch of giggling obnoxious girls so we were a bit worried about how the ride was going to be. It did turn out to be an unusual ride. As we sailed past Blue Bayou we spotted a couple CMs crossing overhead on a bridge, right after you go past grandpa on the porch. Never had any idea there was a walkway up there so that was kinda of interesting. As the boat made it down the first drop the girls let out the biggest screams I have ever heard. Thankfully, they got it all out of their system and settled down the entire rest of the ride. The boats seemed to be going slower than usual so we had time to see everything around us much better. And, it seemed as though some of the areas were ever better lit than normal. When we got past the bride auction area the first couple chasing each other on the left were not moving… just frozen in place.

After our ride was through DS said that he really wasn’t feeling all that well so we decided to get some food to take back with us. He went over to grab a turkey leg and I went over to get corn dogs for the rest of us. The corn dog cart had no bags but she told me I could ask for one at the Market House so I called DS and told him to meet me there so I could beg for a bag so our supper would not get soggy on the way back to our room in the mist. He beat me there and picked us up some gingerbread cookies and me a hot chocolate. He remembered that I had said I hadn’t had one yet, which I thought was a sweet gesture. Unfortunately, it was just a plain old hot chocolate and not one of the wonderful white hot chocolates so it really wasn’t all that good….. but I didn’t tell him that.

When we got back to the room I realized that while I had been worrying about not having a bag to tow our food in I had accidentally forgot to pick up some mustard. Who can eat corn dogs without mustard? So DS and I made a made dash next door to Denney’s and ordered 1 drink. The girl working there was a real cutie and had been seeing us there pretty regular. She didn’t hesitate even a bit when we asked her if we could have some mustard….. made for good conversation so my DS could flirt with her too.

Got back to the room and watched Veggie Tales, It’s A Meaningful Life which was a great movie.

Only 2 days left! The plan is to spend one last day at CA and one last day at DL.

Sometime I forgot to mention that I had asked DS if he would prefer to spend only 1 week at DL or 2 weeks next year like we have been doing. He is such a good boy! With no coercion from me, he said 2 weeks so I guess I was just reading him all wrong. DD… who knows? And, DH…. Oh well! He owes me 2 weeks! Ha! Ha!
    Me,DH,DS-23 ,DD-14

• Keeper of the fruit rolls

Great continuing report! Farley is my favorite entertainer too. I always make a point to stop and spend some time watching him whenever I manage to come across him.
    -Jennelle AKA Blue AKA Dory

Quote Originally Posted by drphibes View Post
    SBF's lasso of truth makes grown men want to go pee pee.
    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendGonzo View Post
    Have you considered buying a bed?...as far as I can tell you live in an apartment with a computer, a coupon for hungry howies, and there may or may not be a llama there...
    DLR trips in 2011: Jan 12,29,30, Feb 10, March 29, April 3, 22, May 14, 18, 25, June 9, August 8, 21...hopefully soooooooooon

FB, Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast