Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Re: Tom Staggs Talks About the Future of Visiting Disney Parks (NextGen)

Quote Originally Posted by Quacky4Donald View Post
    Nobody's forcing anybody to utilize the system. It's merely an option for people to use if they so choose to do so.
    But one can easily assume that those who don't (or can't depending on eligibility) will suffer at the hands of those who are just walking on with reservations. Kind of like those who can't figure out fastpass but now it will actually be confusing enough that ignorance is legitimate.

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    I wouldn't schedule an attraction in Tomorrowland right next to an attraction in Frontierland anyway considering that they're on opposite sides of the park. You would have to have a really good knowledge of the park's layout in order to schedule everything perfectly. For example if the first attraction you do in the park is Indiana Jones, you better schedule your next attractions around those in the same area. Then slowly work your way circulary around the park. Don't schedule anything that would require a hurried walk across the park unless you have no choice and have plenty of free time prior to shows where you need to get there early for a good seat. Any free time you have better not be taken far away from the next attraction on your schedule.
    Thats exactly the issue I was getting at but I didn't fully explain each bit. Suddenly you either need lots of knowledge to make decisions like this a long time in advance or you risk being left out in the cold or missing things. Its hardly the relaxing dream vacation everyone dreams of if you end up realizing you're going to spend all your free time running from place to place with no time to stop and smell the roses.

The other extreme is of course the case where Disney does it for you. Sure, they might know better how to schedule but its hardly your vacation and more a tour at that point. Heres hoping they leave lots of time to explore the heart of the place that was designed and built to be explored.

Quote Originally Posted by Micoofy Duck View Post
    I really think this won't get in the way of the daily park lines and fast passes.

For example. I'm waiting in line for Space Mountain. I see someone use their Fast Pass and they go down the fast pass line to get on it first. Here comes a person with a reservation for an hour block for Space Mountain. They go directly into the Fast Pass line and it doesn't really stop me from getting on the ride.

This may just be another person or family standing in front of me in "line".

That doesn't bother me. That's how I think this system will work. I don't think there will be less fast passes for the park to distribute. There will just be more traffic for FastPass, creating a wait that may be an extra minute or so, depending how many people are there right when I'm standing in line.

Remember, if they follow the hour block rule, a family has a Space Mountain reservation for 2pm, I get there around 2:14pm with my own fast pass and they come around the 2:45pm slot, well it doesn't bother me at all. If they come a minute before me, well I would expect that. I expect someone else using a Fast Pass system method to get in the same line.

I just don't think this is a problem or a hassle. It's just moving some people who would have stayed in the long 3o plus minute long lines and shuffle them into the Fast Pass line. The fast Pass line becomes a few minutes longer and the longer line itself should become less of a wait.

As for the drama of "sorry kids, we booked small world and we have to ride it at 2pm, we can't do that other thing because we have to be at small world at 2pm and we're on the other side of the park". We'll I can only assume that this will be yet another hassle to the vacation and we all know hardly anyone visiting disney theme parks stick to a strict schedule.

If I miss my Fast Pass window for 2pm I never have a problem going around 4pm to use my 2pm fastpass. They always understand that something kept me from being there at 2pm. I suspect there will be some families who will make their reserved ride times while others will ride it later during another hour block.

I don't believe this fast pass reservation will be as strict as dining since no one is paying for rides.
    This is what I read out of it. It will affect WDW a decent amount, because people need to plan their vacations out well in advance out there anyway. For DLR, I think it will be basically exactly like Micoofy said - you can get a FastPass for select rides ahead of time, which means less FastPasses are available in the parks on a given day, or the same amount are given out in the parks and there are just more people in the FastPass line. Either way, it seems to me like the Standby line gets shorter, and potentially more interactive.

Also, I don't see where everyone is getting this idea that all attractions would be "reserve-only". They aren't going to make you sign up 3 months in advance to ride the tea cups. I can't imagine that it'll be more than the current FastPass rides, plus maybe the other big E-tickets... Pirates, Haunted Mansion, etc.

I also didn't get out of the article that you're going to be required to save a spot. Disney knows that not everyone in the world knows about their NextGen stuff, just like not everyone knows about FastPass. They will make sure that there is always a Standby line open for the "regular" guest that didn't know about the other options available to them. You'll still be able to enjoy the park at your own pace if you want to - or, if you want, you can print some extra FastPasses ahead of time.
    *I am an employee of The Walt Disney Company*
    *All words above are my own and do not represent TWDC, nor do I speak on their behalf*
    *All words above conform to the Social Media policy distributed to employees; no confidential information is divulged*

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^let us hope so, most of us seem more skeptical now because we don't know how they are going to apply these things at Disneyland...which most people don't plan out what they are going to do in the day step by step...stuff just happens..you get a Fastpass for Indy and see Pirates has a low wait so you go on it then go on from there...and yes I hope the Tea Cups won't us this system at all...and it would be hard to do this to any of the Fantasyland rides unless they redo the whole Q's

Now the recent survey I received in email makes sense. They were asking questions about what would make having to pay rack rate attractive enough to forgo any discounts. Check in at 8am, ressies 120 days out, etc.

My guess is there will be a signifigant cost attached to this type of pre planning. If vacationers are willing to pay the price I can see these perks being nice. What this would do to those not staying in hotels, probably not so nice.

One of the aspects I dislike about WDW is all the planning one must do in order to eat anywhere other than counter service restaurants. Looks like pre planning on steriods will be necessary at DLR in the future.

dsny1mom

• ---------------

I'm sure Disney is working hard to make it a good system,
    However
    (if I had a choice and if its true they are spending what its taking to build cars land)
    I'd rather see TL get some lovin vs a reservation system.
    Yeah, I'm sure many would love not to stand in line
    but aren't there bigger issues that the money should go to?
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

This is especially going to be harsh on children. Children don't plan their day. Are we really going to tell a toddler, you can't see Mickey who's standing right over there because we don't have a reservation and the walk up slots before Mickey has to take a break have alreaedy been taken? The move favors planners over non-planners and children simply aren't planners.

It will also make the walkways (which were never built to absorb those crowds...Disneyland at least was designed with lines in mind) unbearable. Even if it does work like fast pass, it does seem like there will be more of them, leading to higher pressure on non-fast past attractions and public walk ways. 1 1/2 hours for dumbo anyone? 2 for peter pan?

• Vidia's Minion

I'm not sure I'm sold on this yet. I agree with some of the MCers here that making up your path once you get in the park is the best experience.

Plus during summer or holiday season will this happen?

/reserve pass for space mountain
    sorry those are sold out please wait in the normal que

/reserve pass for Indy

/reserve pass for WoC

/reserve pass for Pixie Hollow meet and greet
    sorry those are all sold out to Capn Hook please try again next month

Ok so that last one was a joke but with all the pass holders is the system going to be gamed a bit? It's gamed a bit atm with people not sticking to the end times of the FP's.

• Honorary Jungle Skipper

I kind of went on and on about my reactions to this over on my blog. Had more to say than I thought, I guess!

I posted this in reply to the front page news article (http://micechat.com/forums/news/1503...eme-parks.html) but seen as this is the more popular thread it makes sense to post it here:

Reserve rides from home. Seriously, just read that out loud. Reserve rides from home...

That's the stupidest theme park idea I've ever heard, and I've read Kermitdefrogs Gemini series. What the heck are they thinking? Want to believe you've been transported to a real world of fairytales, ready to decide which adventure you are about to embark upon, be it seven dwarf minecars, swimming beneath the waves with mermaids or dining in an enchanted castle? Sorry, you didn't fill out the paperwork: check your schedule, bud, you have a Fastpass for Space Mountain that you booked six months ago that expires in half an hour so get off your butt and ride it. What's that? You feel queasy from the ice-cream you just enjoyed, you want to enjoy the scenery, perhaps meet a princess? Well tough luck getting on any E-tickets for the rest of the day then, they're all sold out. Use it or lose it. And you think you can meet a Princess? Newb, I hope you purchased a premium restaurant package. Perhaps spend some time and money in our fabulous shops, you wonderful little consumer you. ("Any way we can charge extra to them for the PRIVALEGE of buying things like D23 did?")

This sounds like some suits wet dream - they're going to know exactly where the crowds are going to be every minute, nothing's left to chance. Scheduling and paperwork are being pushed to the forefront by people who don't have a clue about immersion, spontaneous fun and magic in any other definition than as a corporate buzzword. "They're just rides... surely it doesn't matter when they ride them?" I can hear the suits thinking. "Can't we just march them through ride by ride till they're all ticked off - quick and efficient! Maybe we could charge for that."

Interactive queues and all are nice, but reserving your attraction, show and character meet ups is stripping the park of its spontaneity. And this is costing a billion dollars... money that should have been spent adding and fixing attractions. Have they lost sight of why people go to the parks? (Someone commented in the linked article that this seems to be squashing more people into parks that need more attractions already). I really think they're going in entirely the opposite direction to where they should with this. This seems like (or perhaps I hope) they'll try it out, find it doesn't work, and the results will just be one collosal waste of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Brown Monkey View Post
    I think it's kind of cool. It offers alot more leeway and the ability to not be so "stressed" when you're visiting the parks. And like others have said, this is not going to remove spontaneity. It's not like you'd be required to use this feature. It looks like it will just give another option to those that wish to use it, like me.
    Brown Monkey, I respectfully disagree with literally every point you made there. I don't think it's kind of cool, it does not offer more leeway to not be so stressed out ("Lets go on It's a Small World!" the children shout with joy... "Don't be so stupid!" chastises the father, "our prebooked Fastpass for Splash opened up five minutes ago, now walk as fast as your legs will carry you"), yes this IS going to remove spontineity (you know how lines are artificially inflated by Fastpass, this is just expanding on that), and it WILL be a feature you HAVE to use, or you're gonna be screwed over. I don't 'have' to use Fastpass, but if I don't I won't get on half as many rides because that's the way the system works. I have to use it, or I voluntarily become one of those people that Fastpass exploits to let you skip the queue.

I really hope all this stuff about it being a 'game changer' is marketing hyperbole, otherwise it looks like the theme park is changing into a game I don't want to play. It's no longer 'make believe', it's Microsoft Excel LIVE!

Beastly Kingdom
    ? Sci-fi City? Pirateland? Port Disney? Discovery Bay?
    My website: The Neverland Files - all about Disney projects that never got built!
    My blog: Disneyology - Imagineering news and commentary!

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by Jayce View Post
    It's gamed a bit atm with people not sticking to the end times of the FP's.
    From what they said it will be an RFID bracelet which allows them to store the return time range. When they person walks up to the CM the RFID reader grabs any reservations for that ride during the current time. It will most likely either say simply "yup" or "nope." Enforcing the return time becomes easy. You're not here during your reserved time, you don't ride. So gaming it that way isn't going to happen any more, I hope. However, I think that reservation slots will fill up ridiculously quickly with all the local AP holders. And given the desired result from this system, the queues will most likely favor this "reserved" slot more than the standby. This screws the tourists, for the most part. Even if they don't favor one over the other and do a 50/50 thing it still is no change from what is currently going on except from an administrative point of view.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Disney Fan & Musician

I'm really against it, but I feel like we haven't heard the whole plan yet. Whether you think so or not, Disney is a smart enough company, and will find a way to implement this better than we're thinking.
    Follow me on --> Twitter (@soda)

• Honorary Jungle Skipper

[QUOTE=mycroft16;1056439760]You're not here during your reserved time, you don't ride. So gaming it that way isn't going to happen any more, I hope. [QUOTE]

It's just as easy to say that with the current system. They just choose not to. I think that's largely because they don't want to deal with the endless complaining they'd get from guests if they DID inforce it. Hard to see this changing that.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by clockworkmonkey View Post
    It's just as easy to say that with the current system. They just choose not to. I think that's largely because they don't want to deal with the endless complaining they'd get from guests if they DID inforce it. Hard to see this changing that.
    I agree... they could enforce it now. The fact that they don't has led to problems. Not enforcing it on this new thing will break it as well.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• UnExiled Minion

Quote Originally Posted by bayouguy View Post
    Do not like the reservation idea. It boggles the mind that Disney feels this is a way for future Disneyland visits. For a moment, try to remember that Disneyland was created for families to enjoy their time together.
    Seems more geared toward WDW, with its tens of thousands of hotel rooms.
    Not sure it would be available to a local population of either US-based Disney resort area.

Regardless, guests using this system will be waiting somewhere. Just not in the physical queue that has worked for 50+ years.

Also, I see in this more of a "We give up trying to make magic; go make your own" attitude, than what Walt made of the company.

Can't wait for the individualized Disney Films project. "You can make that princess whatever nationality you want!!!"
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• UnExiled Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    I agree... they could enforce it now. The fact that they don't has led to problems. Not enforcing it on this new thing will break it as well.
    Not having FastPass System at all would be even easier to enforce.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast