Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

•   
    • Support MC - Go GOLD!

Re: Tom Staggs Talks About the Future of Visiting Disney Parks (NextGen)

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    It does sound cool, but what about the spontaneity and exploration that once defined the Disney experience?
    Have same thoughts about this.
    I'm really not sure about booking my ride in advance.
    Yeah, shorter line is nice
    but what sounds good while "booking" can change once your in the park.
    Vacations aren't fun when everything is booked for every second. Doing impromptu things are fun.

And as mentioned in a previous post....this is def. big brother watching you (brother just being Disney).
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• formerly very helpful

I'm trying to like this, but I'm really apprehensive. I like being spontaneous, and exploring. Taking it slow if I want to. I like "lucking out" and happening upon a short line that I wasn't expecting, and jumping in there.
    I know it's optional, but what will it mean to the waits and availability for those who chose not to take part in this?

• Nutty about Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    I'm trying to like this, but I'm really apprehensive. I like being spontaneous, and exploring. Taking it slow if I want to. I like "lucking out" and happening upon a short line that I wasn't expecting, and jumping in there.
    I know it's optional, but what will it mean to the waits and availability for those who chose not to take part in this?
    It's gonna be horrific for those who don't plan ahead. Ever since the dining plan was introduced at WDW, you got lucky if you could find a sit down restaurant in the parks which wasn't closed off for reservations only. How the heck am I supposed to know what day I'm going to a particular park or what hour I am going to get hungry? It's gonna be a really irritating system. I do hope however that they have this system in place maybe in the Disney hotels themselves so that guests can wake up and maybe go to the planning channel on their hotel room TVs and plan this out. To plan out every single tiny detail months prior to going is ridiculous and sucks out the point of relaxation in a vacation.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

To plan it anytime is ridiculous. How can I enjoy what I'm doing now when I worry about if its going to interfere with another 'appointment.' And what if I miss my meal time? I won't be able to get a new one if the restaurant is going to be booked. Disney was starting to look like they were on the cusp of something amazing with the WDW Fantasyland Expansion and the DCA work, but this throws all my current good will for them out the window.
    Last edited by mr. taag; 02-17-2011 at 07:22 PM.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    Can they reserve me a time to visit Harry Potter?
    Win.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Jack of All Trades

Don't worry, kids.

NextGen is gonna rock. They will have the kinks and issues worked out. C'mon now... they are spending about $1.5billion for this initiative. More or less what it is taking to build Cars Land, TLM:AUA, Buena Vista Street, WOC, GSS, SSS, etc. That amount of cash will result in a one-of-a-kind, game-changing system.

We shouldn't go too far down the road with speculation based soley on Tom's public statements.

Trust me, I can wait. It'll be amazing. :-)
    Last edited by dude4real; 02-17-2011 at 07:41 PM. Reason: ohhh, you pesky typos...
    "People of Earth, how are you?"

A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

"I am a nice shark, not a mindless eating machine. If I am to change this image, I must first change myself.
    Fish are friends, not food."

• Nutty about Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    It does sound cool, but what about the spontaneity and exploration that once defined the Disney experience? I'm all for shorter waits, but what about taking the time to suck in some detail between the 4:15 at Space Mt. and the 4:35 at BTMRR. Unless they can make it seamless with some time to look around and enjoy all that stuff they pay to put outside the attractions, this might leave something to be desired.
    I wouldn't schedule an attraction in Tomorrowland right next to an attraction in Frontierland anyway considering that they're on opposite sides of the park. You would have to have a really good knowledge of the park's layout in order to schedule everything perfectly. For example if the first attraction you do in the park is Indiana Jones, you better schedule your next attractions around those in the same area. Then slowly work your way circulary around the park. Don't schedule anything that would require a hurried walk across the park unless you have no choice and have plenty of free time prior to shows where you need to get there early for a good seat. Any free time you have better not be taken far away from the next attraction on your schedule.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

With the information that we're given, I'm not a fan of the idea because the drawbacks on both sides make it look like a lose-lose situation. Every time you visit the park you have to decide whether to choose the daunting task of planning out your entire day and sticking to a schedule or waiting in longer lines. I'm just hoping dude4real is right

I think the program's greatest hope is to rely on other aspects besides purely scheduling ahead.

Way too many issues arrise with a perfect scheduling system. Especially if something happens that offsets your schedule.

Best thing they can do is to change details here and there that improve peoples experience without requiring people to be aware of exactly whats happening.

I mean ideas like showpass and the dance parties themselves all seem to be in line with this. Obviously the playground wait system is different then a reservation system.

A reservation system similar to fastpass that encourages people to soak in other details rather than rush to the next ride to double wait might be great.

I'm willing to wait and see how this all ends up functioning. I think the only real rise for concern we can have at this point is what has happened to the dining programs.
    "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

I really think this won't get in the way of the daily park lines and fast passes.

For example. I'm waiting in line for Space Mountain. I see someone use their Fast Pass and they go down the fast pass line to get on it first. Here comes a person with a reservation for an hour block for Space Mountain. They go directly into the Fast Pass line and it doesn't really stop me from getting on the ride.

This may just be another person or family standing in front of me in "line".

That doesn't bother me. That's how I think this system will work. I don't think there will be less fast passes for the park to distribute. There will just be more traffic for FastPass, creating a wait that may be an extra minute or so, depending how many people are there right when I'm standing in line.

Remember, if they follow the hour block rule, a family has a Space Mountain reservation for 2pm, I get there around 2:14pm with my own fast pass and they come around the 2:45pm slot, well it doesn't bother me at all. If they come a minute before me, well I would expect that. I expect someone else using a Fast Pass system method to get in the same line.

I just don't think this is a problem or a hassle. It's just moving some people who would have stayed in the long 3o plus minute long lines and shuffle them into the Fast Pass line. The fast Pass line becomes a few minutes longer and the longer line itself should become less of a wait.

As for the drama of "sorry kids, we booked small world and we have to ride it at 2pm, we can't do that other thing because we have to be at small world at 2pm and we're on the other side of the park". We'll I can only assume that this will be yet another hassle to the vacation and we all know hardly anyone visiting disney theme parks stick to a strict schedule.

If I miss my Fast Pass window for 2pm I never have a problem going around 4pm to use my 2pm fastpass. They always understand that something kept me from being there at 2pm. I suspect there will be some families who will make their reserved ride times while others will ride it later during another hour block.

I don't believe this fast pass reservation will be as strict as dining since no one is paying for rides.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

I understand the concept behind Glow Fest and ElecTRONica and it certainly gives people a reason to spend money at DCA while waiting for WoC, but I think that circumstance has more to do with the limited options and early ride closures. At DLR there's so much evening entertainment that you can't possibly see it all in an night, not to say that I wouldn't like to see any more.
    The part that I don't understand is, what if 30,000 people want to ride Space Mountain on a Saturday in July? Even if you schedule them and give them something else to do instead of waiting in a 75-90 minute line, there will never be a point where you can just walk up and get on the ride because you are just one person among tens of thousands. And just with the fastpass system, if you give some people priority (regardless of whether they choose to use the system or not), the wait time doesn't go away, it just gets displaced to the standby line. Also, maybe it's not better to give people a reason to be out of the queue. If Disney could guarantee a 10 minute wait on all of the rides, wouldn't they have to decrease the park capacity if more people were in the pathways (attacking your ankles with strollers :P ) and not in holding areas for 20-40 minutes?
    And I will certainly be concerned about the impact it has on dining. My favorite place to eat is Cafe Orleans and there's already no guarantee that I'll be able to get a table if I decide I want something more substantial than cart food or a cold hamburger.
    Disney might have found a solution but from the little information I have, it is hard for me to be anything but skeptical.

• Goofy

seems like common senses has died.

• Blew By You

Do not like the reservation idea. It boggles the mind that Disney feels this is a way for future Disneyland visits. For a moment, try to remember that Disneyland was created for families to enjoy their time together.

• Goofy

Quote Originally Posted by bayouguy View Post
    Do not like the reservation idea. It boggles the mind that Disney feels this is a way for future Disneyland visits. For a moment, try to remember that Disneyland was created for families to enjoy their time together.

exactly.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dude4real View Post
    Don't worry, kids.

NextGen is gonna rock. They will have the kinks and issues worked out. C'mon now... they are spending about $1.5billion for this initiative. More or less what it is taking to build Cars Land, TLM:AUA, Buena Vista Street, WOC, GSS, SSS, etc. That amount of cash will result in a one-of-a-kind, game-changing system.

We shouldn't go too far down the road with speculation based soley on Tom's public statements.

Trust me, I can wait. It'll be amazing. :-)
    Of course w should not..but since that's all the info they have given us it is a scary thought.....the park was made 55 years ago and if anyone is smart enough to use the Fastpass system the longest line you will wait in is Toy Story Mainia for an hour the rest is all about timing really....don't see why they need to change the whole system, unless its all about just making money not making magic.

Like people have said the WOC showpass works because of Glowfest/electonica (and the fact that you an go on any ride u want before hand) Making all rides require a "showpass" to get on the ride in under 20 mins, just seems crazy. I ride at least all of the Big rides in 1 day and most of them a second time...with this system I don't think that will be realistic.
    So yes I will wait less but I'll also go on less and when I'm walking around the park for an hour with nothing to go on...its going to suck. Now I'm all for Interactive Q's and more Fastpass machines.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast