Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• X-S TECH Demonstrator

Re: Carthay Circle Theatres Twitter Rumor?

Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa View Post
    Would've been great as an entrance to a new, redesigned version of The Great Movie Ride.
    This. The Great Movie Ride was my favorite ride when I went to WDW and I would love for DL to have it's own version.

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheking View Post
    CaptainEO,ATIS: Have you ever heard that rumor that Elvis is alive, and well, and owns a bakery in Seattle? Yeah, that's total crap. Now if you where to tell me Michael Jackson was alive, and well, and owns a MiceChat account in Las Vegas, that I would believe!

• Minion

The theatre should be a theatre -- showing Walt Disney animation film and TV classics, One Man's Dream, Mickey's Philharmagic -- or something along those lines.

For a new exclusive themed restaurant or private club why not recreate the "Hat" version of The Brown Derby, which no longer exists (Disney has a license with the Brown Derby already for Florida) - - I'm sure that would be a popular theme for tourists and locals alike.

Forcing a restaurant into a theatre centerpiece will disappoint those looking for an attraction at this park icon.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEO,ATIS View Post
    This. The Great Movie Ride was my favorite ride when I went to WDW and I would love for DL to have it's own version.
    and you would have to take out the Disney Channel Live show.....talk about hitting two birds with one stone

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    It's extremely disappointing that the building that is suppose to be the new central icon of the NEW entry area does not feature some sort of new major attraction. With the extreme makeover of DCA, much of Paradise Pier is getting new items including Ariel. Radiator Springs will feature 3 new attractions, BUT the "new" Buena Vista Street only gets a Red Car for atmosphere, but LACKS a star attraction, for star building on the new street! A restaurant is just a ridiculous idea for a "theater".

It's really somewhat surprising, especially since the majority of the makeover has been in the right direction. Why can't they figure out something out for this new star building?????
    Realize that Main Street in Disneyland does not have a star attraction.

The entrance to parks is designed to pull them in. How can you pull them in when people are in line to go ride a ride?

Can't really rebuttal this because the Car systems on Main Street and the train are all means of still pulling guests to other areas of the park, and the cinema and Lincoln aren't big grabs either, but merely looked at as attractions that pass time.

The castle had a walk through, took it out, brought it back. And I know some troll is gonna go 'well why don't they add a walk through of snow white' or 'what about a walt disney story'?

Not really best here..Walt never wanted HIM in the parks. he wanted others to enjoy it. A restaurant that is hollywood/LA high end is a great choice to add, because 1) it will be in a very well themed area of the park. 2) how many GOOD dining options are there at the park right now? the wharf, Wine Country, and Ariels. Granted everyone has their preference, but the majority would more than likely speak of those three choices higher than any others. The park needs food. Why else would Radiator springs be getting the Cozy Cone, Fillmores, and Flo's as food areas, along with the Beer Garden/Paradise Grill?

Call it a bad choice, but logistically, this is the best idea that can work for the park.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^I think people are getting at that since the WHOLE street is a redo they could add a restaurant somewhere else, while this new "landmark" for the park could be used to tell a story or be a entrance/line area for a ride...instead of a restaurant which DCA has many of right now whether or not they are the best they have the Wharf area with 3 restaurants, the Garden Grill (2 restaurants and a near by Corn Dog stand) along with the Wine Country Trattoria, Ariel's Grotto, and that place in Condor Flats......seems to me that we have more restaurants than E ticket rides at the park sooo....for some of us we rather see an attraction over another over prices place to eat.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by MainStreetJake View Post
    Realize that Main Street in Disneyland does not have a star attraction.

The entrance to parks is designed to pull them in. How can you pull them in when people are in line to go ride a ride?

Can't really rebuttal this because the Car systems on Main Street and the train are all means of still pulling guests to other areas of the park, and the cinema and Lincoln aren't big grabs either, but merely looked at as attractions that pass time.

The castle had a walk through, took it out, brought it back. And I know some troll is gonna go 'well why don't they add a walk through of snow white' or 'what about a walt disney story'?

Not really best here..Walt never wanted HIM in the parks. he wanted others to enjoy it. A restaurant that is hollywood/LA high end is a great choice to add, because 1) it will be in a very well themed area of the park. 2) how many GOOD dining options are there at the park right now? the wharf, Wine Country, and Ariels. Granted everyone has their preference, but the majority would more than likely speak of those three choices higher than any others. The park needs food. Why else would Radiator springs be getting the Cozy Cone, Fillmores, and Flo's as food areas, along with the Beer Garden/Paradise Grill?

Call it a bad choice, but logistically, this is the best idea that can work for the park.
    At this point, Buena Vista Street doesn't even offer something on the scale of Lincoln or the mini version of the DL Story or the Main Street Disney Gallery.

I like the idea of the Red Car Trolley adding to the atmosphere of the new street, and HOPEFULLY more atmosphere and atmosphere entertainment will be added to Buena Vista Street. But other than the stores, and the Ice Cream Parlor, does still need that indoor attraction.

Not sure why you are calling people who are suggesting or supporting something like a "Snow White Walk Thru", or a new "Walt Disney Story" trolls. Especially since some notables within Disney have said that a new "Walt Disney Story" was one of the ideas under consideration for the building.

Personally, I would still like something more than a movie of an exhibit for that theater. Perhaps something that would even include the Alice Comedies and Oswald would be interesting.

And not sure I understand your argument about Walt not wanting himself in DL. That bridge has already been crossed a couple time. In the early 70's The Walt Disney Story opened in the Opera House. And in the early 90's the Partner's Statue was placed at the center of DL. And it quickly became one of DL's most iconic features. Many were quite intrigued by idea and the concept art of a younger Walt and Mickey Statue on DCA's Buena Vista street. It would be quite a remarkable and sentimental link tying DL and DCA together.

And if you read though my post, you will see that I didn't disagree with the idea of a "Club 33" type restaurant in DCA, but instead suggested that such a restaurant could be offered further inside DCA. This type of restaurant would need have great view of certain parts of DCA, to enhance it's atmosphere. It would have been nice to have designed it on a 2nd level of Ariels new ride building, so that it would have a vantage point for World of Color. That option may not be available anymore, but certainly there must be room for a 2nd floor restaurant with a great vantage point of the Cadillac Range hidden on a 2nd level of Radiator Springs. Purposely design a specific area in that can enjoy a unique view of DCA, without drawing attention to itself. A club 33 style restaurant in the Carthay just couldn't do that.

• DLR Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    It's extremely disappointing that the building that is suppose to be the new central icon of the NEW entry area does not feature some sort of new major attraction. With the extreme makeover of DCA, much of Paradise Pier is getting new items including Ariel. Radiator Springs will feature 3 new attractions, BUT the "new" Buena Vista Street only gets a Red Car for atmosphere, but LACKS a star attraction, for star building on the new street! A restaurant is just a ridiculous idea for a "theater".
    Buena Vista Street isn't intended to be a land. Think of DL's Main Street. It doesn't haven an icon attraction either (no offense to Mr Lincoln). Now, if you're thinking "hey, what about DL's Castle? It's got an attraction", don't forget that Sleeping Beauty Castle sat empty for its first two years (until the first version of the diorama was opened).

Also, the distance from the turnstile to the end of BV Street is very short. You can't exactly install a full-cledged attraction in it.

Now, in regards to a restaurant, one thing that's going almost unspoken is that, regardless of what goes into the Carthay Circle Theater, there WILL be a restaurant on Buena Vista Street. If you look at the most recent drawings, you'll see a new restaurant near the stop for the Red Car Trolley. It resembles the Brown Derby architecture in Orlando, but, to date, no decision has been made exactly what type of eatery will occupy that space.

Lastly, rumors of an exclusive club in the Carthay Circle are, at this point, just rumors, as nothing design-wise has been in development. Everyone is assuming that an exclusive club would preclude the any use for general guest space. That's a HUUUUGE assumption.
    Last edited by RiversOfAmerica; 02-21-2011 at 09:51 PM.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^Main Street is not a land???? I always thought of it as one...heck I like to better than the current Tommorrowland and ToonTown....also the castle opened before the movie was out so it make sense they waited for the movie before adding anything in it.....

This on the other had was going to have something and now that is scrapped for nothing. I will be happy with the street ethier way but I rather they do something good with the building than nothing, if I had a chose.

• DLR Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    the castle opened before the movie was out so it make sense they waited for the movie before adding anything in it...
    Er, um sort of. Walt originally called it Snow White's Castle. Imagineers changed the name of it to Sleeping beauty Castle to promote the film. When DL opened, they hadn't yet thought of putting in the diorama. That idea came up after DL opened, and the artists returned to workign on Sleeping Beauty.

The next time people complain about today's Disney parks being a cheap marketing tool, they need to remember that tidbit of information.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^to me it was a "Gamble" I mean a Poster can be removed but to put a castle in to promote a movie is a hell of a reason for me to go see a movie.

Back on topic...lets just hope they put an attraction in the building over a restaurant since they have other places on the street to put a nice place to eat but only one new Logo being added to the park.

I agree with RiversOfAmerica to an extent, does Buena Vista Street need a E ticket attraction? Though I do see Main Street USA as a land, the main idea is to ease guests into the park experience (and have merchandise everywhere but that's a different story). I believe the theater should hold Old Disney shorts, maybe even some with Oswald, along with hold a Walt Disney's history/story movie-like thing.
    "I do what I likes, and I suits me"

• film975

Not true! The very first Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough opened in 1957... two years before the movie even came out. Sleeping Beauty Castle has had that name since opening day of the park... so that's four years before the movie even opened (but the movie was in development at the time).

I would like to see some kind of exhibit go into the Carthay Circle theater. I would be satisifed with a new blue sky cellar exhibit go in there... and some kind of tribute to Walt in there as well. Maybe a walkthrough attraction similar to Sleeping Beauty's would be cool.

• Banned User

Agree with others! A restaurant is fine, but a exhibit of some kind would be cool. Wish the resaurant can be on the 2nd floor and a exhibit on the 1st. But maybe they dont have the room for both.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by RiversOfAmerica View Post
    Buena Vista Street isn't intended to be a land. Think of DL's Main Street. It doesn't haven an icon attraction either (no offense to Mr Lincoln). Now, if you're thinking "hey, what about DL's Castle? It's got an attraction", don't forget that Sleeping Beauty Castle sat empty for its first two years (until the first version of the diorama was opened).

Also, the distance from the turnstile to the end of BV Street is very short. You can't exactly install a full-cledged attraction in it.

Now, in regards to a restaurant, one thing that's going almost unspoken is that, regardless of what goes into the Carthay Circle Theater, there WILL be a restaurant on Buena Vista Street. If you look at the most recent drawings, you'll see a new restaurant near the stop for the Red Car Trolley. It resembles the Brown Derby architecture in Orlando, but, to date, no decision has been made exactly what type of eatery will occupy that space.

Lastly, rumors of an exclusive club in the Carthay Circle are, at this point, just rumors, as nothing design-wise has been in development. Everyone is assuming that an exclusive club would preclude the any use for general guest space. That's a HUUUUGE assumption.
    First of all, most of the points you are making are rather superfluous, about what the Carthay should be. What the Carthay is, IS the main focus of Buena Vista Street. And for that reason alone, it really does demand some sort of major attraction. To redo the entire entry area, and even Focus the attention on one particular building, and not do anything with it, or turn it's main focus to be a restaurant just is NOT what we have come to expect from Disney. It's the ATTRACTIONS that draw people to the parks, and that are to be the main focus. To switch that basic premise around is to change what Disney Parks represent. Yes, food should be done well, BUT the attraction is what is primarily important. Think of it this way - What is more important, the Pirates of the Carribean attraction or the Blue Bayou. They are both important, BUT PotC attraction is the focus.

QUOTE: "Buena Vista Street isn't intended to be a land. Think of DL's Main Street. It doesn't haven an icon attraction either (no offense to Mr Lincoln). Now, if you're thinking "hey, what about DL's Castle? It's got an attraction", don't forget that Sleeping Beauty Castle sat empty for its first two years (until the first version of the diorama was opened)."

So, I've addressed your "land" arguement already, Buena Vista is becoming part of Hollywood. But whether it is or isn't, the point is moot, regarding what should be done with the Carthay. You don't even argue the point, either, as you just wave off Lincoln. You just can't wave off that attraction. Nor can you wave off The Main Street Cineman, with Mickey's shorts playing. Nor can you wave off all the Main Street Vehicles, The Disney Gallery, and the Main operating station for The Disneyland Railroad. Then there is the live entertainment with the Piano Player on Coke Corner, and the Dapper Dan's. Buena Vista Street should do as much as it can with the space it has, and that includes the area around and including the Carthay.

The Castle is really more a part of Fantasyland, not so much Main Street. BUT that is a difference between DCA and DL, the end of Buena Vista street, that you can see from the entrance, will be the Carthay. With the main stretch of DCA laid out kitty-whompus, it's not really the end of the road, BUT that focus does demand something important for that prime location. Another important thing is with the major re-do, something is big is expected in the Carthay because of how big the entire makeover of DCA is. At the grand opening of the new street, not having an attraction in the Main Building, would be like building the Cadillac Range and the Little Mermaid building and leaving the show building empty. And this won't be just any grand opening, THIS is the BIGGEST change out of ANY Disney Park entrance in the history of Disney. THAT alone means that what is on this new street be done right, without anything being undone. After all, it's not just two years since DCA opened, it will be at least ELEVEN years that they have had a chance to get it right.

I've already explained that there is a LOT of room in that area for a large attraction in that area, just read my previous post.

The current train area, next to the Toy shop, does have a place for Ice Cream, beverages, and limited sandwiches, and an outdoor eating area, so yes it would be very possible to have some limited counter service in that area after the remodel. BUT that just means that an additional eating establishment in the Carthay is even less necessary.

• Artistic integrity

After reading Al's latest update .... I'm more convinced another restaurant is a bad idea. Wasn't this the main trouble behind DCA 1.0? Too many restaurants?? How is this an "overall improvement" to a park where they are trying to improve it, over what it was before ???? Oh gee .. lets add another one .. with the 2nd floor "Club33-South" - brilliant!

Gag!

A recreation of a famous LA Movie Theater where Snow White premiered will be a restaurant.

Once again .... DCA 1.0 layout a hindrance to the potential of DCA 2.0!

With 3D movies so common .... "It's tough to be a bug" ought to get chucked ... and that building should be absorbed into the Carthay building site ... and be a new and improved version to The Great Movie Ride.

Not a direct clone ... but a variation of the WDW attraction.

A restaurant is lame.
    Another place for more movie watching in DCA is really the last thing it needs ... That's why it should be something more special .. like a ride that takes you INTO a movie ... or Movie-Making.

I thought the original idea of "The Walt Disney Story" ... version 2 .. would have been more appropriate. Given the amount of space the building is only going to have.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast