Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Funny how most all the best rides at DL aren't movie themed

Or in the case of POTC & HM, it wasn't originally...

Tiki Room, POTC, It's A Small World, Haunted Mansion, Monorail, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Matterhorn, Space Mountain, Autopia, Jungle Cruise....

None of them are movie themed, and yet Disney continues to try shoving movie-themed rides down our throats as if that's what people WANT when it's clear by the ridership numbers, it ISN'T.

Thoughts?

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Re: Funny how most all the best rides at DL aren't movie themed

Indiana Jones. Star Tours. Peter Pan. Splash Mountain.

Not as simple as all that
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• Banned User

I don't think it crosses Disney's mind whether its a choice between a movie based ride or a pure original creation. Anything that Disney does is its creative imagination. Or licensed.

• You're late for TEAAA!!!!

I really don't like this argument... it's about the quality of the ride and the movie property in no way effects that. Splash Mountain, and Indiana Jones, in my opinion, are two of the best rides in the park. Star Tours is also another AWESOME ride. If anything, the movie property PLUSES these rides. Sometimes there are simply just good rides and sometimes, some rides fail and that goes for movie based or not.

FOR EXAMPLE:
    Superstar Limo. Everyone hated that ride (I actually liked it though). Got turned into Monsters Inc and was instantly better. Same layout, sets, tracks and even animatronics for the most part. But they put a movie on top of it and BAM - success.

Casey Jr. Railroad. Based on a movie, by far the most boring ride of both parks. It's not supposed to be big and elaborate but I see zero point in it.

It honestly just depends on how good of a ride that is made. It can't be chalked up to "it's based on a movie, it sucks." Or that, "they're trying to base it off a movie so all their original ideas went out the window because they had to succumb to staying within the realms of that movie." Malarkey!

• Hopper's Mortal Enemy

Why does it matter?

Matterhorn was a direct result of Walt seeing the real thing while filming "Third Man on the Mountain" in Switzerland. JC was inspired by the True-Life Adventure series and "The African Queen". Early park maps before 1955 often showed "True-Life Adventureland".

I think the Star Wars films are greatly overrated, but Star Tours is a Great Attraction. My son love Stitch, but, like most, doesn't think to highly of SGE. I found both the book and film of "Lord of the Rings" to be tedious, but I'd love to see an attraction based upon it.

I've found that that the source material is completely different from the attraction. Shoot, with many Disney animated classics, the source material was drastically changed for the film. An attraction is either good or it isn't. They're almost all just a story someone made up. Could have been a screenwriter, could have been a novelist, could have been an Imagineer. And I always come back to one thing.

Why does it matter?

A bientot.
    Remember
    What the dormouse said
    Feed your head!

You've read it; you can't unread it!

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

It's the Disney corporate way of thinking.

In Walt's day it seemed to be more about "how can we get a family to enjoy this ride"

Today I feel that it's "how can we get a family to enjoy this ride while marketing (insert movie title here)"

• Banned User

The marketing of Disneyland isn't the movie, but of the ride or show based on the movie. There's difference. The most recent World of Color promotion isn't based on any particular movie, it's a montage, but they recently added Tron, which I think is a dubious addition as few will care.

I would think some movie-based attractions have already entered into the culture like the Tron Glowfest attraction. It isn't much about the movie anymore.

What was the last THEMED ride built that was NOT based on a movie located in the Disneyland Resort?

Tours Departing Daily - Disneyland Resort Photography

• Hopper's Mortal Enemy

Walt Disney invented tying attractions to films. The pirate/princess merch of 2011 was Davey Crocket and Zorro in the 1950s. Nothing new under the sun.

A bientot.
    Remember
    What the dormouse said
    Feed your head!

You've read it; you can't unread it!

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by kpcrone View Post
    What was the last THEMED ride built that was NOT based on a movie located in the Disneyland Resort?
    DCA opening rides....Grizzly River and Soarin', SuperStar Limo. Tower of Terror is based on a TV show.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    DCA opening rides....Grizzly River and Soarin', SuperStar Limo. Tower of Terror is based on a TV show.
    Yup....Not counting TOT because its a tv show, and derived from something already created, they were basically in my opinion 1 for 3. Soarin' is a great ride, Limo bombed, and Grizzly is ok....
    Last edited by kpcrone; 03-04-2011 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Clarification

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Well one thing about DCA is when they built it, they were trying to seperate themselves from Disneyland and they kept all Disney characters away from it. Now they are changing existing attractions into character commercials (Orange stinger to Silly Symphony Swings, Mulholland Madness to Goofy's Flight School, Sun wheel to Mickey's fun wheel)

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    Well one thing about DCA is when they built it, they were trying to seperate themselves from Disneyland and they kept all Disney characters away from it. Now they are changing existing attractions into character commercials (Orange stinger to Silly Symphony Swings, Mulholland Madness to Goofy's Flight School, Sun wheel to Mickey's fun wheel)
    This is true.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    Yes, it ends with failure. They are changing the rides to a firmer foundation. Certainly this makes the case for character and movie-based rides. Disney is willing to spend more money for such things.

I don't know if customers staying away has anything to do with movies being in the park. The park was known as "Pressler's Multiplex". The movies were something else entirely like a fill-in for actual attractions... Golden Dreams, Bugs, Muppet, Animation Building.

Yet, here we are debating whether movie-based attractions are a good thing when the opposite is demonstrated to be a failure. I will argue DCA will be repeated if Disney tried the non-movie approach again. It's not that only movies make great attractions. It the fact that the organization of Imagineering isn't what it used to be.

Why do you think movies take so long to arrive at a script and filmed? Imagineering rides require the same level of development that movies get if they start from scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    ...... It the fact that the organization of Imagineering isn't what it used to be.

Why do you think movies take so long to arrive at a script and filmed? Imagineering rides require the same level of development that movies get if they start from scratch.
    Couldn't agree with you more.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast