Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A different use for the PeopleMover track

What if DL decided to use the PeopleMover track as a walk-thru attraction? Obviously, there'd have to be rails on both sides and perhaps a roof over the outdoor sections of the track, but if they used those moving walkways (like at airports, or what we saw on The Jetsons) this could be a somewhat low budget attraction that lots of people would like to use, I think.

Think about it...since they'd have to build exit stairwells every so often along the track anyways, that'd be a nice excuse to give people a chance to exit the attraction wherever they would like!

I dunno...just trying to think of something to use the track since it looks like at this rate, it'll never get used until we're all grandparents or something. LOL

• Theming Fan

Someplace much to far from anything Disney.

Re: A different use for the PeopleMover track

Why has nobody said anything? This is an excellent idea. Especially with the moving - that would be awesome!
    Please keep your hands, arms, feet, and legs inside the forum at all times.
    Check out my bandcamp!
    http://chaseharrison1.bandcamp.com/

This has been brought up before (once by me!)...I think it is a good idea!

It would give the imagineers a ton of options on showcasing the latest movies and still give people a chance to see the park and several attractions from a competely different point of view...Especially Space Mountain. Plus, it might just relieve some of the foot traffic congestion that currently exists in TL.

• I'm not really here

Don't worry too much about the PM track not getting used. Numerous people have said there are plans for it and to hang in there. George Kalogridis for one has said this.

That being said... the idea is cool. What kinds of things would you put in the "walk" through for people to look at? Any ideas on that?

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    That being said... the idea is cool. What kinds of things would you put in the "walk" through for people to look at? Any ideas on that?
    The options are limitless!

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    On the former "Speed Tunnel" they could still make it TRON themed or whatever they want it to be...That'd be one of the portions that should have a moving walkway to keep people moving along. The portion that leads through Space Mountain could have a exit point where they could join the queue, or head on downstairs to the Starcade/Star Tours gift shop....Another exit point could be where Pizza Port is...Like the guy above said...The options are limitless, and they won't cost DL an arm and a leg to put it into reality.

Even installing the moving walkways won't cost much...Just install those things ABOVE the existing track. Plus, they won't have to worry about ADA/OSHA regs since it's just a walk-thru attraction. They might not even have to install evac ladders/stairwells every so many feet either.

Any way you look at it, moving walkways would give the place a "futuristic" feel if they do the theming right.

Lots of ways they could make this a rocking attraction again by making it walk-thru.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by IndyRacingNut View Post
    Any way you look at it, moving walkways would give the place a "futuristic" feel if they do the theming right.
    Agreed, it really could be cool done correctly, otherwise it would feel like the Tomorrowland airport.

I like this idea. The only drawback is will people be willing to stand for the duration? That is the only drawback I can see to this idea. There really is a lot of potential for this.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Blew By You

There will never be anything that will replace the likes of the People Mover. Ever. Never. No Way.

• Senior Minion

There's a few problems with this idea, although I agree that it's an interesting idea. One is that the track is too winding. Moving sidewalks use belt systems which have to go straight or in a regular curve. There are a few stretches where that would work, but not too many. Perhaps this could be overcome with a new type of drive system. Also, it would have major ADA problems. Moving walkways are not an accessible path of travel. You'd have to have a regular walkway adjacent to every moving walkway. Then if you were adding all these sub-stations you'd need elevators at each one which would be really expensive. I'm sure there's also lots of clearance problems and who knows how much of the old right of way is still open and clear.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

I really like the idea, but I have to say "Uncle Bob" makes some good points.

• Hooterville, USA

Unless you supply chairs with that idea, most people want to sit.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• ...TWO BITS!

Even with ADA and elevators, it would probably be on a smaller budget than a PM system. I like it. Maybe even make it stroller friendly. Then reserve the PM system for Parking Lot Transportation to the Esplanade from Mickey & Friends and Pumbaa Parking.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• Minion

I'd rather have them move the Autopia to the PeopleMover track, with electric cars.

It's a good idea, but I too would like to see Autopia up there. I feel as though simply standing on a moving walkway isn't very exciting though. . . .
    "I do what I likes, and I suits me"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast