Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
  1. #1

    • (Not a) New User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Fremont, CA
    Posts
    1,062

    Plans for WestCOT That Made it into DCA

    Hey everybody, after looking at plans for WestCOT (which would have easily blown DCA out of the water into orbit) I noticed some ideas that were implemented into DCA. Everything is from Wikipedia and Yesterland. There was only one thing I noticed about Future World.

    Improved clones of Epcot attractions were also planned for Future World, including Journey Into Imagination.
    It's a real far stretch, but I've read somewhere that the Animation building is about the same size as the JII show building at Epcot. I know the WestCOT plans were scrapped before construction even started, but it's a kinda interesting fact and I thought I'd throw it out there.

    The Africa Corner would feature a white water river raft ride down the fictional Congobezi River, as well as an exhibit on basic farming culture.
    The raft ride was still built, but rethemed to California as the Grizzly River Rapids. An exhibit on agriculture was built as well, being themed to the Bountiful County Farms. The farms were for removed for demoltion, and the land it was on is being used for Carsland.

    In Asia Ride the Dragon, a steel rollercoaster running through the Dragon’s Teeth Mountains that would have had cars designed like the Chinese lion-dragons seen in festival dances. At the point where the coaster would be at its highest, therefore enabling riders to see out of the park, the moving cars would be engulfed in billowing red and gold silks to hide the outside world. For smaller children there would be a carousel in this area, but instead of the more usual horses, the riders would be seated on mythical Asian animals.
    A roller coaster was built near the back of the park, where the World showcase would have been, but was to fit to California theme, was rethemed to a turn-of-the-century boardwalk wooden roller coaster, like the Giant Dipper at the Santa Cruse Beach Boardwalk. However, the coaster was made of steel so it looks nothing like wood. The carousel was also built nearby, but was rethemed to sea creatures, with King Triton from The Little Mermaid.

    Planned for the former parking lot of Disneyland, resorts were intended to be built on WestCOT property, a groundbreaking move for a Disney resort, since WestCOT would be the first Disney theme park of its kind to have resorts actually on its property.
    The plans for a hotel on the property were used for the Grand Californian Hotel, which can be accessed from Disney's California Adventure's Grizzly Peak area and Downtown Disney, as well as having a normal entrance.

    The Americas Corner would continue with a Native American Spirit Lodge show in the Canadian section, and an indoor Mexican area which would have included a fiesta show and restaurant.
    A Native American Spirit show is performed in Grizzly Peak. A Mexican restaurant was also built in the Pacific Wharf area.

    Some picture comparisons:

    A few pictures of what the entire resort would have been. Notice how much larger WestCOT would have been, and how much more space was used for rides instead of restaurants and stores.



    Here's what the Resort looked like with DCA, before its expansion:

    Obviously, it goes without saying that the original plans were much better.
    What we could have gotten:

    And what we got:


    Kinda sad, isn't it? I think it is, but people will complain of WestCOT's unoriginality and being a "copy", despite the fact that it would have many new rides that the original EPCOT Center didn't have, as well as new, updated versions of EPCOT Center classics, such as Horizons, Spaceship Earth (SpaceStation Earth at WestCOT) and Journey into Imagination. Even when those rides age in a hundred years, I'd still prefer them over DCA's cheap tackiness any day. /END RANT. Continuing on...
    Another thing DCA and WestCOT have in common: nice bright things in the middle of their lagoons. Here's WestCOT's:

    And here's DCA's:


    Completely different, but beautiful in their own ways. And imagine if WestCOT got both! It would be way cooler if it were a 360 degree show wrapping all around SpaceStation Earth.

    Some other random art for WestCOT, if you don't know much about it:
    A map of the transportation of the Disneyland Resort:

    A detailed view of the Disneyland Plaza:

    These would have been fancy, detailed replicas of famous landmarks from across the world, with unique, detailed, Disney-quality rides. Instead, we got these cheap stupid shops.


    Some photo's of Disneyland Center (the original name for DtD) and hotels:



    The World of Asia:

    The Old World (Europe)

    A different angle of the World of Asia, with some more of the Old World:

    A view of the World of Africa.

    A view of either the New World (Americas) or the Old World (Europe):

    The original plans for WestCOT called for SpaceStation Earth to be 300 feet tall, 120 feet taller than EPCOT Center's Spaceship Earth. That would mean more space (no pun intented) and more show scenes. However, after citizens of Anaheim complained about this huge eyesore, Disney changed their plans (imagine how the residents felt when they saw the MailBOOMer). To replace SpaceStation Earth as the park's icon would be a giant ugly white spire.


    That's all I have time for now. If I have time, I'll find more. Or you can post anything else that I missed.
    Last edited by DisneyKid1994; 02-15-2011 at 10:08 AM.

    My Twitter! CardfightrHuntr

  2. #2

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    phealn ca
    Posts
    1,531

    Re: Plans for WestCOT That Made it into DCA

    i wish they wold buid westcot as thied cuz that was oragile plan was buid westcot
    I have a problem with dyslexia, but if you will please bear with me, I would love to participate in the conversations here at MiceChat. Thanks for your understanding! - Matthttp://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo[URL=http://www.youtube.com/user/MrDisneylandfan4ever?feature=mhumfeature=mhum#p/u"]http://www.youtube.com/user/matt4mickey123?feature=mhum#p/u[/U- Mattšoš šoš šoš šoš šoš šoš šoš šoš šoš šoš šoš šoš šoš šoš šoš šoš šoš šoš šoš šoš šoš šoš šoš šoš šoš šoš šoš šoš šoš šoš šoš šoš šoš šo[disneyland repctive of the wedsday show dca eathen brithday 282 by mickeyfan4ever1234, on Flickr

  3. #3

    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Paris, France / Los Angeles
    Posts
    38,887
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Plans for WestCOT That Made it into DCA

    Three things: Aerial view, looks awesome and Africa should be fixed.

    The first two are Port Disney in Long Beach, and that's a Central American pyramid not an Egyptian one.

  4. #4

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Santa Clarita (SoCal)
    Posts
    46

    Re: Plans for WestCOT That Made it into DCA

    If the plans had gone through for the entire resort to be transformed into what the concept art showed I think we would have had a winner, but in reality every project tends to over sell it's self with concept art before it actually happens, and things get cut down by the time we get the final product. While we still could of had an awesome second gate, I bet a lot of the same issues would of came up again, with the main one being the lack of Disney Characters present in the Park. I think that DLR really is the resort that thrives on retelling Disney movies, which is why the general public would still not be happy with WesCOT

  5. #5

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Not at Disneyland :(
    Posts
    2,481

    Re: Plans for WestCOT That Made it into DCA

    Quote Originally Posted by GoogleMickey View Post
    If the plans had gone through for the entire resort to be transformed into what the concept art showed I think we would have had a winner, but in reality every project tends to over sell it's self with concept art before it actually happens, and things get cut down by the time we get the final product.
    That's called "pitching it to the boss" and marketing. You're exactly right.

    If I remember correctly DCAs concept art made DCA look quite impressive. I think that DCA has fallen below is because 1, people (fans) were mostly expecting WestCot. 2. They oversold it and then didn't deliver what they said because of cost cutting. 3. Disneyland was being toughted that is was going to be Walt's biggest failure and the skeptics were right. When they said that DCA was going to be just the same, the skeptics won and people listened. 4. And tourism dropped nearly 7 months to the day from DCA's opening because of September 11th.

    And and DisneyKid1994, thanks for digging up all the artwork for WestCot, fun to look at what might have been (and maybe might still be.)
    Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

  6. #6

    • film975
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Fullerton, CA
    Posts
    1,439

    Re: Plans for WestCOT That Made it into DCA

    Yeah. That was an interesting read. But DCA is changing for the better. I can't wait until the expansion project is all done.

  7. #7

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,454

    Re: Plans for WestCOT That Made it into DCA

    The raft ride and coaster were also very similar to those planned for Disney's America. Clearly they really wanted to use those ride systems somewhere. I'm really not sure how much else is really connected.

    Although the plans look stunning in many ways, the more I think about it, the more I'm glad we didn't get Westcot. To me Future World originally was what made Epcot still somewhat of a snapshot vision of Walt's Community of Tomorrow. But this design was really mostly focused on the World Showcase, a small piece of FW was going to remain, but with little purpose. I also agree that the lack of characters would have probably hurt the park.

    I wouldn't mind seeing the third gate take some cues from Westcot, but I would change a few major things. First, I would eliminate any Future World concept and have the entire park focused on the world and international cultures aspect. The other thing I would change is that I would take a much more fantasy direction with this, more along the lines of Disney Sea, and incorporate many more movies and characters.

    It really makes a lot of sense, there are so many stories that could be set in their location of origin. Actually, it's kind of amazing to think about how many opportunities there are to use some really popular movies that don't have very much representation yet at DLR. Here's a few that would be obvious just off the top of my head: Mary Poppins, Lion King, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, Hercules, Mulan, Sword in the Stone, Hunchback, Jungle Book, The Three Caballeros and Pooh would be better here too. I know there's a few more, but all those would be potentially perfect mixed in with some more educational attractions and then add a few original E-tickets and you'd have one of Disney's best parks.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

  8. #8

    • Nutty about Disney parks
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    2,849

    Re: Plans for WestCOT That Made it into DCA

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    Although the plans look stunning in many ways, the more I think about it, the more I'm glad we didn't get Westcot. To me Future World originally was what made Epcot still somewhat of a snapshot vision of Walt's Community of Tomorrow. But this design was really mostly focused on the World Showcase, a small piece of FW was going to remain, but with little purpose. I also agree that the lack of characters would have probably hurt the park.
    I never liked the idea of WestCot. It's way too elaborate for something that's gonna be a walk cross from it's simpleton neighbor Disneyland. And mostly I just don't like the idea of a unique and elaborate park like Epcot getting cloned within the same country. The World Showcase should be a one spot unique experience that can't be duplicated anywhere else in the U.S. though I will admit if the WS in Epcot was more like the concept art in this thread, it would've made it a bigger winner. I would love to see that World of Asia concept art become the real deal at DAK.

    I also can't believe that they would mess up the original layout plans for the resort by dumping the Grand Californian in the theme park area. The concept art would've made the resort layout alot more organized and DCA would've had a lot more space to work with as a park. It's a bummer that DLR will probably never expand beyond the three current hotels it has now.

  9. #9

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,468

    Re: Plans for WestCOT That Made it into DCA

    They still could extend the Monorail and PeopleMover tracks, right?

  10. #10

    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Paris, France / Los Angeles
    Posts
    38,887
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Plans for WestCOT That Made it into DCA

    Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    I never liked the idea of WestCot. It's way too elaborate for something that's gonna be a walk cross from it's simpleton neighbor Disneyland. And mostly I just don't like the idea of a unique and elaborate park like Epcot getting cloned within the same country. The World Showcase should be a one spot unique experience that can't be duplicated anywhere else in the U.S..
    Whoa, whoa whoa. You never liked an elaborate companion to Disneyland? Which you think is simpleton? Wait... I'll come back to that.

    The recreations of other countries should not be recreated anywhere else on Earth but in Orlando, Florida?

    What makes them sacred? Being in Florida? Being original? Because they imitate real places, don't try to be their own place. Let's come back to this.

    Part of the reason DCA was so weak is A. It wasn't even built out all the way to the corner and B. It didn't offer any Disney magic and C. It didn't offer a full day's worth of activities.

    DCA was so lightly themed and off the shelf that it makes you want to leave and go back to Disneyland. So I don't understand your argument.

    Now as for "the only Fake France should be the Fake France in Florida" argument. WHY???

  11. #11

    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Paris, France / Los Angeles
    Posts
    38,887
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Plans for WestCOT That Made it into DCA


    Looks REALLY awesome!



    I'll repeat, these two images were for the park they considered in Long Beach, CA. Not Westcot.

  12. #12

    • (Not a) New User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Fremont, CA
    Posts
    1,062

    Re: Plans for WestCOT That Made it into DCA

    Oh okay, I'll take them down then. But they still look awesome.

    My Twitter! CardfightrHuntr

  13. #13

    • (Not a) New User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Fremont, CA
    Posts
    1,062

    Re: Plans for WestCOT That Made it into DCA

    Double post.

    Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Whoa, whoa whoa. You never liked an elaborate companion to Disneyland? Which you think is simpleton? Wait... I'll come back to that.

    The recreations of other countries should not be recreated anywhere else on Earth but in Orlando, Florida?

    What makes them sacred? Being in Florida? Being original? Because they imitate real places, don't try to be their own place. Let's come back to this.

    Part of the reason DCA was so weak is A. It wasn't even built out all the way to the corner and B. It didn't offer any Disney magic and C. It didn't offer a full day's worth of activities.

    DCA was so lightly themed and off the shelf that it makes you want to leave and go back to Disneyland. So I don't understand your argument.

    Now as for "the only Fake France should be the Fake France in Florida" argument. WHY???
    Exactly. This is why I don't have a problem with clones. As long as it's good, I really don't care if there's another one. Hell, when I went to WDW last summer I was happy they had Star Tours because the one at DL was already closed. We got to ride it one last time. And besides, a lot of people can't afford to go to WDW if they live on the West Coast. I can because we got the passes that are good for DL and WDW but still a lot of people can't XP.

    My Twitter! CardfightrHuntr

  14. #14

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    38

    Re: Plans for WestCOT That Made it into DCA

    Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    I never liked the idea of WestCot. It's way too elaborate for something that's gonna be a walk cross from it's simpleton neighbor Disneyland. And mostly I just don't like the idea of a unique and elaborate park like Epcot getting cloned within the same country. The World Showcase should be a one spot unique experience that can't be duplicated anywhere else in the U.S. though I will admit if the WS in Epcot was more like the concept art in this thread, it would've made it a bigger winner. I would love to see that World of Asia concept art become the real deal at DAK.

    I also can't believe that they would mess up the original layout plans for the resort by dumping the Grand Californian in the theme park area. The concept art would've made the resort layout alot more organized and DCA would've had a lot more space to work with as a park. It's a bummer that DLR will probably never expand beyond the three current hotels it has now.
    I totally agree. If they had at least utilized the space and layout like WestCOT, then DCA would flow a lot nicer and be in better shape to expand and restructure. =/

  15. #15

    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Paris, France / Los Angeles
    Posts
    38,887
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Plans for WestCOT That Made it into DCA

    You know, don't clone the Matterhorn. It's been unique and original since 1959. Let WDW keep Expedition Everest an exclusive. But that doesn't mean no clones.

    In fact the updates that would have gone into Westcot might have then pollinated a refreshening of Epcot-East Coast.

    This was the way to go, what we have now looks like a tumor not a twin.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Chat] Where should the Villains Go?
    By techskip in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-30-2008, 10:36 AM
  2. [Other] The Disney lands that never was
    By jackskeleton1015 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-30-2008, 02:40 AM
  3. DCA: AN interesting look back at the last 4+ years
    By Darkbeer in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 224
    Last Post: 03-09-2007, 03:18 PM
  4. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 02-08-2007, 01:42 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •