Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

• Jack of All Trades

Post Tom Staggs Talks About the Future of Visiting Disney Parks (NextGen)

This seems pretty cool!

Tom Staggs Talks About the Future of Visiting Disney Parks (NextGen)

In today's Investor Conference Tom Staggs talked about the Company's vision for the future of visiting Disney parks. Much of what he discussed is a part of the NextGen project Disney has been working on for some time (Note: Staggs did not use the term NextGen at all).

Below is a summary of what Staggs said:

In the coming years there will be a broad, integrated set of systems for a more seamless personalized experience and welcome more and more people while making their visits more satisfying. This will go beyond FastPass in effect developing a version of FastPass for their entire Disney vacation (which starts when they make their reservation). Guests will be able to reserve times for attractions and character interactions, seats for shows, dining reservations, etc booking many of these experiences before leaving their house. A simplified check-in will allow guests to arrive at their resort with room key in hand and go directly to their room or a park. There will also be new ways to pull guests into stories. For example, a tool will allow princesses to greet and interact with guests in an immersive and personalized way. Queues will continue to innovate to become a part of the show (Winnie the Pooh at Disney World being one example). They also will be creating means to better manage flow of guests in the parks as well as get better information into the hands of Cast. Disney is well into development on all of these with a number of patents pending.

(From OC Register...)

Disney guests to skip ride lines with new plan

Disney park visitors will be able to reserve times for rides and check into hotel rooms from home under a system that the company is developing, the parks’ chairman announced Thursday.

Tom Staggs, chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, announced the plan for visitors to avoid lines and personalize their vacations during a 25-minute presentation at Walt Disney Company’s 2011 Investor Conference at the Grand Californian Hotel in Anaheim.

Staggs gave no date for starting the new time-saving programs at Disney parks. But he said they were “well into development” and that patents were underway.

The new program would be like a Fastpass system for the whole vacation, Staggs said.

“Our new tools will help them better understand all that we have to offer and better plan their time with us,” Staggs said. “They’ll be able to create a personalized itinerary that gives them the exact Disney vacation they want.”

Visitors will be able to reserve times for attractions, character greetings, shows and meals. Hotel guests could arrive with their room keys in hand, avoiding check-in lines.

“They will be able to go straight to their room or a theme park … allowing them to get to the fun faster,” Staggs said.

Disney also plans to set up more personalized experiences, such as homes for each princess character to meet with visitors.

Activities and features would be added to queue areas, giving visitors the chance to play and explore while they wait for rides.

For example, Walt Disney World added play areas, including Rabbit’s garden and Eeyore’s house, to the entrance of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh ride in November. The line features are so popular that some children ask parents to skip the Fastpass system, Staggs said. Read more about Disney World’s Pooh ride features.

The Fastpass system, started in 1999, allows visitors to get tickets that list a time window when they can return to certain attractions in a shorter line.

Fastpasses are available at six Disneyland rides and four Disney California Adventure rides. Visitors also can get Fastpasses for times to watch the “World of Color” light-and-water show at California Adventure. See tips for using Disneyland Resort’s Fastpass system.

The new system is part of the Next Generation Experience, which the company has been developing, according to some blogs and publications. The Orlando Sentinel reports that Disney is spending about $1.5 billion on the experience, according to interviews with former company executives. Read the Orlando Sentinel’s story about the Disney park system.

“We see a real opportunity to further enhance and differentiate the Disney vacation experience,” Staggs told investors.
    "People of Earth, how are you?"

A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

"I am a nice shark, not a mindless eating machine. If I am to change this image, I must first change myself.
    Fish are friends, not food."

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

Re: Tom Staggs Talks About the Future of Visiting Disney Parks (NextGen)

wow
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

so the showpasses for WoC are part of this new system? Interesting

I'd really like to see some next gen queues eventually make their way to DLR but I suppose they are needed more at WDW.
    "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

It does sound cool, but what about the spontaneity and exploration that once defined the Disney experience? I'm all for shorter waits, but what about taking the time to suck in some detail between the 4:15 at Space Mt. and the 4:35 at BTMRR. Unless they can make it seamless with some time to look around and enjoy all that stuff they pay to put outside the attractions, this might leave something to be desired.

• We Go On.

I really like this! If it's how I'm interpereting this, people will be able to participate in these reservations, but don't have to at all if they don't want to. The only thing that will change for the stand-by guest is more even fastpass return on the other end, which shouldn't be harmful. It's bound to have some issues, sure, but once they perfect it I think it will be great.

• Banned User

Can they reserve me a time to visit Harry Potter?

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    It does sound cool, but what about the spontaneity and exploration that once defined the Disney experience?

There is nothing wrong with your vacation.
    Disney is controlling the horizontal.
    Disney is controlling the vertical.
    For your next vacation, sit quietly and Disney will control all that you see and hear.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Don't Mess With The Duck!

It does sound cool, but what about the spontaneity and exploration that once defined the Disney experience? I'm all for shorter waits, but what about taking the time to suck in some detail between the 4:15 at Space Mt. and the 4:35 at BTMRR. Unless they can make it seamless with some time to look around and enjoy all that stuff they pay to put outside the attractions, this might leave something to be desired.
    Nobody's forcing anybody to utilize the system. It's merely an option for people to use if they so choose to do so.

This, more or less, is exactly what I was going to say and better then how I would have said it.

It seems mixed and unclear. I can see what Trevor is getting at in the sense that one half of what is said seems to indicate that everything will turn into a reservation system (like what WDW does with dining).

Fortunately the next half seems to indicate smaller changes to things. Showpass for WoC/interactive queues.

Supposedly Disney is also working out a system that is like fastpass but not as flawed and abusable (I'm guessing it fixes the return time issue specifically).

Showpass while requiring a little bit more thought then what was there previously seems to work better for out of towners overall as they get a better shot at having a nice seat during a show.

Interactive queues also seem nice as that would just be further evolution of the themed queue (something they seemed to shy away from after fastpass was introduced).

I'm curious what they'll do next but I do think they understand that leeway for impulsive behavior is a necessity for a theme park trip.
    "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

It sounds.....ok....I mean can EVERYONE reserve things or just Hotel guests? Also at the end of the article it says "whether advance-planning by some guests could spoil the experience for those who do not pre-plan and arrive at a park only to find the most popular attractions already booked" to me this sounds like HM could be booked for hours for the general guests which sounds unfair to me if your paying 100 bucks for a ticket.

"Sorry kids, I know you want to do Space Mountain first but 3 months ago I was thinking we should start off with Small World. Whats that?! You want Splash Mountain too!? You should have mentioned that...I didn't book it. We could always go there on a whim, but we really don't have time, as we'll miss the rides we're already scheduled for."

I don't see this working.

• Minion FOREVER!

Not a fan of this except the more immersive queues.

Think about it... This means that:

* This will be like FP on EVERY RIDE, thereby making the stand-by lines longer on EVERY RIDE. (Read Kevin's articles on this if you don't believe me...)
    * This means that WDC will know exactly where you been/will be/know who you are at every character greeting (so Mickey says "Hi, Bobby" to your son) or every meal and the waiter knows what you would like to drink when you sit down. Yes, pretty cool.... except when some unsavory character gets their hands on it.
    * Completely do away w/ spontaneity (sp?) as other's have already mentioned.

I'm not sure if want to sacrifice my anonymity for that illusion of familiarity.

Kind of feels like bus tours of Europe. Everything is scheduled for you, there are perks, you don't have to think. Mona Lisa, check, Statue of David, check, Tower of London, check. Next...

Obviously, people don't have to use the system but many will and they just might miss out on the adventure that is finding your way around Disneyland on your own.

• Seasick

When I go to Walt Disney World, it's a big task just planning where I'm going to eat in advance. Now I have to plan when I'm going to see shows and go on attractions in advance as well?

When it comes to this "vaction fastpass" concept, there will be pros and cons, but my initial reaction is that this isn't really necesscary, and I'd rather they spend the money elsewhere.

It might make sense for something like the World of Color showpasses. If I'm planning to see the show, I don't have to spend that time getting a pass.

Will a lot of people pre-book World of Color because they might be going to DCA on an upcoming Friday night, and not necesscarily show up? Will people who buy a ticket the same day they visit have adequate access to Fastass? They say people don't like waiting in lines. Well duh, but unless they increase capacity, wait times aren't going anywhere. Lots of unanswered questions.

If you're aware of Fastpass, and use it effeciently, you can have an efficient, but still spontaneous, day in the parks. This all seems like...overkill.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast