Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Still wants to be a cat!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DISNEYLAND.....not much more said!
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• Santa Barbara, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Minion
    It is but only a tiny percentage. It's mostly owned by the Oriental Land Co.

Anyone know what the percentages are ?

As far as I know, the WDC does not own any of TDR, but rather gets a on site management and licencing fee and 5 % on WDC merchandise. This is like 100m bucks for TDL a year, clear. It's in the annual reports.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Orville
    As far as I know, the WDC does not own any of TDR, but rather gets a on site management and licencing fee and 5 % on WDC merchandise. This is like 100m bucks for TDL a year, clear. It's in the annual reports.
    Disney also requires OLC to make sure the Disney name is not tarnished by this arrangement. Disney does not require itself to do such things, though.

BTW: it's "Cast Member Matt." Please make a note of it.

I'm really surprised to hear that anyone from WDW has suggested they "hate" Disneyland. I grew up with WDW and I LOVE Disneyland, as do all of my friends.

Also, I think everyone should keep in mind that WDW is getting more new attactions than DL because WDW is paying for them. DL is short on cash because DCA has been underperforming for the past 4 years. DL has to show a reasonable profit and can't afford to invest in new attactions at the same rate as WDW. It's not about corporate preference, its about economics. Each business unit is run separately (to some extent) and needs to make decisions about how to re-invest their funds.

• Rock Star Minion

As I wrote on another board, people should differ their expectations based on the park they're visiting. Expecting the same experience from two very different vacations destinations is not a wise idea.
    I just answered some 30 questions from a WDW'er planning a two-week vacation to DLr

• I like Cheese...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Eggz
    I'm really surprised to hear that anyone from WDW has suggested they "hate" Disneyland. I grew up with WDW and I LOVE Disneyland, as do all of my friends.

Also, I think everyone should keep in mind that WDW is getting more new attactions than DL because WDW is paying for them. DL is short on cash because DCA has been underperforming for the past 4 years. DL has to show a reasonable profit and can't afford to invest in new attactions at the same rate as WDW. It's not about corporate preference, its about economics. Each business unit is run separately (to some extent) and needs to make decisions about how to re-invest their funds.
    Can you just imagine Disneyland today if they spent all that DCA money to enhance it? Sigh...

Is DCA even in the black at this point?

I never went to DL until I was 20. Before that it was MK only (being from the midwest and all, our annual vacation was to FL. Think Griswalds and you'll be close) I like it all. Disney rocks. I don't care where, but I am partial now to DL cause I've been like 300 times.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyfanatic

People complain that Disneyland is taking over Other Disney Resorts....lets see, isn't it Disneylands 50th, not DLP, or WDW.
    Whoever said that needs to be laughed at because it is quite the opposite.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Whatever
    Is DCA even in the black at this point?
    Depending on how revenues and expenses are rearranged, it could be.
    I don't think so, in my accounting world.
    1. It cost some $700 million to build (1 billion for DCA and GCH and PPH-redo?).
    2. Disney (and many companies) require a minimum rate of return on investments or they're a no-go. Let's assume 10%, to make the math easuer.
    3. DCA needs to clear $70 million each year.
    4. DCA had received about 20.6 million visitors from opening to 12/31/04 (according to scottware). About 5 million per year.
    5. On average, DCA has to have made $14 per person profit, after expenses, every year.
    6. This, and any analysis, depends heavily on how AP revenue is distributed. I consider DCA mainly the largest AP Lounge on the planet, so I'll recuse myself from this portion.

And, after a while, it becomes moot, since the individual parts of DLr are heavily dependent on the other components. It becomes difficult to separate it out, since it really isn't a separate entity.

• Stay Positive

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyfreak
    Whoever said that needs to be laughed at because it is quite the opposite.
    I find it funny because at WDW they have the "magic mirror" which shows all disney resorts castles....last time i check, it was only disneyland's 50th, and the commercials dont even mention its Disneyland's 50th, it just said "the 50th celebration" so thats funny to me
    "Is a man who chooses to be bad better than a man who has the good imposed on him?"
    - Anthony Burgess
    "I think what I want Disneyland to be most of all is a happy place–a place where adults and children can experience together some of the wonders of life, of adventure, and feel better because of it."
    - Walt Disney on Disneyland

• Kirbyshowcase.com

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyfanatic
    I think this also show what Eisner thinks about Disneyland, its our 50th, and yet other parks get new rides, more budget, more everything. All Hail Mat Ouimet (hope i spelled it right), if it weren't for him, we would have buzz, the new tommorow land, all the cool things for the 50th, new subs, new everything!
    One more "t"
    Matt Ouimet, but otherwise AWESOME JOB!
    (insert funny comment here)

• Kirbyshowcase.com

Quote Originally Posted by egroeg
    I respectfully disagree.
    I think that their "world-wide celebration" is good business and, although we all hate to admit it, more paying guests at any park is better for APs. I do dislike the fact that Disney doesn't always mention what they are celebrating in their ads.
    They added into the Kelsey Grammer Disney Celebration commercial, "Disneyland" at the end, they even show the castle. But i bet they just did this for the west coast. I bet on the East Coast it says "come home to Disney World".

• Kirbyshowcase.com

Quote Originally Posted by sediment
    Disney also requires OLC to make sure the Disney name is not tarnished by this arrangement. Disney does not require itself to do such things, though.

BTW: it's "Cast Member Matt." Please make a note of it.
    If anyhting OLC is enhancing the Disney name. I mean I've seen videos from Disney Sea... one word "Amazing!"

• I like Cheese...

Quote Originally Posted by sediment
    Depending on how revenues and expenses are rearranged, it could be.
    I don't think so, in my accounting world.
    1. It cost some $700 million to build (1 billion for DCA and GCH and PPH-redo?).
    2. Disney (and many companies) require a minimum rate of return on investments or they're a no-go. Let's assume 10%, to make the math easuer.
    3. DCA needs to clear $70 million each year.
    4. DCA had received about 20.6 million visitors from opening to 12/31/04 (according to scottware). About 5 million per year.
    5. On average, DCA has to have made $14 per person profit, after expenses, every year.
    6. This, and any analysis, depends heavily on how AP revenue is distributed. I consider DCA mainly the largest AP Lounge on the planet, so I'll recuse myself from this portion.

And, after a while, it becomes moot, since the individual parts of DLr are heavily dependent on the other components. It becomes difficult to separate it out, since it really isn't a separate entity.
    Yes. I would expect a DLR line on the published financials, not each component. What I would really like to know is if they spent a significant portion of that $700 million on DL instead of DCA, would they have made more or less money? We'll never know...

• Senior Minion

Up here in Nor cal the TV ads for "The Happiest Homecoming were for Disneyland only!! This time with brief Glimpse of the Planet celebration. The Sleeping Beauty's castle in the background instead.

And I could swear I heard "Come Home to Disneyland" at the end of the ad.
    The focus should have been on DLR in the first place, Then added smaller celebrations for WDW.
    Why because DISNEYLAND has been treated like a dirty stepchild for too long!! It's time to update the park even more then the 50th celebration can bring in one year. Let's hope that this is a prelude ornew beginning to bringing back the park to a standard that never should have left.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• 0 to 200 mph in 1 second!

Also remember that all of the attractions being "given" to the other parks would have been built whether it was Disneyland's 50th or not. Its just good PR for the company to call it a "celebration", which sort of makes it sting even more. Just give the "celebration" to us.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast