• Former Cast Member

So are they going through with the new Matterhorn bobsleds?

The Matterhorn bobsleds are sacred. If I can't hug or comfortably hold the hands of my scared but brave children when I convince them to ride on the these big rides then why am I going to Disneyland at all. In the name of safety, they and the California regulators are making it very hard on families.

The Matterhorn is the first thing my family does when we get there and the last thing we do before we go home. We usually only take kids that are 35 inches for precisely the reason that they can go on the Matterhorn in our arms. It makes trading off the baby for the other large rides bearable because at least we can go on this one roller coaster together. Single file 3 seaters makes it so the youngest kid you could probably take on the Matterhorn is a 5 year old. Because a 3 and a 4 year old would likely be too scared to sit by themselves. This is a horrible idea for the Matterhorn. The Matterhorn has changed very little from the time that I was a kid and I for one enjoy that consistency.

SpaceMtnAlum94
    Very few have had the privilege of operating Space Mountain. Fewer still have pushed the A-lift stop. I am one of those few.

• Banned User

Re: So are they going through with the new Matterhorn bobsleds?

I don't think it's about safety as much as comfort. Yeah, that's good you can take your little ones with you so they can "man up" to the fast rides, but they'll grow out of that soon enough, unless you're having a never ending stream of babies. For most adults, the ride is pretty f'in uncomfortable. If I'm with a gal, I feel squished in there, and my knee constantly bangs against the side, if I'm alone I'm bouncing everywhere and at risk of having my back thrown out. I know I'm not the only one who feels that way.

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Quote Originally Posted by noleafclover1980 View Post
    I don't think it's about safety as much as comfort. Yeah, that's good you can take your little ones with you so they can "man up" to the fast rides, but they'll grow out of that soon enough, unless you're having a never ending stream of babies. For most adults, the ride is pretty f'in uncomfortable. If I'm with a gal, I feel squished in there, and my knee constantly bangs against the side, if I'm alone I'm bouncing everywhere and at risk of having my back thrown out. I know I'm not the only one who feels that way.
    How will a reduction in seating space increase comfort? They are talking about removing leg room, not increasing it. The new design is very similar to Splash Mountain which has very little leg room. Now imagine that on the Matterhorn which is a lot more rough than SM. The new design was not considered for comfort, the purpose was to supposedly "increase capacity," something I highly doubt would even make a difference. I'm highly suspect of this claim considering that Matterhorn has higher capacity if all seats have 2 guests. Since that doesn't generally happen it might average out to the same number as the new sleds.

I totally agree with the OP and it's not just children either, many couples like the ability to ride the Matterhorn together. There has to be a way to pad the interior better so that guests wont be uncomfortable when hitting their legs on the side.
    Last edited by Seawolf; 02-15-2011 at 09:06 PM.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    How will a reduction in seating space increase comfort? They are talking about removing leg room, not increasing it. The new design is very similar to Splash Mountain which has very little leg room. Now imagine that on the Matterhorn which is a lot more rough than SM. The new design was not considered for comfort, the purpose was to supposedly "increase capacity," something I highly doubt would even make a difference. I'm highly suspect of this claim considering that Matterhorn has higher capacity if all seats have 2 guests. Since that doesn't generally happen it might average out to the same number as the new sleds.

I totally agree with the OP and it's not just children either, many couples like the ability to ride the Matterhorn together. There has to be a way to pad the interior better so that guests wont be uncomfortable when hitting their legs on the side.

Well, from what I see, what you lose in leg room, you make up for in not being thrown around lol. The uncomfortable part of the ride for me is the side to side movement more then anything. I'm not a big guy by any means, but the last time I rode it w/ a gal, was interesting trying to get comfortable and fit right since we both had pretty long legs for our height. (I'm about 5'8" and she was around 5'7")

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

If the new bobsleds are roughly the same size and shape as the rockets on WDW's Space Mountain, then I'll be a very happy camper. Those seats were super comfy, and although my knees were in the back of the seat in front of me (I'm 6'4"), the back of the seat was padded. I had no comfort issues whatsoever in those rockets and can't wait for somethings similar out here!

Bring 'em on!

• Jack of All Trades

I can't wait for the new ride vehicles. noleafclover1980 is right. The current one's are totally uncomfortable and I dread riding it. My kids love the ride, but even they say the same thing.

Seriously! I can...not...wait! This is perfect! It's way overdue for a change.
    "People of Earth, how are you?"

A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

"I am a nice shark, not a mindless eating machine. If I am to change this image, I must first change myself.
    Fish are friends, not food."

• Nope! No grown-ups here!

Wink Re: So are they going through with the new Matterhorn bobsleds?

Maybe they'll add a 'skeleton' style vehicle for single riders that really prefer the feel of the ride the way it is now.
    Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

If Matterhorn gets coaster cars similar to WDW's Space Mountain, I would be a happy camper.

The pics of the prototype Matterhorn cars looked more boxed in and less comfortable. That made me worried as a big guy and for tall people.

I believe the Matterhorn and WDW Space Mountain are engineered for similar length ride vehicles so I know the Matterhorn CAN get the more comfortable WDW SM vehicles but maybe the legals want to restrict Matterhorn riders more since walls and structures are closer to the rider than on WDW SM. I don't know.

Whatever they do, hopefully they finally get around to replacing the track.

Wishful thinking, I know, but it's already 20 years late.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Advent View Post
    Whatever they do, hopefully they finally get around to replacing the track.

Wishful thinking, I know, but it's already 20 years late.
    They've replaced it in sections over the years, a complete replacement is never going to come and it might not even help. The rough ride comes from the tightness of the turns and the layout as much as it does the track metal itself.

• Tink 2 Three

I would really like to see new bobsleds. I can see that new bobsleds would increase capacity. In my family of five - we all want to ride without someone in our laps, so we each say one. That's five cars riding with only five people. It might be selfish, but my 18 & 20 year old sons don't want their mother in their laps! And when my 14 year old daughter rides with me, I am constantly getting an elbow or head knocked into me.

• Former Cast Member

How about a 7 seater.

Maybe the best idea for the seats is to have 1 car with individual seating and 1 car with the normal double seating. That would fit 5 to 7. It would still allow for more comfort from large riders and parents with kids, but would give some individual seating as well.

And I don't really understand all this complain about knee bumping and such. The Matterhorn is what it is. And, I like the jerky nature of it. It is a part of its character. Aferall, it is the first ride of its kind. Of course it wasn't a perfect smooth ride, but its still great. Talk about smoothing out the track is unfathomable.

SMA94
    Very few have had the privilege of operating Space Mountain. Fewer still have pushed the A-lift stop. I am one of those few.