Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Who was the idiot responsible for the 1998 New Tomorrowland?

Just wondering if he/she still works for Disney, or they mercifully fired that person.

Re: Who was the idiot responsible for the 1998 New Tomorrowland?

It rhymes with haul.

• Artistic integrity

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by IndyRacingNut View Post
    Just wondering if he/she still works for Disney, or they mercifully fired that person.
    It took much more than one person to achieve that level of idiocy -- starting at the top.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

T1967, obviously you don't understand business. Imagineers did the best they could with a slashed budget, and someone had to step up and make the best out of it.

• Shubisha

Most of it was based on poll results DustySage provided at the entrance turnstiles. That'll teach people to give fake answers to those things.

• Mrs. J. Depp

Mr. DEPRESSler

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MactheMan View Post
    T1967, obviously you don't understand business. Imagineers did the best they could with a slashed budget, and someone had to step up and make the best out of it.
    You betcha. If the Imagineers had their full budget, those fugly rocks at the entrance would have been five times bigger, and there would have been twelve coats of babycrap-brown paint on the buildings instead of only two.

"Tomorrowland '98 -- Creative Concepts that Money Can't Buy!"

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Banned User

Right. You're describing Carsland.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimura View Post
    It rhymes with haul.
    Ru Paul?

Quote Originally Posted by MactheMan View Post
    That was a nice way to dismiss 1967's opinion but it lacks any substantive argument. It fails to acknowledge that a large budget won't help a crappy idea. It just makes for an expensive crappy idea.

Maybe we should be thankful the budget was slashed.

I'm reminded of the story I just read about the Calico Mine Train Ride at Knotts. The designer ran out of money, literally lived out of his car and still produced a world class ride. If you've been on it, you can tell that it wasn't the most elaborate or expensive ride ever made, but it's genius.

Money helps. Ingenuity helps more.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    It took much more than one person to achieve that level of idiocy -- starting at the top.
    Bingo. It's never one dude. If one guy has that much power though, then there are some serious management issues.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

The project was headed up by Tony Baxter who is still with the company. Despite all the word regarding the budget I have heard repeatedly that he squandered a lot of that on elaborate models. And the only aspect of the project that has a known history is the Rocket Rods. Astro Orbiter may or may not have been intended for the Rocket Jets platform, but that change obviously happened early enough to ensure all of those rocks (which are also present in Discoveryland) framed the current location. Baxter knew that he was not doing a big overhaul like the planned 2055 and he say what happened with Tomorrowland '94 at the Magic Kingdom. The issues with Rocket Rods having to be forced to work after GM dropped out and Disney refused to step up with the cash while still expecting something can be understood and forgiven, but I have a hard time saying that the creative team is without fault and that the executives are solely to blame.

The only other big project visible in the concept art is the Mark VIIs. The initial Tomorrowland '98 had Mark III style monorails in it, but by the time Autopia was redone the art was back to showing the Mark Vs.

• Artistic integrity

At first I completely stood behind imagineering, and gave all blame from Eisner to Pressler .. and all those in between.

Then I began to hunt for more information .. and listened to some in the industry. Upon a few years of piecing various conversations together ... I began to piece together a realization. And that was: 100 million budgeted to the land was still a lot of money back in 1996/97. And I feel that money could have been delegated better.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by DJM View Post
    Ru Paul?
    HA!

Generally, I blame Eisner for everything. It's easy, effective, and people think about it for a second and then go "Oh, well that makes sense!" - But seriously here, we can all hope that maybe maybe with the launch of Star Tours 2.0, it could be the very slow beginning of a new Tomorrowland. I highly doubt that the land will just shut it's doors and be bulldozed and re-built like most people here are expecting - but hopefully one thing at a time could mean a new start. Who knows.

How I feel about the Tomorrowland topic is how I feel about the "Bring back the PM" topic. I almost just don't care anymore. If they bring a PM-type ride back, or if TL gets the overhaul it deserves, well then I will be stoked. But until then I am blocking both of those topics out of my brain.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast