Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile One week until we leave!!!!

One week from today my 8 year old daughter, my Mama and myself will be leaving for our first trip to Disneyland! This is a very special trip for me and my daughter...a year ago on March 4th my husband unexpectedly passed away. We are going on this trip to celebrate his life and for me and my daughter making it through a rough year.

We are SO excited! I was wondering what your "must haves" are for visiting Disneyland. I've got my Sanuk shoes and some good running shoes ready, my Baggalini, daughters lanyard and pins, and moleskin. Airfare is booked (Allegiant), room reserved at Park Vue Inn, and I ordered vouchers from Last Minute Travel for character dining (Ariel's Grotto. Still waiting on LMT to email the vouchers ). What else do I need/have to have for an awesome trip???

Thanks!

Re: One week until we leave!!!!

First, welcome to MiceChat! What a beautiful way to pay tribute to your late-husband; I'm certain, no matter what you bring/have, you will leave with a bundle of wonderful memories.

That being said and not knowing how many days you'll be spending there, I would let your whimsy be your guide. Don't plan too much and let the magic of being at Disneyland inspire your day. I would definitely make sure you have a good camera with you and to also take advantage of the PhotoPass program. Photographers around the park will take photos for you at designated spots and put them on a card for you to look at later. However, they will also gladly take pictures with you with your own camera as well.

*Also a quick tip about your shoes (both for you and your daughter)... make sure they are a bit broken in and comfy. Nothing worse than putting on a pair of new shoes for the first time for Disneyland and realizing they aren't so comfortable.

When you get there, make sure you pick up a Times guide so you know when all the special events are happening throughout the day.

I'm certain others will share their ideas with you; I hope you have a wonderful time.

• Keeper of the fruit rolls

Sorry to hear about your loss but welcome to micechat and congratulations on making it through the year. I would say don't forget your camera! And don't forget to USE your camera! I'd also recommend not forgetting sunscreen. oh and extra batteries for the camera. how long will you be at the parks?
    like tikiroom said be sure to grab a map and time schedule...they have them at the turnstiles and also you can ask for them at any of the shops or the custodians usually carry them as well. And let the moment move you. Take in the details, the atmosphere and experience anything and everytthing as the time moves you. you may want to bring a couple of layers of clothing. it gets cool in the evenings so have a light sweater for everyone. be sure to take time to sit down once in a while and take in some shows. world of color. fantasmic (if its running)l, billy hill and the hillbillies, alladin. grab a snack while you wait for the shows. some things take quite a bit of wait til but are worth it. and don't be afraid to ask the cast members anything you are unsure about. like what time you should arirve for a show. some shows like alladin you need to get there half an hour or more before show time to get a good spot. depends largely on how busy the parks are at the time.
    have you been to disneyland before?
    i have a seven year old sister and brother (twins) and i find they get bored during the lines so we bring a backpack full of snacks like rice crispy treats, fruit rolls etc and a few bottled drinks to keep us busy in line. snacks in the park can be quite expensive...everything in the parks are quite expensive so bring plenty of money
    -Jennelle AKA Blue AKA Dory

Quote Originally Posted by drphibes View Post
    SBF's lasso of truth makes grown men want to go pee pee.
    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendGonzo View Post
    Have you considered buying a bed?...as far as I can tell you live in an apartment with a computer, a coupon for hungry howies, and there may or may not be a llama there...
    DLR trips in 2011: Jan 12,29,30, Feb 10, March 29, April 3, 22, May 14, 18, 25, June 9, August 8, 21...hopefully soooooooooon

FB, Twitter

Thanks for the great feedback! This is the first trip for all of us. I've been to Tokyo Disneyland back in high school and WDW when I was 5. We are going to be at the parks for three full days, we arrive in LA Sunday night and leave on Thursday. I've downloaded Ridemax and it's been a help, but I'm sure we will stray from our schedule some! We are doing World of Color Monday night with the picnic meal. Tuesday morning my daughter is getting the BBB treatment and lunch at AG. Either Tuesday or Wednesday night we're going to the second showing of Fantasmic.

I wouldn't have thought of sunscreen...thank you! I've got the camera and extra batteries ready. I'm a picture addict, so I'll have lots of pictures! I'm excited about the whole photopass thing....like I said, I love pictures! We are going to hop between the two parks so some of it we are going to play by ear. I've made a list of all the "must rides" and which ones we'll need fastpasses for.

I'm planning on bringing jackets and sweatshirts for the cool evenings. How strict is Disney on bringing snacks into the parks?

Thanks so much for the help...MiceChat is SO much better than another forum I visited....

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^If you have some snacks in a purse or backpack you should be fine, I don't bring an Ice chest or anything big like that but if you just put a few things in a your bag your be great. I'll put stuff in my tiger back pack and they have never said anything but "have a good day".

Have a Fun trip and if your going to DCA don't miss WOC which you need a showpass to see.

When you arrive at the park go to City Hall and get a 1st Timer button and while there your daughter may even get a special phone call from a special someone.

Like others have said - take lots of pictures and also take time to absorb it all. Disneyland is a happy and magical place :-)

• Applying history

How exciting for you and your daughter! I'm going to Disneyland in a week for three days as well and taking my sister for her first time . Maybe we will see you there!
    Space Shuttle, this is flight safety, please keep your hands and arms inside the car, and remain seated while in motion. You are clear for launch.

Twitter | Tumblr | LiveJournal

• Sock Puppet

I hope you and your family have a fun time there

Quote Originally Posted by diametricdreams View Post
    How exciting for you and your daughter! I'm going to Disneyland in a week for three days as well and taking my sister for her first time . Maybe we will see you there!
    Maybe so!!

First of all, let me say I am so sorry for your loss. My father passed away on November 10th, so my family decided to take a trip to Disneyland in December (his birth month) to remember him and all the fun times we had together. It was a very special trip for us, and I know your family will have an amazing time there as well! Take alot of photos, and be sure to post a Trip Report when you get home=)

When it comes to attractions and character greetings, I highly recommend that you just do what your daughter wants to do. She'll most likely won't find the more extreme rides, such as Space Mountain (located in Tomorrowland) or Indiana Jones (located in Adventure Land), that fun.

You'll most likely find yourself spending the most time in Fanstasy Land, so you'll want to head over there first. However, some rides in Fantasy Land might have some "scary" scenes for your daughter. In the Pinocchio ride, the part with the whale sure scared me... (well, I do have a fear of whales)

For breakfast, you'll best be off getting a snack or stopping at a McDonalds. Disneyland food is just too expensive to breakfast. Disney has all sorts of different foods, but not Chinese . If you want a lunch that you and your daughter would love, get reservations for the Blue Bayou. The Blue Bayou is at New Orleans Square, right next to the exit of Pirates of the Caribbean. But if you don't want to spend that much money, but still want great scenery for your eating experience, try Café Orleans, French Market Restaurant, The Golden Horseshoe (it has wonderful shows), Hungry Bear Restaurant, or Rancho del Zocalo Restaurante. If you're getting hungry after lunch, which most people will after waiting in lines and whatnot, stop at a snack stand or something -- Buy some ice cream for your daughter. And when it's finally time for dinner, I highly recommend that you eat at the Plaza Inn. It is, in my opinion, the greatest place to eat at for dinner.

And be sure to use fast passes for rides!

• Keeper of the fruit rolls

Disneyland is not all that strict on snacks and drinks. As long as there is nothing glass or otherwise could pose a threat. I have brought a huge backpack with 10 of those 20 oz bottles in it as well as the other large pocket full of various snacks and they had no issues with it.

As soon as you get into the park after you've gone to city hall I suggest sending the quickest person in your group with all your tickets in hand to go grab a fast pass for the most desired of the fast pass rides you want to go on while the rest of your group heads to whatever it is you want to actually go on first. the fast passes have an hour window on them but you only need to go by the start time...they can be used any time after that even if the end time is expired. and the two park fast pass systems are not linked so you can have a disneyland one and grab another in dca before you use it.
    The crowds are picking up with the warm weather and schools may be getting out by next week for spring break so take advantage of fast pass and the opportunities when lines are short for whatever reason (like a ride just reopened after going down briefly).
    -Jennelle AKA Blue AKA Dory

Quote Originally Posted by drphibes View Post
    SBF's lasso of truth makes grown men want to go pee pee.
    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendGonzo View Post
    Have you considered buying a bed?...as far as I can tell you live in an apartment with a computer, a coupon for hungry howies, and there may or may not be a llama there...
    DLR trips in 2011: Jan 12,29,30, Feb 10, March 29, April 3, 22, May 14, 18, 25, June 9, August 8, 21...hopefully soooooooooon

FB, Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Arftle View Post
    Thanks for the great feedback! This is the first trip for all of us. I've been to Tokyo Disneyland back in high school and WDW when I was 5. We are going to be at the parks for three full days, we arrive in LA Sunday night and leave on Thursday. I've downloaded Ridemax and it's been a help, but I'm sure we will stray from our schedule some! We are doing World of Color Monday night with the picnic meal. Tuesday morning my daughter is getting the BBB treatment and lunch at AG. Either Tuesday or Wednesday night we're going to the second showing of Fantasmic.

I wouldn't have thought of sunscreen...thank you! I've got the camera and extra batteries ready. I'm a picture addict, so I'll have lots of pictures! I'm excited about the whole photopass thing....like I said, I love pictures! We are going to hop between the two parks so some of it we are going to play by ear. I've made a list of all the "must rides" and which ones we'll need fastpasses for.

I'm planning on bringing jackets and sweatshirts for the cool evenings. How strict is Disney on bringing snacks into the parks?

Thanks so much for the help...MiceChat is SO much better than another forum I visited....
    1. Disney is not strict on bringing snacks...I usually bring a whole days worth, grapes, PB&J, and various animal crackers, cheese its, ritz, etc. It all fits in my camelbak, which is full of water =) I've never tried full meals but remember what you bring is what you carry (it might be worth a locker to store things if you want, but I've never used one)

2. Please remember to have fun! Ridemaxx is seriously stuff and if you have it or are using it; just relax and have fun (also there are wait time apps for the iphone)

3. The weather out here has been WONKY so bring layers or having something heavy and warm if the weather forecasts is weird or just in case by the hotel.

4. If you forget anything, relax, there is a Target very close by on Katella?

5. If you have specific questions feel free to ask

Everyone here wants you to have a wonderful Disney experience =)

If you have a Disney Chase Visa remember you get a free pic EVERY MORNING in the back area by DCA; they frame and print it for you too.

You don't need to camp out for Fantasmic contrary to popular belief, I find the best way in the 2nd show is towards the left of the castle in the frontierland area where they hold you off (stack up near the turkey leg cart or closer to the MT)--> when rope drops you'll know and it 's not too hard to get a spot if your in that area or closeby--> please be wary ppl tend to shove A LOT.

If you have specific questions feel free to ask more =).

And to your not to miss list:
    Take a ride on the Lilly Belle if it's out on a day; ppl make a big deal about it, but just ask and most Conductor CM's are pretty nice with a yes or no and very informative with historical facts.

Corn Dog Cart is very good

At night if your into photography---> go next to Tink's place there is a light show every 15 minutes, which makes for awesome pictures.

Pirates is a great break and eat ride if your inconspcious...or need a nap =)

The weather can't be anymore wonky than here in Arkansas...tomorrow we're supposed to have storms and highs in the 60's...for Wednesday, highs in the 30's! Crazy!

I think the only FP rides we'll be doing are Buzz and Soarin'. My daughter isn't really isn't into the big rides, and I'm not as much as I once was...ha! Ridemaxx is a little too intense for me!

Since we are staying at Park Vue across the street, we plan on going back in the afternoon to catch a nap

Thanks for the tip about the light show at Tink's...I can't wait to get some great pics!

I think we've got everything taken care of...now just waiting on Disney to confirm our character dining reservation so LMT can email our vouchers...

Thanks so much for all the great suggestions! We are SO excited!!!! SIX DAYS TO GO!!!!

you will have a great time.. as for other stuff too do.. the madhatter and alice play musicalchairs with kids everyday at 2:30 everyday at cokescorner on mainstreet, your daughter can play or just watch but she will enjoy it because they interact with everyone.. they dont put it on the schedule.. it just happens everyday at 2:30. enjoy ur trip!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast