Disney California Adventure...am I confused about what the name means?

When DCA opened, it was named "Disney's California Adventure". The theme of the park was California itself. I get that.

With the changes to the park (including renaming it to "Disney California Adventure", adding new attractions, removing others), I was under the impression that meant that the park was no longer themed as California itself, but rather it was an "adventure" park, run by "Disney" that was located in "California" (but might still have some California themed stuff). Just like Tokyo Disneyland is "Disneyland" located in "Tokyo" and not necessarily a Disneyland themed as Tokyo. (Sorry if this is confusing!)

I completely do not understand why people keep getting up in arms about the California theme when that is no longer what the park is...am I completely wrong about what DCA now is?

• Mrs. J. Depp

Re: Disney California Adventure...am I confused about what the name means?

I think the concept of theming an entire park on California was a good idea in theory, but it was a crash and burn in reality. I think the name change makes it more broad pertaining to all of the changes going on and forthcoming. It opens up the idea that there are still California themed things, but also that it's Disneys park located in California. By making it more vague, it lessens the burden of having the park be based solely on one thing.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyInWonderland View Post
    I think the concept of theming an entire park on California was a good idea in theory, but it was a crash and burn in reality. I think the name change makes it more broad pertaining to all of the changes going on and forthcoming. It opens up the idea that there are still California themed things, but also that it's Disneys park located in California. By making it more vague, it lessens the burden of having the park based solely on one thing.
    So I'm correct?

• Dream in wonderful color!

The park will still be California themed.

Disney or Disney's?

A big topic on people's minds was the park name change from Disney's California Adventure to Disney California Adventure, which Disneyland President George Kalogridis eloquently explained to D23. "I don't know that it's a lot of science. In the transformation process, we believe it's better to talk about California as more of a state of mind. So California Adventure is an ongoing adventure, and it's presented by Disney. That's why it's not possessive in terms of 'this is our interpretation of California.' It's more [than that]. We are presenting a story about the adventure of life in California, which is ever-evolving, as is Disneyland. Which is why Disneyland is called Disneyland, not Disney's Land."
    D23: The Official Disney Fan Club
    - Adventure Is Waiting -

"We're going to take you out of this world of reality for a visit to the most fantastic of all the worlds of fantasy." - Walt Disney

• Banned User

Its sort of disappointing that they removed the appostrophe ess ('s) from Disney's California Adventure because it will sort of mean what it says after the renovation. It will be Walt Disney's version of his California Adventure.

I do think they need to come with a shortened version of the name because no one says the full name and DCA is unpronounceable.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Things that could fit inside a theme park about California that they did not do or were not properly executed: Golden age of movie history and culture, Spanish Missions/Zorro property, 1906 earthquake, gold mining history, western expansion experience tied in with that, a spookhouse type homage dark ride that seaside piers always had.....

They are getting away from that yes and made a crucial mistake in thinking California as a theme had to mean "hip" or "edgy" or some such. There's a lot of possibility that looks like won't be realized. New park conception is less about actual California in pure terms.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• Mrs. J. Depp

Quote Originally Posted by readandburn View Post
    So I'm correct?
    I think it's all perception now pretty much. I would love to see some of they key historical aspects of California approached like the Gold Rush and the Spanish Missions like RegionsBeyond mentioned. I mean if they are going to continue with somewhat of a California vibe, those things would be vital to include.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• Buena Vista St. & Red Car

Quote Originally Posted by nonob88 View Post
    The park will still be California themed.

D23: The Official Disney Fan Club
    I'll just repost this. This is coming from the resort President. Pretty accurate description of what the name change entailed.

Personally, I'm glad the park isn't themed like it originally was. The new direction it is taking seems positive enough, with the 20's in mind and Walt's original ideas coming out more. I guess I never really understood how it was suppose to attract people from out of state or country. Sure, they used pretty iconic symbols and landmarks to represent the state of California aspect, but I guess if I were from out of state I wouldn't much care about all that. Am I alone?

Think of it as Disney's Version of California

• Minion

The removal of the "apostrophe s" in "Disney's" is company-wide, (I have a poster on my wall that reads Disney The Princess and the Frog. I'm tempted to fill in the "apostrophe s" myself ). So I don't see how it affects the theme of DCA specifically.

How does being an "adventure park" differentiate DCA from Disneyland? The latter has even more "adventures."

The new enterance they're building is themed to California (specifically, Los Angeles at the time Walt Disney arrived there in the 1920's).

On the other hand, most of the new attractions don't really seem to demand a California theme to support them, even if some of them are connected in some way (Carsland via Route 66, the route many Americans used to get to California).

So it seems they are neither dropping, nor are they particularly running with, the California theme.
    "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
    Disney sequel):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.