Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

• Stay Positive

To put this in a wierd perspective

Its like you having your B-day, and your parents have partys for each of your brothers and sisters, gives them great gifts, while you get not so great gifts

now that is unfair
    "Is a man who chooses to be bad better than a man who has the good imposed on him?"
    - Anthony Burgess
    "I think what I want Disneyland to be most of all is a happy placeľa place where adults and children can experience together some of the wonders of life, of adventure, and feel better because of it."
    - Walt Disney on Disneyland

• Stay Positive

Now that we have iger aka eisner , we will not start seeing this disney park getting what it needs
    "Is a man who chooses to be bad better than a man who has the good imposed on him?"
    - Anthony Burgess
    "I think what I want Disneyland to be most of all is a happy placeľa place where adults and children can experience together some of the wonders of life, of adventure, and feel better because of it."
    - Walt Disney on Disneyland

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by egroeg
    I respectfully disagree.
    I think that their "world-wide celebration" is good business and, although we all hate to admit it, more paying guests at any park is better for APs. I do dislike the fact that Disney doesn't always mention what they are celebrating in their ads.
    WRONGO!!! DL ONLY!!!

• Sock Puppet

Thumbs up Sub Lagoon (Submarine Voyage) Info

I respectfully disagree.
    I think that their "world-wide celebration" is good business and, although we all hate to admit it, more paying guests at any park is better for APs. I do dislike the fact that Disney doesn't always mention what they are celebrating in their ads.
    WRONGO!!! DL ONLY!!!

• Sock Puppet

Thumbs up DL, The Real World Look

I respectfully disagree.
    WRONGO!!! DL ONLY!!!

• Sock Puppet

Sorry, my computer freaked out and posted more then once!

• something else...

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Remus
    They need to uncomplicate this company. Maybe they should be able to distrubute money within the company where it needs to go. Maybe if they dropped some franchises and just went back to making animated and live action films along with some theme parks. That would be "the awesome". God i hate big business...
    Which is the one thing that I hate as well (but i still love disney...) but they're doing what's right by them. Having the Disney name and using it to make as much money as possible without using the magic.
    You would think that being in New York for eight months out of the year would be cool...not when the closest thing you have to Disneyland is the World of Disney Store on Madison.

Just to add a new perspective to the whole 50th birthday celebrations, we currently have an advert in England which is clearly showing various toons heading to DL (probs showing in the US too maybe?) but yet the tag line goes 'Everyone's heading to Disneyland Paris for the 50 years of magic'....erm....maybe not all of us.
    Beauty of living across the channel I guess...not to mention WDW is always advertised but literally haven't seen an advert for the original DL in 15 years...

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by emz84
    Beauty of living across the channel I guess...not to mention WDW is always advertised but literally haven't seen an advert for the original DL in 15 years...
    DisCo does NOT want you spending $600 a person on airfair to come to DLR, then stay at a cheap hotel across the street, eat at the restaurants across Harbor, and shop at the cheap souvenier stands across the street, spend 3 days a DLR and the rest of your week at other SoCal attractions.

Come to DLR, and they'll get about $300 (225 Euros) per person off you.

They'd much prefer you take the chunnel train over to DLP, stay at a DLP resort hotel with a bit of the money saved on airfare and spend $500 a person (372 Euro) over your 3 day visit....

Or better yet, fly to WDW and spend a full week staying in a WDW resort hotel, eating all your meals and doing all your shopping on property.... Then they make $1000 (745 Euros) per person!

It is not a "personal insult" to the oldest Disney park... It is PURE economics! To do anything else would simply be stupid.

• Minion

To get back to the original question, Why?

I'd say the lack of imaginative and fun resorts and restaurants. I know people who organize their entire WDW around restaurants and who cannot choose between which of the many resort to stay at and wind up splitting their stay between 2 or more. Add to that, there is golf, minature golf, water parks, boat rentals, parasailing and several club districts. They're actually importing an Irish pub which will have Irish storytelling and dance this summer. The fact that DLR has no variety is what gets us WDW fans. If you don't like the theming at the Grand California, you have only high rise hotels to pick from. That's it. And apart from the Neverland pool, there are no imaginative pool in the vicinity. The pool at the GC looks like it belongs on a cruise ship, it's so tiny. DL has two sit down restaurants, but the MK has, what 5? These things matter... pools, resort themeing, resort-based activities, and restaurants... just as much as the rides and shows. Even most of the AP ticket holders in Florida stay for a few days. It's very much resort-based, family-based. DLR strikes me, just from reading these boards, as more of a day-tripping crowd where these things aren't important at all. Big packs of thrill-seeking teenagers who aren't seeing the magic and who aren't adding to the magic.

In addition, DLR seems very territorial... it's "our" park and we are the "them." It seems built for Californians by Californians and can only be celebrated by Californians. When you go to WDW, you hear "welcome home" It's more gracious. It's easy to lose the magic at Disneyland. The real world is all around you, but at WDW you can spend over a week, 2 even, completely insulated from the real world and not be bored. There is so much entertainment. There's VARIETY.

And finally, DL is not well maintained from what I'm reading. I'm always hearing how DL Fantasmic is so much better, and yet from other threads I'm reading that it's broken most of the time and that it shimmobalizes a third of the park. Not so at the Disney Studios at WDW, where we have bleacher seating. Space Mountain has been down for TWO YEARS. Toms Sawyers Island is unusable. It seems like half the park is under repair. What's up with that?

I have fond memories of DL as a child and hope to take my family there in October, but it's only a short stop on my way to WDW. (I thought it would be cool to do both on the same trip.) See where the magic started first, and then where it blossomed and grew last.

• A Little Rabid

To put it simply... WDW has tourists. DLR has... APs.
    Remember, WDW is getting RECYCLED attractions. We get one recycled ride but two new ones as well as a lovely refurb.
    I lurk.

Quote Originally Posted by dshimel
    DisCo does NOT want you spending $600 a person on airfair to come to DLR, then stay at a cheap hotel across the street, eat at the restaurants across Harbor, and shop at the cheap souvenier stands across the street, spend 3 days a DLR and the rest of your week at other SoCal attractions.

Come to DLR, and they'll get about $300 (225 Euros) per person off you.

They'd much prefer you take the chunnel train over to DLP, stay at a DLP resort hotel with a bit of the money saved on airfare and spend $500 a person (372 Euro) over your 3 day visit....

Or better yet, fly to WDW and spend a full week staying in a WDW resort hotel, eating all your meals and doing all your shopping on property.... Then they make $1000 (745 Euros) per person!

It is not a "personal insult" to the oldest Disney park... It is PURE economics! To do anything else would simply be stupid.
    Irony of course being that we choose to go to the original DLR rather than our cheaper and less fortunate cousin across the Channel or make the albeit briefer stop-off at WDW. Dread to think how much money the DLR has taken off us since 1995, when they'd 'prefer' us to go to DLRP and WDW

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mousekiteer
    To put it simply... WDW has tourists. DLR has... APs.
    Remember, WDW is getting RECYCLED attractions. We get one recycled ride but two new ones as well as a lovely refurb.
    I'm not sure I'd characterize Mission Space, Mickey's PhilHarmagic, Rockin' Rollercoater, Tower of Terror, Buzz Lightyear, Stitche's Great Adventure, or the upcoming Everest as "recycled." Some have originated from other parks and have been improved, others... like Pirates, not so much improved. Overall, the tourist experience is richer at WDW but that's not to say that we "hate" DLR.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345