When Will DLR See NextGen Queues?

I was looking at the WDW update to day and realized that their Haunted Mansion is now getting an interactive queue?

So they'll have four now? (Pooh/Space/Mansion/Soarin) and a fifth with Dumbo if I'm not mistaken?

This nextgen deal is supposed to be a multiresort project though so I'm real curious when it will start spreading to other resorts around the world? (though WDW does clearly need the program the most).

Seems like many attractions in the DLR either won't need such a queue or have no real room to impliment them. Which attractions would be most likely to receive an interactive queue?

Seems like the most obvious choice would be Space Mountain since the standby line for it is probably the most boring. I haven't been in that part of the line for a while but I have to question weather a view of the mountain and over Tomorrowland is really entertaining with the current workings of the park. Might be better to enclose at least part of this area and I'm assuming it'd be easy to copy the game that WDW has in its line (I think they ought to do this for the standby wait as its both boring and long).

Otherwise I'd nominate Screamin for a queue as its line is fairly bland and it might work to get some of that nexgen money added to it along with whatever phase II investment the ride needs.

I also feel the need to add the outdoor queue to Soarin to the last if only because bland outdoor switchbacks annoy me beyond belief (once again I always FP Soarin so I don't really know what its like to stand in that line). It might also be nice if Soarin could get that virtual sky tech that was rumored to have been cut from the original queue of the attraction.

Outside of that I'm not sure what other lines would be compatible with such a structure. Will Star Tours or Carsland see any elements included?
    "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Re: When Will DLR See NextGen Queues?

Not sure about this. Are we really that anti social that we need to have things to do in line? And if we are, don't most people have a phone (w/game apps) or a hand held game system?
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Luigi's flying tires is supposed to have a fun queue.

• Minion

How about this idea:

Instead of wasting money of touch screens, why don't they just use to money to build detailed, immersive, and entertaining queues full of details to look at and a backstory to learn and be apart of?

How about some real, Walt-era Imagineering?

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    How about this idea:

Instead of wasting money of touch screens, why don't they just use to money to build detailed, immersive, and entertaining queues full of details to look at and a backstory to learn and be apart of?
    Exactly
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

^ How bout some real modern day imagineering? Winnie the Pooh has proven that they have the capacity. This idea of "Walt era imagineering" is a little overblown in my opinion (in terms of queues of course) frankly the best queues have been made recently such as Expedition Everest, Indy or Tower of Terror. Queues like Pirates or the Subs show that the queue was not a priority back then. (Though the Haunted Mansion is an exception).
    Armchair Imagineering!:

The Grand Cinema Journey? (Name ideas welcome)

Concept Map! (Thread to follow)
    Grizzly Peak Mining District

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Quote Originally Posted by MistaDee View Post
    ^ How bout some real modern day imagineering? Winnie the Pooh has proven that they have the capacity. This idea of "Walt era imagineering" is a little overblown in my opinion (in terms of queues of course) frankly the best queues have been made recenutly such as Expedition Everest, Indy or Tower of Terror. Queues like Pirates or the Subs show that the queue was not a priority back then. (Though the Haunted Mansion is an exception).
    Your correct, it wasn't a priority, making a quality attraction was. However, there is no doubt in my mind that had the budget been available, Walt would have capitalized on it even more so than we see today.
    Last edited by Seawolf; 02-21-2011 at 07:04 PM.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MistaDee View Post
    ^ How bout some real modern day imagineering? Winnie the Pooh has proven that they have the capacity. This idea of "Walt era imagineering" is a little overblown in my opinion (in terms of queues of course) frankly the best queues have been made recently such as Expedition Everest, Indy or Tower of Terror. Queues like Pirates or the Subs show that the queue was not a priority back then. (Though the Haunted Mansion is an exception).
    You are 100% right. The queues were not a priority, but the attractions were. But, if they were to create excellent quality attractions today, an immersive and detailed queue is extremely important to set up the backstory for the attraction.

I am really looking forward to TLM and the rest of Carsland, and I do think they will be great attractions. But, I think they could make them even better if the queues were immersive and detailed, in which I hope they will be.

Quote Originally Posted by DLFreak71 View Post
    Not sure about this. Are we really that anti social that we need to have things to do in line? And if we are, don't most people have a phone (w/game apps) or a hand held game system?
    I thought some of the ideas were more social. While I'm fine talking with my group in line most of the day I do believe that some waits were you end up standing for too long warrent a distraction of some sort. I'd also argue that large mostly pointless interactive entertainment in the line would often be a community type event in itself since it would be something EVERYONE would see as opposed to something on a tiny phone screen.

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    How about this idea:

How about some real, Walt-era Imagineering?
    I love big immersive queues and definitely want to see more of them (probably why I included the sky idea in Soarin even though it'd only be tangentially related to an interactive queue installation). I don't see why interactive has to be something seperate from detailed or immersive.

From what I've seen of the Pooh queue in particular it seems like that queue now serves as a wonderful themed lead in to the ride and helps parents with children of that age range stand in a line they might otherwise have issues standing in (interesting that the parents don't really get an interactive element that they can touch until nearing the end of the line).

Technically elements in the Indy queue are interactive granted they arn't overblown to be a full on game the way the newer stuff is.

I'd also note that I recommended queues (and specific parts of queues) were the wait is mostly bland horrible switchbacks with no real themeing or backstory at all. Especially in the era of fastpass there are many queues were people who wait standby end up standing in the blandest areas possible without much motion. So I understand were Disney would want to make those areas at least somewhat entertaining.

Community entertainment seems to be the way to go too since Roger Rabbit has a great line that actually includes the rides entire backstory in it, the problem being that now that Fastpass has disrupted flow of the line people tend to just get bored and talk over almost all the dialog (which now sometimes repeats as you arn't passing the scenery at the origionally intended rate). Thus the queue feels a bit cramped and claustrophobic at points.

If there's some secret entertaining deal about Space Mountain's queue in California please tell me cause last time I waited without fastpass was in the 90's before Fastpass was around much at all and the Rocket Rods were zipping around everywhere. Tomorrowland was teaming with movement but the outdoor segment was still annoying to stand in. I can't imagine what that area is like now with nothing on the tracks or platform... standing mostly still waiting for fastpass? Guess you got a painted landing strip to look at though...

So Far I'd say with the exception of perhaps Mansion, WDW has used interactive queues to dress up their more boring/painful waiting areas. I guess you can argue that WDW's Space Mountain has always had a better queue then ours though.

If done right and not overly exploited I think a few interactive queues could greatly increase guest feedback in DLR.

Quote Originally Posted by Theflyingtire View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Luigi's flying tires is supposed to have a fun queue.
    I think I might've heard that too and forgot that seems like it'd be a great choice as I'm betting the lines for Flying Tires end up being pretty long because of the unique ride type.

If Flying Tires has an interactive queue and Racers has an immersive one then Carsland might have the best of both worlds
    "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"