Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• My Children's Father

Quote Originally Posted by WDI
    ...snip
    In the early days of Disneyland - it was described in a childrens book promoting the "Darby O gill and the little People movie" with Sean Connery no less. that the Lepruchan fromthe movie alowed Walt to Build Disneyland in the middle of his Orange Groves as long as Walt built him a suitable Domicile inside the park.

end snip

WDI
    When I was a wee tyke (3 or 4) that movie scared the shillelagh out of me. The banshee gave me nightmares ........
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

• Minion

Supposedly, the Little Man's tree was completely removed in 2001, so, the Little Man is probably now living with the cats in the Tomorrowland Skyway building. Either that, or shacking up with those little cookie-makin' elves..
    See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
    78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

• Minion

Major D'oh moment

Okay, so the location I was originally proposing for a dark ride was in fact the path for the DRR tracks... All those darn trees tricked me.

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

• Disney Dad & Disney Nuts

Quote Originally Posted by Giant Panda
    When I was a wee tyke (3 or 4) that movie scared the shillelagh out of me. The banshee gave me nightmares ........
    But it was reallycool the way the banshee was beaten back with the Rake handle though!!

Back then that was primo special effects there.

WDI

• Leave 'em wanting more!

Quote Originally Posted by Giant Panda
    When I was a wee tyke (3 or 4) that movie scared the shillelagh out of me.
    Buwhahahaha! thank you. That made my weekend!
    ~ Tasty, yet morally ambiguous! ~

Quote Originally Posted by ModHatter
    Looking at my handy-dandy overhead map, I just don't know what kind of attraction you could put up front in Frontierland without repeating the Buzz-style updated shooting gallery. I think, short of tearing out BTMRR, there just isn't adequate room for something of the caliber that will divert more flow into the Frontierland entrance. Again, building up the East Side with more actual E ticket rides will solve some of the traffic flow. Finding a better solution than the Critter Country dead end will also be an immense help. After these two things come into play, then it's a matter of making Thunder Mesa something that will start right on the edges of RoA and have its peak directly betwen Splash and BTMRR. Draw more people from the hub, and from parts west.

Meanwhile... that Indy queue is fine the first time, but a little goes a long way. Now, I don't have any elevations or anything, and it's a little tough to tell where everything is because of the trees, but I do wonder if you couldn't redo that long queue, make some of it walkway (camouflaged so you can't see it from Jungle Cruise) and maybe do the stacking plan to have people who aren't going on Indy continue on to a small dark ride nestled between the Indy and PotC showbuildings.
    Fontierland doesn't necessarily need a big Eticket to pull people in that way, it needs a weeny that can be seen from the Hub something that makes people walk in that direction and ignore Adventureland, you might be suprised even a spinner would actualy divert more traffic that way I think

as far as that new ride goes, it would NOT cut back on the traffic it would increase it even worse then it is already and besides that there isn't any actual space, the space your looking at is a backstage area that looks to be heavily used (they can't expand backstage anymore it'll run into the tram area) not to mention I'm sure there'd be all kinds of things wrong with the long que required for that ride (and itd be like Indy long for just a small darkride)

as far as building up the East side goes, if you look at it most Etickets ARE on the east side and building MORE would only make the problem MORE intense not LESS because then your pulling more people that might spread out to other lands IN to the east (this already happens enough as it is)

finding a better solution to Critter Country would help with the traffic situation surounding fantasmic and the New Orleans area in general but generaly that situation doesn't have THAT much of an impact on Adventureland except when people exit the park after seeing fantasmic

the truth is the whole eastern side really needs a better entrance and nobody's taking frontierland which is messing up the system

so if you want to know my solution here it is

in Hong Kong Disneyland there are only three lands with hub entrances, those lands are Adventureland, fantasyland and Tomorrowland (ignorning the fact that those are the only lands the park has, it's safe to assume those are the only hub entry lands the park will probably ever get and when you consider that for a bit you'll realize that in almost every Disney park people generaly either go Tomorrowland Adventureland or Fantasyland and ignore the other walkways)

so I'd suggest getting rid of Frontierland's entrance (yes the exact opposite of what was suggested before)

now we all know that the Adventureland stores and the Frontierland stores are sitting practicaly back to back, so what one would do is destroy this whole middle island store building for the most part and look at rebuilding it as part of Adventureland. the bathrooms could be moved further back and the Adventureland entryway would be moved up to approximatly were that small path is that connects adventureland to frontierland (that one path they created to cut back on the congestion way back when Disneyland was first built)

you could then build a wall up extending from the plaza pravilion/tikiroom and create a better transition/illusion that these are two sepearte buildings even though they arn't

so now that Adventureland is much bigger you create two districts, the Indy/Jungle Cruise/Tiki Room area's all would stay in their dense jungle tropical theme but as you moved up into former frontierland territory you would be in an arabian marketplace with the outdoor flea market type atmosphere.

you would move the Frontierland entrance further back and Fronteirland would start around the area of Big Thunder Mountain Railroad (not quite sure how the hourseshoe revenue area and whatnot would fit into this but I think it could be moved or reworked to match this whole idea)

near the Frontierland entrance I would place Alladin's Magic Carpets. why? because it will work as a visual weenie, it will attract at least small children away from the denser parts of old Adventureland and pull them into the arabian district, from the spinner of course you would be able to see Big Thunder Mountain and thus the transition from Weenie to Weenie is made and you can divert some traffic that way

of course there are other logistic issues, the bathrooms would need to be reworked so they're still in a conevienet central location and the Indy shop would need a total reworking but it'd all be worth it because traffic and congestion would be eased up considerably

now what about frontierland? some may ask, am I suggesting we cut back that land even MORE it's hardly frontier as it is?

basicaly I would take the old target shooting range and move it up to the festival of fools area, since they're already planning on doing frontierland expansion here they could create yet another western esque town this time that you transition into from the european Fantasyland, so that way you'd have room for the Woody darkride a westernisht own setting with all the old shops and windows and everything else plus the shooting gallery, I'm sure Imagineering could still do the whole starts out slightly fantasylandish but then grows into more legitimate western theme (I would ditch the critter carousel idea, the resort has too many of those and besides moving the shooting galery is better)

this would be expensive but it would also be a great opportuinity to finaly cut back on alot of traffic issues surrounding the park, and they could seriously use this opportunity to plus adventureland even more

imagine the Tikiroom growing a bit in size and taking over the Alladin's Oasis (this area would be redundant and out of place with the new arab themed area now in some of the former frontierland space) area as well they could finaly build the whole resturant idea that Walt had origionaly planned

They could add back deleted songs for extra length to the show as well as adding in new songs from the tokyo version of the park and possibly even a christmas mix of the tiki room it'd be terrific atmosphere having the birds sing and eating some exotic foods and soaking in atmosphere.

The Barker Bird could also make a return because the Tikiroom would be sitting on a corner of Adventureland as opposed to the entrance and thus the bird would pull more people over rather then clog up traffic

basicaly you would be moving frontierland back into the other regions of the park but you would be adding to it and strengthening the loop structure that supports Disneyland and expanding Adventureland in the way I'm suggesting would help keep with the jungle theme and still have the right atmosphere for all the wlakways while still cutting back on the stranglehold quite a bit

• Minion

Well, I won't address everything here, but... demonstrate for me what E tickets are open on the east side of the park? MAYbe Matterhorn...? That tired old Star Tours? When Space re-opens, that's 3 e tickets on the East side, if you're being generous. Compared to the West side, which has Splash, Indy, BTMRR, PotC, and HM.

Yes, if you continue reading the thread, you'll see I retracted my idea for what ended up being train track that I didn't realize was track because of the tree. Still, that Indy queue is much longer than it needs to be. If I had control over the park, that's definitely something I'd put on the Top Ten list for things to look at and make better use of.

Finally, weenies are useful. Hence putting a large mountain/mesa attraction right around where (if my memory is correct) Cascade Peak used to be. Better sightlines from the hub than BTMRR, as well as the other attractions around RoA... I've been at the park enough to know that this whole area can get congested any ole time of the day, regardless of Fantasmic or anything else. BTMRR just isn't as much of a draw as it once was, and there aren't any supplemental attractions to keep guests using the Trail or the Frontierland entrance as an exit route. Adventureland is the straightest path between points A and B, so Frontierland needs to become its own Point B again, rather than just a single attraction that, in the minds of many people, is a little less attractive after all the bad media coverage it has received.

-- Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by ModHatter
    Well, I won't address everything here, but... demonstrate for me what E tickets are open on the east side of the park? MAYbe Matterhorn...? That tired old Star Tours? When Space re-opens, that's 3 e tickets on the East side, if you're being generous. Compared to the West side, which has Splash, Indy, BTMRR, PotC, and HM.

Yes, if you continue reading the thread, you'll see I retracted my idea for what ended up being train track that I didn't realize was track because of the tree. Still, that Indy queue is much longer than it needs to be. If I had control over the park, that's definitely something I'd put on the Top Ten list for things to look at and make better use of.

Finally, weenies are useful. Hence putting a large mountain/mesa attraction right around where (if my memory is correct) Cascade Peak used to be. Better sightlines from the hub than BTMRR, as well as the other attractions around RoA... I've been at the park enough to know that this whole area can get congested any ole time of the day, regardless of Fantasmic or anything else. BTMRR just isn't as much of a draw as it once was, and there aren't any supplemental attractions to keep guests using the Trail or the Frontierland entrance as an exit route. Adventureland is the straightest path between points A and B, so Frontierland needs to become its own Point B again, rather than just a single attraction that, in the minds of many people, is a little less attractive after all the bad media coverage it has received.

yeah I was thinking too much about this and got east and west a bit confused (yeah my though process can be scattered sometimes) sorry about that >_@

and yeah Adventureland is the straitest path that's why I was suggesting the whole redone entryway that mixes things up a bit and would provide an opportunity to divide up the paths more

I really should have done a map of it it'd probably be more cohesive, yeah I know what you mean by weenies

sorry my idea is so muddled, normaly I take time to draw out at least a rough map of things in my head or on an overhead map or even a parkmap but this time I just typed it out and it got mixed up basicaly imagine the area becoming less strait and more circular with two exits and one giant hub entrance, this would help to avoid the bottlenecks that form the way the whole thing is layed out now

as far as taking the other route around frontierland it looks to me like Big thunder will be getting more supporting attractions which will do wonders for the area in general

OK, here am my ideas for some dark rides in Adventureland, since this tread seems to be just about wrapped up:

(Please note, I don't know where these would be placed, yes space is limited there, I'll leave it up to the imagineers to work out those details)

1) Emperor's New Groove? What's more adventurous than a llama and a fat guy running around being chased by jaguars, an old lady, and a big stupid guy who sings his own theme song? lol, no, but seriously, I would love to see something on this movie. Give the Inca's and South American jungles some love.

2) ALADDIN!!! I think we all know how great this dark ride could be. Just rig up a carpet on an omnimover track, and you're good to go.

3) Lion King! African savana is pretty adventurous, is it not? Image your vehicle in the middle of the stampede scene. How cool would that be? I think Lion King could make a great dark ride.

4) And now, for the creme de la creme, TARZAN! Yes, you heard it here first, a Tarzan dark ride. Firstly, I think it could be awsome (think of trashing the camp scene, running from the baboons, everything in this movie just screams dark ride). Secondly, since we all know they wouldn't want two attractions of the same movie in the same land where space is so valuable, we would get Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse back! It would open up the walkway with the removal of that big stump in the middle of it too. Heck, if they placed the ride in the right location, they could even keep the ground level of the current treehouse, with all the interactive stuff for kids and all, and have it be an exit (what a difference from Pressler, instead of a gift shop exit, we get interaction and fun for kids, how cool would that be?)

Anyways, those would be my ideas for dark rides, not too thurough, but that's ok, it allows the imagineers some creative freedom that way
    Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by dsnyfnatic
    OK, here am my ideas for some dark rides in Adventureland, since this tread seems to be just about wrapped up:

(Please note, I don't know where these would be placed, yes space is limited there, I'll leave it up to the imagineers to work out those details)

1) Emperor's New Groove? What's more adventurous than a llama and a fat guy running around being chased by jaguars, an old lady, and a big stupid guy who sings his own theme song? lol, no, but seriously, I would love to see something on this movie. Give the Inca's and South American jungles some love.

2) ALADDIN!!! I think we all know how great this dark ride could be. Just rig up a carpet on an omnimover track, and you're good to go.

3) Lion King! African savana is pretty adventurous, is it not? Image your vehicle in the middle of the stampede scene. How cool would that be? I think Lion King could make a great dark ride.

4) And now, for the creme de la creme, TARZAN! Yes, you heard it here first, a Tarzan dark ride. Firstly, I think it could be awsome (think of trashing the camp scene, running from the baboons, everything in this movie just screams dark ride). Secondly, since we all know they wouldn't want two attractions of the same movie in the same land where space is so valuable, we would get Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse back! It would open up the walkway with the removal of that big stump in the middle of it too. Heck, if they placed the ride in the right location, they could even keep the ground level of the current treehouse, with all the interactive stuff for kids and all, and have it be an exit (what a difference from Pressler, instead of a gift shop exit, we get interaction and fun for kids, how cool would that be?)

Anyways, those would be my ideas for dark rides, not too thurough, but that's ok, it allows the imagineers some creative freedom that way
    still not enough room

great ideas though this would be perfect for a fantasyland like area they could add to Animal Kingdom

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123