Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• (Not a) New User

Questions About the SkyWay

Hi thar. I just had some questions about the SkyWay that I was wondering about.

1) Why did it close? I heard that some people were stupid and jumped out on purpose just to get money from Disney, which leads to my second question:

2) Why didn't they put bars to keep people from getting out?

3) I figure it must have been more complicated than that. If it were only a matter of keeping people from getting out, why would they be so hasty to close it and patch up the Matterhorn?

My Twitter! CardfightrHuntr

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Re: Questions About the SkyWay

The other big problem was people throwing things and dropping things from the cabins. Any attempt to make sealed cabins would have added huge amounts of weight to them, and because they were so minimalistic to start with, the whole feel of the attraction would have been changed.

It is also likely that the workings of the ride including cables and motors would have had to be reworked to support the new loads and the load stations redone to accommodate the new larger cabins. This is all not to mention that the new designs still would have had to fit between the narrow passageways through the mountain.

Lots of expense just to keep an attraction running.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    The other big problem was people throwing things and dropping things from the cabins. Any attempt to make sealed cabins would have added huge amounts of weight to them, and because they were so minimalistic to start with, the whole feel of the attraction would have been changed.

It is also likely that the workings of the ride including cables and motors would have had to be reworked to support the new loads and the load stations redone to accommodate the new larger cabins. This is all not to mention that the new designs still would have had to fit between the narrow passageways through the mountain.

Lots of expense just to keep an attraction running.
    +1

Imagineer Bob Gurr gives a good explanation of why the SkyWay had to go in this interview:

Designer Times by Bob Gurr - Sep 15, 2005 - LaughingPlace.com: Disney World, Disneyland and More

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by Werner View Post
    Imagineer Bob Gurr gives a good explanation of why the SkyWay had to go in this interview:

Designer Times by Bob Gurr - Sep 15, 2005 - LaughingPlace.com: Disney World, Disneyland and More
    Just in case the link gets pulled ..... a full quote from the article might be more helpful .........

Take the Disneyland Sky Ride for example. When this attraction was installed in the mid-1950s, it was typical of the wire rope cableway transportation technology of those times. Design and operating standards become ever more strict over time. This makes it tough to upgrade old equipment to the latest standards each time the rules change. At some point in time, some items of equipment become either uneconomical, or physically impossible to upgrade.
    Another very real consideration is the wear and tear on machinery over the years. Many times the service replacement parts are no longer available. The existing parts have to be modified to accommodate different service parts (like bearings and such) and this kind of revision work can get pretty complicated. Pretty soon the basic framework parts begin to reach their ultimate fatigue life and require ever closer periodic inspections.
    OK....Time out for Mechanical Reality 101. Ultimate fatigue life? Most materials, such as steel and aluminum, have a characteristic where as you apply more load and number of working cycles, the material will start out with an unlimited life span, but get shorter and shorter as the load increases. Everyone knows the "bend the paper clip trick". Bend it just a tiny bit back and forth and you might never hurt it. Now bend it back and forth harder...it soon breaks. That's a demonstration of fatigue life.
    The trick in engineering anything is to make it heavy enough to last forever, but light enough to do the job you need done. Heavy as in, say railroad cars, light as in airplanes. Not all materials behave the same.
    Some mild steels have average strength so you don't expect to make them carry big loads. Certain aluminum alloys for example are very strong, and can carry big loads as long as you limit how many hours or years it will safely carry the load before the fatigue cracking starts.
    Now you can appreciate that not everything will last forever if it has to be light enough do a special job. Things that fly, or have to be very light will ultimately be life-limited in service. That's what we techno-heads call fatigue life limited. The Sky Way had a bit of that in it's original design when the Von Roll Company built it for Disneyland.
    There are other special considerations too. We learned way early that manufacturers that supplied parts to Disneyland found their stuff to have a shorter life in Disneyland service. Wow, you want to improve your product?...take it to Disneyland. So we soon codeveloped a lot of components that worked super after a few years of understanding the severe service requirements on Disneyland attractions.
    In the specific case of the Von Roll Sky Ride, we made numerous upgrades over the years to stay ahead of the severe service wear and tear. But eventually the combination of fatigue cracks, can't get service parts, much tighter new service standards...our wonderful old Sky Ride became a cranky old senior and had to go to the Extinct retirement home.

Whoops! Good idea, Tomorrowland_1967. Thanks!

• Artistic integrity

This link is a bit safer ..........

Google search: Designer Times Bob Gurr Sept 15,2005 - Google Search

Hit the first link at the top.

Once there ... 10th story down the list.

Bob Gurr Explains it perfectly!
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

I just heard that people were misbehaving up there in the general sense, and by not being able to monitor all the things that people could get away with it, Disney felt that it was better to discontinue the ride all together. Again it was just a rumor so what I am saying is just what I have heard. It's sad because I loved that ride. It was one of my favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by Werner View Post
    Whoops! Good idea, Tomorrowland_1967. Thanks!
    I don't get it...

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by minnieandsteph View Post
    I just heard that people were misbehaving up there in the general sense, and by not being able to monitor all the things that people could get away with it, Disney felt that it was better to discontinue the ride all together. Again it was just a rumor so what I am saying is just what I have heard. It's sad because I loved that ride. It was one of my favourites.
    Your first version was much funner than this one! It is true that people were taking the "private" opportunity to partake in inappropriate activity and that was just another reason they chose to axe the attraction.

• "The Musical Quil"

The reality of the Fantasyland Skyway station is perfect location for little hidden jems. Maybe MOVE Repunzel's tower there, or provide another quick but intimate counter service location, or even just MORE seating for the Village Haus. Either way I would love to see that building, if not the space, used.... and soon
    DJ JARVICIOUS
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Electro | Hip-Hop | Top 40 | Funky
    www.Facebook.com/DJJarvicious
    www.SoundCloud.com/DJJarvicious
    Instagram / Twitter: @DJJARVICIOUS

Red Face Re: Questions About the SkyWay

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    Your first version was much funner than this one! It is true that people were taking the "private" opportunity to partake in inappropriate activity and that was just another reason they chose to axe the attraction.
    Haha well if you still have the original version of my comment you are welcome to send it to me and I will repost it. I just didn't know if it was too inappropriate to post it on here. That is why I edited it. I didn't want to offend anyone, which is why I was trying to be as careful as possible. So as a result I just ended up going the totally opposite direction!

Thanks for the compliment! LOL! Yes it is sad and unfortunate for the next people that had to take a ride in the same cart and risk the chance of being mistaken for the previous riders lol! I am glad someone has a sense of humor! Even it is referring to the inappropriate persuasion that went on in the Skyway buckets!

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

^It came in an email but its long gone. haha

Quote Originally Posted by 10/6 View Post
    The reality of the Fantasyland Skyway station is perfect location for little hidden jems. Maybe MOVE Repunzel's tower there, or provide another quick but intimate counter service location, or even just MORE seating for the Village Haus. Either way I would love to see that building, if not the space, used.... and soon
    There definitly isn't the room for food service there. It would be very slow as the support room isn't there to back it.

• Halloween 2011

I am of the opinion that there were a number of factors. Certainly, machine fatigue and the cost of repair and maintenance would be one of them. Another would be the cast member cost: the attraction required more people - and their salaries - to operate it than other attractions, especially when compared to its throughput (riders per hour). Some people suspect the fact that it wasn't ADA compliant adding in to its demise, but there are other attractions that are not ADA compliant yet still in operation. Add in the bad guest behavior issues and you've got a perfect storm of reasons to close the attraction.

Plus, at the time, upper management had a policy of closing one ride for every new one opened. Skyway was just next on the list.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast