View Poll Results: Good idea or bad idea: Little Mermaid and ST2 opening on the same day

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good Idea

32 72.73%
  • Bad Idea

9 20.45%
  • Not Sure

3 6.82%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Just this guy......

Good idea or bad idea: Little Mermaid and ST2 opening on the same day

We now all know that Little Mermaid and Star Tours 2 will be opening on the same day. Do you think this will cause a bottle neck at the two parks or spread out the crowd?

• I'm not really here

Re: Good idea or bad idea: Little Mermaid and ST2 opening on the same day

I think it will spread the crowd. With just one ride opening at a time, most people will go to that one ride and it will slow down. Like PotC's 5 hour line when it reopened. With two lines open, the park won't have any more people than it would with just one ride opening, but those people will divide between the two lines, so both rides will benefit. As people finish with one, they'll go to the other.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

What Mycroft said. Honestly given the certain popularity in general to either of these rides, by having them publicly opening on the same day will enable people to plan for both parks thus increasing profit and crowd dispersal between the parks on what will be very likely a very busy day.

• Minion

Bad idea. You will already have higher than normal attendance from the opening of one attraction that will appeal to a certain demographic. With a second attraction opening at the same time you now have another demographic cramming into the parks also.

Wouldn't want to be there on that day. I predict closure of the gates by noon.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by ExJungleSkipper95 View Post
    Bad idea. You will already have higher than normal attendance from the opening of one attraction that will appeal to a certain demographic. With a second attraction opening at the same time you now have another demographic cramming into the parks also.

Wouldn't want to be there on that day. I predict closure of the gates by noon.
    I don't think so. I think the majority of people who want to go on TLM will also be wanting to go on ST2. Yes some may be in the one or the other crowd, but most will want both.

If ST2 opened on June 2nd and TLM on June 3rd, you'd get that large portion of people who want both showing up on the 2nd plus the ST only crowd. Then the next day that same large portion of people who want both plus the TLM only group. If you do it all on the same day it's only a marginally larger crowd, but it is split between the parks as people bounce between the rides. And even the one ride only crowd is going to be pretty tempted to try out the other.

Since the rides are about a 15 minute casual walk apart, the lines will be very separated and the crowds kept apart rather than having the entire crowd in a single location.

If they were opening one per day I would say they would close main gates by noon because the entire crowd would be focused on a single park each day, but with this method, I don't think they will. Definitely it will be very crowded, but I think they have run the numbers and decided that it is actually manageable if they do a single day opening.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Its good...makes me excited to go to the park this summer with all the new stuff instead of just the normal fireworks and other nighttime shows

Quote Originally Posted by tuxhero View Post
    What Mycroft said. Honestly given the certain popularity in general to either of these rides, by having them publicly opening on the same day will enable people to plan for both parks thus increasing profit and crowd dispersal between the parks on what will be very likely a very busy day.
    That has to be what Disney had in mind when they set these opening dates. If you have someone who wants to be there on the "first day!" for both attractions, then that's one more parkhopper as opposed to single-park ticket you've sold (in addition to park merch, etc).

I think it's a great idea because it will help ensure that both parks remain mostly accessible despite the fact that a major attraction is opening in each park.
    *I am an employee of The Walt Disney Company*
    *All words above are my own and do not represent TWDC, nor do I speak on their behalf*
    *All words above conform to the Social Media policy distributed to employees; no confidential information is divulged*

• Seasick

What mycroft said.

If they opened on different days, many people would come for both openings, whereas this way some people will only come once, lessening the impact crowd-wise.

It will also split the crowd each day, with half heading to Mermaid and half heading to Star Tours (hypothetically).
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• You're late for TEAAA!!!!

IIIII don't know but I'm leaning more towards bad idea. As much as we'd like to think it'll spread out the crowd, I think it'll just be insanely crowded as if they both opened on different days to begin with anyway. I'm expecting 6 hour lines for Star Tours by noon, 3 hour lines for TLM by 2 PM.

Star Wars nerds trump Mermaid nerds, by far. I'm sure a good percentage of them aren't even aware of TLM or even considering buying a hopper ticket to experience it. Disneyland will be MUCH more crowded until next January, while DCA will be crowded more than usual throughout the summer and things will go back to normal. And that's being modest in hopes that the SW nerds don't rush for the first day and they spread out their times of showing up. Just my prediction!

• Minion of Chernabog

It'd be bad if say, Star tours 2 and that Nemo submarine voyage were opening on the same day. That would draw a massive crows to JUST Tomorrowland.

However, since it will be dispersed to both parks, the crowds won't be much bigger in either park than if they were opening on different days.
    The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing - Walt Disney

Shut up and get to work - Me

• Banned User

It will split the opening day crowds between the two parks, but I wish the rides were opening earlier. I was contemplating a possible May visit to DLR to check out the new attractions, but now that is looking doubtful. Does anyone know how many soft openings are planned?

• Blew By You

I'm thinking more good than bad. Nice convergence of two new attractions opening up, plus a major holiday weekend, plus some serious park hopping. If Star Tours does a fastpass, then there will be some tremendous crowd movements. Disney pros figured what the heck. Why good? Well, this could be the antidote for DCA to compete against her sister park and really measure up to her. Time to take off the training wheels.

I want to see some cross-promotional marketing with Ariel flying through space! King Triton facing off against a Storm Trooper!

•   
    • Minion

I picked good idea. Splitting up the crowd will be a benefit. The last attraction I was present for when it opened was Indiana Jones. It was so insane, but very fun!!

I'm feeling like it's probably a good idea in theory, but sometimes it doesn't quite turn out the way that it should. What are the odds that people are going to actually spread out and have half at Mermaid and half at Star Tours? Not very good.

The question that is in my mind right now is....for those of us who have already planned trips and expected these rides to open the previous week and are now going to be there during opening day, what should I expect? I've never been there during the opening of a new ride. Is it mostly just going to be those two rides drawing the crowds that day? Will I be safe if I just stay away from those rides on opening day, or will the entire park be incredibly crowded? I'm not a huge fan of overwhelming crowds, so I'm trying to decide what to do. Advice?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast