Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Writer

Can you pay for a DL Hotel with a Debit Card?

My boyfriend and I are planning on going to Disneyland after I graduate next year (planning early, we know), but neither of us qualify for a credit card. I've been doing some research, and I have heard you can pay for a hotel with a debit card, and we will call them when it gets closer to ask, but I was wondering if anyone else has done this? Also, I've read that they need to be Visa or Mastercard debit cards, is this true?

Thanks in advance for the help.

(also, if I posted this in the wrong place, feel free to move it or yell at me for it. (; )

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible" -Walt Disney
    "If you can dream it, you can do it." -Walt Disney
    watch me on Youtube! : youtube.com/violetskyemartin
    or read my blog: writingandrecovering.wordpress.com

• Greetings, Program!

Re: Can you pay for a DL Hotel with a Debit Card?

As long as you have the funds in your account and it has a major credit logo on it, I don't see why they wouldn't take it.
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

• Love HD videos!

20 to 35 mins from Disneyland, Knotts, Universal, Raging water

Yes, you can definitely pay using a debit card. I went to Walt Disney World for two weeks last year and I paid in full using my Bank of America debit card. Make sure you have enough fund in your account.
    My Brand New Youtube channel -"SoCal ATTRACTIONS 360"
    http://www.youtube.com/SoCalAttractions360

• The "goat trick" RULES!!!

I have not actually stayed at a Disneyland Hotel in a while. But when I did, I used a debit card to reserve a room.

You should at least call to check pricing and availability as rooms can disappear quickly for whatever reason. Also, the operator will be able to tell you of any specials (passholder, seasonal, multi-night, etc.) that you may have missed or may not be on the website and give you a price to plan on. They have always been very pleasant to work with and very helpful.

If you book at that time of the call, they will ask you for a deposit and you will pay for the rest of the room and incidentals at the the time of check-in. On both occasions funds will be deducted from your account so be sure you have money to cover it.

Also, be sure to let the operator know if there is a special reason you are visiting. I MENTIONED that I was reserving a room as a birthday present for my mom and to our surprise, at check-in she was given birthday balloons, a card and her birthday button.

Hope this helps and you have a great trip!!

• Banned User

Just remember that a debit card is just electronic access to your bank account, so, as previously stated, if you have the funds, it works great.

Yes. ^^ I stayed at the Disneyland hotel this past September and paid with a debit card. I was 19 at the time, and they did make us pay up front as opposed to billing at the end of a trip with a credit card, but we had no problem.

Also make sure you have funds to cover incidentals and resort fees. Many hotels bill you for incidentals when you check in, then clear it when you check out (minus any charges, of course). If you only have enough money in your account for the room fees, you may be in trouble.

• Banned User

I have stayed at the Disneyland Hotel and the Grand Californian with only using a debit card (with the Visa or MC logo). No fuss, no muss, no issues, no problems.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Yes, no problem....but like others have posted, do make sure you have enough in your account to not only cover the room rate but to also cover resort fees, taxes, and other incidentals.

Have a Great Time

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

You should be fine as long as like others have stated, you have more than enough funds in your bank account to cover everything. I use debit cards to stay at hotels all the time (I don't use credit cards). As long as you got the money and the card has the Visa or Mastercard logo on it, you'll be fine.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

I'm not sure if the US is the same but sometimes Debit cards have limits on daily transactions. That would be something to double check before departure.

I ended up just getting a Mastercard to go. Canadians can get them at 19 and it was really the easiest way to do it.

Check with you bank to see what you daily maximum is for your card, I used mine this past October but I had to make sure the room was 100% pre-paid as I have a 1,000 per day limit on my card, and the room rate would have been a bit over 900 not permitting enough for incidentals. Disney let me pre-pay a week in advance and then at check in they only held 150 or something for the incidentals and resort fee's.

• Disneyland's the best!

Absolutely. BUT, as the other posters have said, like at a restaurant, have more than you need to allow for holds on your account. A good rule of thumb? Estimate how much you are going to need total (tickets, food, souvenirs, and hotel folio) and multiply by three. Yes, three (3). Hope this helps!
    It's easy enough to be pleasant
    when life hums along like a song.
    But the man worth while
    is the man who can smile
    when everything goes dead wrong.

• Writer

Okay, thanks everyone. We just wanted to make sure. Thanks.

(side note: I use lesser known forums for other non-disney related things, and forgot that people actually reply at a fast rate here. Surprise, surprise. (: )

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible" -Walt Disney
    "If you can dream it, you can do it." -Walt Disney
    watch me on Youtube! : youtube.com/violetskyemartin
    or read my blog: writingandrecovering.wordpress.com

• Minion

A couple things to remember. When they put a hold on for incidentals, it can take 8 days for it to drop off. If they hold $150 for incidentals, and you don't use it, when you depart the hotel, the hold will continue until YOUR bank releases the hold, generally 3-8 days.

Also remember, when you book the room at the 3 resort hotels, they charge the first nights stay immediately.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast