Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

• Senior Minion

Re: Why Some Disney Fans Don't like the last 15 years of the Parks?

^ Exactly.

IMO not only is the OP on target, but especially this post as well:

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway Guru View Post
    ...Synergy slowly but surely transformed the company's main mission into marketing itself, creating a continuous feedback loop of which DL was only one part.

When the main objective is marketing, all other priorities change. There's less room for originality in attraction design. Lands that were intended to be real places become mere backdrops on which to hang the current marketing message. Suspension of disbelief is discouraged, since losing oneself too much in the environment might distract from the "real" message of marketing. The house is papered w/ cheap AP's to encourage people to view the message over and over again.

In short, the park no longer exists for its own sake; it's just one more vehicle Disney uses to promote its filmed product. That, more than anything else, is the real tragedy of the last 15 years.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    No, Pixar attractions are attacked for being in the theme parks because some feel the attractions are unimaginative and uncreative, if not dullass boring.
    The attractions themselves could be better, but I haven't heard anyone cry about the quality of the attractions. They are crying about a so-called "Pixar-land" has invaded DCA. That's all I've heard. You said something new. For the first time, I heard this.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway Guru View Post
    This vision narrowly limits the parks' appeal to people who like the particular movies Disney chooses to promote. The idea of a Route 66 area is appealing to many people: car enthusiasts, baby boomers, history buffs, or just people who like road trips. Carsland appeals to people who like the movie "Cars."

Let's look at this another way. What if the shoe was on the other foot and Disney Studios was forced to make only movies that were based on an existing ride at a Disney park?
    The audience for Carsland is broader than Route 66. I'm a car buff as anyone else, but when I heard DCA has a Route 66, I said "HUH?". The only people who care about Route 66 is over 80 years old or historians.

I never heard much about Route 66 except when Huell Howser has his PBS California's Gold reports or I read it on AAA Auto Club magazine. Who actually drives on it? I never encounter it on the road because it is replaced with the 10 freeway or bypassed.

The DCA makeover takes Route 66 out of Paradise Pier and adds Carsland. I see it as improvement. Why? Route 66 was merely signs. Carsland has "cars" for car buffs, terrain, roads... these are things that will appeal to people who like cars. It has gas stations, diners, roads, while Route 66 has signs. The signs are removed.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    The attractions themselves could be better, but I haven't heard anyone cry about the quality of the attractions. They are crying about a so-called "Pixar-land" has invaded DCA. That's all I've heard. You said something new. For the first time, I heard this.
    The main complaint of DL oldtimers like myself isn't that new DL attractions and upgrades are movie-based, but that literally nothing original is being greenlit. (Although to be fair, the movie/original criticism has been directed more at DL than at DCA.)

And it's not just directed at Pixar -- IIRC there've also been a number of posts in the last couple years criticizing not just Pixar-based attractions, but Disney-based attractions as well for being out-of-theme, uninspired or unimaginatively talking down to the audience (e.g. Nemo, Tarzan, Pooh).

IMO Broadway Guru's post above summarizes the issue better than I ever could. Disney's corporate retreat from the level of innovation that made Disneyland famous "back in the day" is just a symptom -- his posts nail the underlying cause.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Down with the Tide View Post
    What about parts of Tokyo Disney Sea, Expedition Everest, and the rest of Animal Kingdom.
    EE is the exception to the rule; however, Animal Kingdom was based on already successful concepts at SeaWorld and Bush Gardens.

One can even argue the park is part of the larger strategy to keep guests on the corporate properties as much as humanly possible, given their transport system from the Orlando airport to the motels. Why rent a car? Why go to Tampa, or anywhere else? We have everything you want to see or do all in one spot, and you can just give us all your vacation money.

i think the only reason people like jungle cruse is because of the skippers, take the skippers out and you would have one of the worst rides ever created. and also im pretty sure jungle cruse is based off African queen...just sayin

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^I guess...most of the jokes are miss...I mean....some of the jokes are funny.....
    I like the environment the jungle changes soooo much...on minute you are in Africa next some where near Asia....it could use some improvements but I would never want that ride to leave if they could just update it every once in a while

• DisneyBounder

I agree that the attraction “originality” has gone down the drain within the past 10 years. Even my last visit to Epcot, one of the most unique Disney theme parks, has been bombarded with movie-based attractions. Unfortunately, Disney is now catering to what the general public wants. “We want characters!” The public demands to see familiar characters all the time to please a new generation of un-imaginative children. It’s really sad actually. Everything now days have to be so direct and simple to please people. The new generation does not understand the concept of Spaceship Earth or why there is no Jack Sparrow in Pirates of the Caribbean. The ride is based on the movie, right? In my opinion, it’s the “dumbing down of America.” People just want simplicity.

JC may be based off of African Queen in the idea of a jungle boat trekking through the...jungle. After that, there are absolutely no connections.

I agree that the attraction “originality” has gone down the drain within the past 10 years. Even my last visit to Epcot, one of the most unique Disney theme parks, has been bombarded with movie-based attractions. Unfortunately, Disney is now catering to what the general public wants. “We want characters!” The public demands to see familiar characters all the time to please a new generation of un-imaginative children. It’s really sad actually. Everything now days have to be so direct and simple to please people. The new generation does not understand the concept of Spaceship Earth or why there is no Jack Sparrow in Pirates of the Caribbean. The ride is based on the movie, right? In my opinion, it’s the “dumbing down of America.” People just want simplicity.
    so you're saying "kids theses days" are stupid because they question why theres no captain jack sparrow on pirates on the Caribbean?? And at epcot lion king, nemo, and the three caballeros are to much for you to handle ?? Also how do you know that kids dont understand spaceship earth....
    Last edited by DreamImagineCreate; 02-23-2011 at 04:12 PM.

• You're late for TEAAA!!!!

Create an original ride, similar to the theme of any movie, (let's say an underwater sea dark ride) and the kids will just go "why not just make it a Little Mermaid ride?" And honestly, I'd feel the same. I don't care what Disney does or what property is connected to it, as long as it's a good ride. People complain about stuff like BLAB, but honestly, in comparison to other theme parks in SoCal, it's an AWESOME ride. Compare that to anything at Knotts and it wins over everything except maybe 2 or 3 rides. I don't complain about any of the rides in general but if something can be plussed, then plus it. For example, I will never ride the Casey Jr. train ever again in my life as it's so incredibly boring. For a ride with a movie theme, it sure makes me want to go to sleep.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DreamImagineCreate View Post
    so you're saying "kids theses days" are stupid because they question why theres no captain jack sparrow on pirates on the Caribbean?? And at epcot lion king, nemo, and the three caballeros are to much for you to handle ?? Also how do you know that kids dont understand spaceship earth....

I have been on the ride with the three caballeros and it just seemed....very out of place your on this relaxing boast ride while Donald is running around screaming and getting angry.....Welcome to Mexico????

I Nemo in friends worked for me more than the subs did (its a much...much shorter ride in a good way)

Not all rides based off movies are bad...but I'm on a message boards where people post idea's WAY better than most the stuff we have been getting...to me that's sad...Disney should be making rides that we say WOW that's amazing not...cheap Monsters Inc rides and Pooh Clones that don't even hold a candle to the original.

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by DreamImagineCreate View Post
    Sadly' yes we are currently breeding one of the dumbest generations in history.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^lol
    But I love Triangles at the end of my Disney Rides

Talking Re: Why Some Disney Fans Don't like the last 15 years of the Parks?

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceMtnAlum94 View Post
    Oh, yes. Let's change the name of Disneyland to "Disney's Movieland." Where just like Universal Studios, everything is tied to a movie. Nothing else matters, except the synergy of movie, attraction, and merchandise. I'm feeling a thrill go up my leg just thinking about it. I can't wait to see which land will next house a Pixar Movie theme ride telling the exact story that was in the movie. Oh, the thrill. The themes and atmosphere of the different lands don't mean much anyway. They certainly didn't set Disneyland apart from other amusement parks. Better to just do away with them, so we can just put whatever movie ride we want in there.

I sure hope they make Tomorrowland into Star Wars land that would be the coolest. Outstanding! I hope they put the Pixar Snowman in the Matterhorn right away. I just can't stand another moment without him there. And let's theme Space Mountain to be a Tron attraction. They could set up the grid right on the cieling of Space Mountain. How Radical! I don't think Cars characters should be limited to just Cars Land, I think we could station Cars all around Big Thunder Mountain as well. Afterall, radiator springs sort of looks like Big Thunder. People will love it. Let's get rid of the rockets and we can do an Up balloon ride in its place. Fantastic. And let's do the Pirates right. There is a ton of stuff in there that has nothing to do with the movie. Hurry, Let's close it down and do the ride correctly. It should tell the story of Jack Sparrow. And it needs more than just an image of Davey Jones. The whole crew should be in there is what I say. Rivers of America is tired and old. Let's create a Lagoon for Fantasmic and Let's fill in the back side of the river and fill it with new attractions dedicated to Pixar, George Lucas, Steven Spielber, the Muppets, and any other creator that isn't employed by Disney. Hey let's do an ET ride back there. ET played around in a forest for part of the movie, that would fit. Or maybe we could make it into a Wookie Village. I am channeling something here.

There are so many great ideas, I just can't wait for the Disney Executives to do them all. Disneyland is tired and old, let's make it good again.

SMA94
    Geez, why don't you tell us how you really feel...?

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast