Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Re: Carthay Circle Theatres Twitter Rumor?

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    and BOTH were closed, because DCA didn't need them, Playhouse Disney/Disney Jr sits where Soap Opera Bistro used to sit, right next door. And Hollywood and Dine was a HUGE dinning area that was transformed into the temporary Tron Arcade. And that STILL leave Award Wieners and Taste Pilot's Grill open and available as nearby restaurants (plus a food cart that barely needs to be open).
    Good point
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• Buena Vista St. & Red Car

^Well I do see your point there. I've always enjoyed being able to go, sit and enjoy really good food in a nice environment so I am a little biased towards a really nice, upscale restaurant but your point is a good one and very true. Just can't think of anything big that could be put in there realistically.

if they are going to put yet another restaurant in, fine, but it better be amazingly well themed. i'm a fan of something along the lines of the blue bayou, they certainly have enough "fast food"

• Infinitized!

It's extremely disappointing that the building that is suppose to be the new central icon of the NEW entry area does not feature some sort of new major attraction. With the extreme makeover of DCA, much of Paradise Pier is getting new items including Ariel. Radiator Springs will feature 3 new attractions, BUT the "new" Buena Vista Street only gets a Red Car for atmosphere, but LACKS a star attraction, for star building on the new street! A restaurant is just a ridiculous idea for a "theater".

It's really somewhat surprising, especially since the majority of the makeover has been in the right direction. Why can't they figure out something out for this new star building?????
    Would've been great as an entrance to a new, redesigned version of The Great Movie Ride.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

It's been talked about before, but there is plenty of room for something sizable around the Carthay. All the way back to Bug's Life Theater (now that the titanium sun and waterfall are out of there) all the way over to the Disney Junior Building - (now that the parade route is changing) Heck they could even Shut Down Disney Junior where it currently is (they could easily move that show over to the old Millionaire building) gut the space and use it and a large part of what used to be back stage, for a new attraction . THAT would give PLENTY of room for some dark ride or attraction to take you back to when Walt first arrived in California.

Animator's Palette from Disney Cruise Lines - anyone?

There is pent up demand for another Club 33 style restaurant (and they are no longer even taking names for the waiting list for Club 33 Membership) and with such a membership comes an initial membership fee and annual/monthly dues like a country club - Club 33 is a cash cow. I would assume that such a restaurant in the Carthay Circle is "low-hanging fruit" for TDA.........

• Dream in wonderful color!

There are TWO lare nearby areas that WERE restaurants, and BOTH were closed, because DCA didn't need them, Playhouse Disney/Disney Jr sits where Soap Opera Bistro used to sit, right next door. And Hollywood and Dine was a HUGE dinning area that was transformed into the temporary Tron Arcade. And that STILL leave Award Wieners and Taste Pilot's Grill open and available as nearby restaurants (plus a food cart that barely needs to be open). Another restaurant is too much thinking like what helped fail DCA at it's opening. Attractions is what DCA needs. And Buena Vista street STILL LACKS a BIG ticket attraction.
    Yes, it lacks a big ticket attraction - but does it really need it? I don't think so. The main entrance to the park doesn't need to feature a big E-Ticket ride..
    - Adventure Is Waiting -

"We're going to take you out of this world of reality for a visit to the most fantastic of all the worlds of fantasy." - Walt Disney

• All-American

I think they're really failing to take advantage of the building's potential as an icon either way.

I bet people will be disappointed to be drawn all the way to the theater to find out it's only a restaurant, even if it's one they could get into without a membership. When people are told an icon is a theater, or even see something labelled as a "theater" on a park map, won't they likely be disappointed when they find out it's instead a restaurant? To me a park icon needs at least one component that's available to everyone... even Cinderella Castle at WDW has gift shops and beautifully designed mosaics to entertain the people that can't eat at the Royal Table.

Here's my idea: surely the building can be made two stories, right? On the ground floor, have a small gallery about Walt Disney's time in Hollywood/the development of Snow White/whatever, ANYTHING that can be considered a public space and labelled as an attraction on the park map. Theme that gallery to the lobby of a movie theater, with chandeliers, movie posters (perhaps from movies made in Walt's lifetime), etc. Then from that room have an entry to a small theater playing a film about Walt Disney's life, maybe even the same one played at One Man's Dream at WDW. Seating doesn't need to be even half the size of Great Moments with Lincoln... just something that would allow the theater to technically fulfill its title as a theater.

Then here's the best part: From the ground floor gallery/theater lobby, have a staircase leading upstairs to a fine dining, table service restaurant. Maybe even have a CM dressed as a theater attendant in a private ticket booth in the lobby, who can deal with reservations. Have some windows that would allow grand views of Buena Vista Street, which would be much better than those same views would be from ground level.

So then you would have: an informative gallery and a relaxing theater honoring Walt Disney at ground level for the average guest, so they at least won't feel cheated when they arrive at the park icon. Then you have a fine dining restaurant on the upper floor, which would have a nicer atmosphere than it would at ground floor anyway. And the gallery could double its function by entertaining people waiting for their reservation upstairs.

• Senior Minion

I really like that idea MarkTwain, I agree with pretty much everything you said. I actually think there's a good chance that will be very close to what we end up with. I do think that there will be second floor space and I really don't think they'll just stick a restaurant in there without creating some kind of clever tie in to the history of the original theater.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• film975

Well, I am pretty sure something will go into the Carthay Circle Theater. I doubt they would spend all that time and money building it only to have nothing in it. Disney just hasn't announced what their plans are for it yet. Hopefully we will find out something at this year's D23 Expo.

• Refugee from a island

Quote Originally Posted by RiversOfAmerica View Post
    Oh, how I wish I could spill what information I have on the topic. Whether this will be an exclusive club or not is still in the discussion stages, and nothing has been decided. One thing that should be noted, though, is that there is very high demand for another Club33 type venue.

If anyone claims that it will indeed be an exclusive restaurant, they're simply engaging in rumor. I can tell you with certainty that no such thing has at this point been decided.
    I'm with you RoA, wish I could talk about what know, were you there on the 4th by chance?

And you quite correct, anyone claiming anything at this point is simply speculately.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by nonob88 View Post
    Yes, it lacks a big ticket attraction - but does it really need it? I don't think so. The main entrance to the park doesn't need to feature a big E-Ticket ride..
    I agree that a weenie doesn't belong at the entrance gates, BUT The Carthay is not at the entrance of DCA, that is the Red Car Line. Carthay is the weenie at the END of Buena Vista Street. And it's a let down to have a weenie NOT be an attraction of some sort.

This isn't the first time the wrong decisions have been made about weenies. TL'98 relocated and plopped it's weenie at the main entrance of that land - and it created an obstacle for traffic. Then the old weenie location became a nothing.

Now, with Carthay, it's really sad that they have shown once again that they forgot how weenies work.

As for a Club 33 type of venue in DCA, Carthay is simply the wrong location for that type of venue. This area is too valuable not to use for an attraction for all guests. A Club 33 location should be in a more remote area of the Park, an area that has a chance for a better view. What could work is something in San Franscisco Street. Or with Radiator Springs being built, there would be opportunity to build some 2nd floor restaurant facing the Cadillac Range. How about enlarging and enclosing the Wine Country Trattoria into a Club 33 Type location.
    Last edited by Aladdin; 02-20-2011 at 10:19 AM.

• Forgotten Spirit

Umm, I highly doubt I'm allowed to link the tweet.

If it's going to be a high-end restaurant, membership or not, it'll hopefully be more successful than Mondavi was. A good handful of Club 33 staff went over to Mondavi after management offered some enticements, including improving their seniority. After Mondavi closed, these folks had to go back to the Club. They not only lost their improved seniority at Mondavi, they had to go back to the bottom of the seniority list at the Club, too.

I'm guessing management won't be alluring Club staff over to DCA again.

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by MarkTwain View Post
    I think they're really failing to take advantage of the building's potential as an icon either way.

I bet people will be disappointed to be drawn all the way to the theater to find out it's only a restaurant, even if it's one they could get into without a membership. When people are told an icon is a theater, or even see something labelled as a "theater" on a park map, won't they likely be disappointed when they find out it's instead a restaurant? To me a park icon needs at least one component that's available to everyone... even Cinderella Castle at WDW has gift shops and beautifully designed mosaics to entertain the people that can't eat at the Royal Table.

Here's my idea: surely the building can be made two stories, right? On the ground floor, have a small gallery about Walt Disney's time in Hollywood/the development of Snow White/whatever, ANYTHING that can be considered a public space and labelled as an attraction on the park map. Theme that gallery to the lobby of a movie theater, with chandeliers, movie posters (perhaps from movies made in Walt's lifetime), etc. Then from that room have an entry to a small theater playing a film about Walt Disney's life, maybe even the same one played at One Man's Dream at WDW. Seating doesn't need to be even half the size of Great Moments with Lincoln... just something that would allow the theater to technically fulfill its title as a theater.

Then here's the best part: From the ground floor gallery/theater lobby, have a staircase leading upstairs to a fine dining, table service restaurant. Maybe even have a CM dressed as a theater attendant in a private ticket booth in the lobby, who can deal with reservations. Have some windows that would allow grand views of Buena Vista Street, which would be much better than those same views would be from ground level.

So then you would have: an informative gallery and a relaxing theater honoring Walt Disney at ground level for the average guest, so they at least won't feel cheated when they arrive at the park icon. Then you have a fine dining restaurant on the upper floor, which would have a nicer atmosphere than it would at ground floor anyway. And the gallery could double its function by entertaining people waiting for their reservation upstairs.
    Like it
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast