Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

DL: Not a babysitting service!

With Black Friday looming on the horizon I would like to just let people know that Disneyland is not a babysitting service. Hire a real babysitter or have a close relative watch your kids. It is not fair to CMs or the other guests. This holds true for arcades, movie theaters, libraries, etc.

Thanks
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Minion

Re: DL: Not a babysitting service!

I think that there would be parents that would have some common sense regarding the matter. Man I wish I was living in California and left at Disneyland for a day...
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• Long live the Fire Lord

You would think that, unless you've been to the park or worked there. Then you would know some parents just don't have common sense. I've seen way too many kids, of all ages, dumped at the park or in Downtown Disney. We need to make this one of those "The more you know" commercials on TV
    "What single word is the name of a magazine, a cereal, a board game, and a never-ending series of soul-crushing disappointments which slowly leech away your hope and idealism until you are nothing more than a bitter husk of a man?"

• no flash photography...

There's no reason teens can't be left to spend a day in the park. Granted I'm always there with my child, but I'm not always with her at all times. Now if we are speaking of pre-teens or younger...yeah i agree..

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe
    There's no reason teens can't be left to spend a day in the park. Granted I'm always there with my child, but I'm not always with her at all times. Now if we are speaking of pre-teens or younger...yeah i agree..
    OMG! Teens are the ones who need the most supervision!

Think of all the vandalism you see in the park. Think of which age range the perp most likely was - 6, 16, or 26?

I think anyone under 18 should be within arm's reach of a parent or guardian at all times in the park. We never had this drop off babysitting service when I was your age - we had a BRICK, and we LIKED it!

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe
    Perhaps; I think the question to ask is "would I leave this child at home alone for a similar durration?"....If the answer is "yes" then it may be ok to drop him/her off at the Park. However, if the answer is anything less then "yes" if one is relying on Disney to "watch" ones children then I think that person is a tad irresponsible.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo
    OMG! Teens are the ones who need the most supervision!

Think of all the vandalism you see in the park. Think of which age range the perp most likely was - 6, 16, or 26?

I think anyone under 18 should be within arm's reach of a parent or guardian at all times in the park. We never had this drop off babysitting service when I was your age - we had a BRICK, and we LIKED it!

Don't lump teens into one category. I've been going to the park about every week since I was 16 and my mother is alright with it. She's not the one dropping me off anyway since I've had my own car for two years now.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleWings
    Don't lump teens into one category. I've been going to the park about every week since I was 16 and my mother is alright with it. She's not the one dropping me off anyway since I've had my own car for two years now.
    I agree not all teens vandelize. i see more adults being distructive than teens...

• Minion

YA RLY. Not all teens are vandals...
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

Frankly, Jeff. It’s none of your business if I leave my kids there are not. I don’t have teenagers, but if I did and they were good kids (like most teens) I would definitely let them spend the day there while we shopped. AP or not.

Maybe YOU think they are acting up, but at the end of the day most teens are just having fun with their friends. That’s what Disneyland is all about. And the ones that are roudy will be taken care of by the DL staff.

If you can’t stand the site of teenagers (GASP!) having fun at Disneyland, then maybe Disneyland is not the place for you.

• Down Pluto!

Don't lump teens into one category
    I agree not all teens vandelize. i see more adults being distructive than teens...
    YA RLY. Not all teens are vandals...

Though it seems you are all too young to have seen SNL's Grumpy Old Man played by Dana Carvey...

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo
    Though it seems you are all too young to have seen SNL's Grumpy Old Man played by Dana Carvey...
    probably not to young, since I have a soon to be 15 year old...I probably just haven't seen it...I was not into SNL as a teen. I must have been to busy partying and being rowdy and obnoxious annoying everyone around me...NOT!..I don't really watch iSNL now either. Now I'm just a rowdy annoying adult...LOL

• Down Pluto!

Point taken...

I suppose when one has to explain the funny - is not.

• șoș Tom șoș

Perhaps the criteria should be...if you can drive yourself to the park then you are old enough (in theory) to enjoy the park unsupervised. I do however happen to agree that Disneyland is not supstitute for spending time with children. Disney is a very safe place but it could also be the source of the next Amber alert.

I understand the grueling task of balancing work and family life and that perhaps the line of thinking is that...if I can't be there for my child perhaps my gift of an AP for my son or daughter, a new Xbox 360 or an Ipod will keep him or her out of trouble so I can continue to support them. I happen to think any substitution for family time is always going to pail in comparision to a day with mommy and or daddy.

So all I am suggesting is this, rather then spend 200 or 300 on a pass, game system, tv, music player- for one child or a few kids- split the money and buy tickets and spend one day a year making memories in the park and enjoy the time spent as a family.

• Dont make me unfriend you

It was a different time then (late 80's-early 70's) but my family would "split up" while at DL. My older sister, me and my younger brother (my younger brother was 8-10, my sister and I were teenagers) would go off by together while my parents and three youngest brother and sisters would go off together. We would meet every four or five hours, to make sure the older kids were ok, eat meals together, then split up again. So, we were not "dropped off" at DL, my parents were in the park, but not with us. We never had any problems or caused trouble.

With a large family (6 kids) and wide range of ages, it was hard to do stuff that "everybody" wanted to to. Little kids wanted the "kiddie" rides with the teenagers wanted the thrill rides. It was easier to divide up.

I have some very fond memories of spending time with my sister and brother at the park.

Now that I'm a parent and times are changing, I'm not sure if we will do the same thing when our kids are older. My oldest is only 8, so I don't have to decide that one yet.

Guess I'm saying that I don't see anything wrong with teenagers alone at DL or taking their (somewhat) young brothers and sisters with them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast