Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    360

    Everything Old is New Again - Retro-digital Images with Poladroid

    A friend sent me this link for this cool little free imaging program about a year ago or so ago - Poladroid project | download area - so I started playing with some images and really enjoy the "look" - I was facinated by polaroid film - especially their polachrome film - back in the day and how easy it was to manipulate the images as they developed - it's best to crop the images before using the program to convert them - but, it's pretty tough to control the color shift of the final image as it's converted - but you can play with HDR and photoshopped and filtered images to get more of what you want in your images - some are new and some not quite so

    Enjoy!

    Kimickey








































  2. #2

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    283

    Re: Everything Old is New Again - Retro-digital Images with Poladroid

    Great images! Its funny how the industry worked so hard to develop clearer and clearer images and better and better technology, and now we are using that technology to create images that look more like the less-technological images that past technology would have created on its own….

    (I hope you appreciate how many times I was able to use the work technology in one sentence)

  3. #3

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    360

    Re: Everything Old is New Again - Retro-digital Images with Poladroid

    Yeah, very much so -

    I still shoot film to try and get past the hyper-reality of digital, as sometimes all the technology we rely on to capture and play-back what we see gets in its own way and very often gets between me and the image that I see in my head - I'll still scan the film after processing - so I guess I get the best of both worlds, when the two technologies collide - I like the retro look of post-processed poladroid images - real and yet not quite so.

    Kimickey

  4. #4

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Tiki Juice Bar
    Posts
    5,243

    Re: Everything Old is New Again - Retro-digital Images with Poladroid

    Love it! Fabulous pictures!

    My mother introduced me to the Polaroid program...ironically I just downloaded it today, and then I see that it's hit MiceChat Awesome.

  5. #5

    • Down Pluto!
    • Online

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Altered State
    Posts
    4,268

    Re: Everything Old is New Again - Retro-digital Images with Poladroid

    Sorry - I never liked Polaroids, and don't understand their appeal. Sometimes retro is just a reminder of why we got rid of something...







    I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

  6. #6

    • The cat's pajamas
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    8

    Re: Everything Old is New Again - Retro-digital Images with Poladroid

    Quote Originally Posted by Kimickey View Post

    this

  7. #7

    • Disneyland History Lover
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Chula Vista, CA
    Posts
    1,982

    Re: Everything Old is New Again - Retro-digital Images with Poladroid

    Nicely done!

    A friend of mine has this really cool iPhone app where he can shoot video in a way that makes it look like you recorded the footage in any desired decade. He filmed Main Street when we last went to the park to make it look like the '60s, and it turned out quite great. If it weren't for the way people are dressed and the modern paint scheme, I'd think I was looking at actual 45 year old footage.

  8. #8

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Sherman Oaks, CA
    Posts
    187

    Re: Everything Old is New Again - Retro-digital Images with Poladroid

    Really cool pictures. Love the retro look.

    Also, is the title of this thread a They Might Be Giants reference? "Everything Right is Wrong Again".
    www.youtube.com/lundopictures

  9. #9

    • Seeker of Fun
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    1,353

    Re: Everything Old is New Again - Retro-digital Images with Poladroid

    Very cool pictures! Anyone know if this software is available for a Mac?
    Stockholder and Walt Disney Autograph holder!!

  10. #10

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Midlothian, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    108

    Re: Everything Old is New Again - Retro-digital Images with Poladroid

    Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    Sorry - I never liked Polaroids, and don't understand their appeal. Sometimes retro is just a reminder of why we got rid of something...
    I can respect that opinion. I would counter that with people who like to work on classic cars. Certainly the low tech of a carburetor engine that runs on leaded gas would not be something we'd want to bring back full-scale, but bear in mind...There are people out there who cherish old things like that & keep them running that gives us all a reminder that although that tech is gone, it most certainly should never be forgotten. It's how we got to where we are, after all.

    I think what someone else was trying to say was...It's the imperfections of the Polaroid photos that make the images on them unique....Kind of like us human beings.

  11. #11

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    360

    Re: Everything Old is New Again - Retro-digital Images with Poladroid

    Hey 4Apples -

    The program was originally written for mac - the upload page has a link for the apple version

    Enjoy!

    Kimickey

  12. #12

    • Workin to live,lovin life
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    711

    Re: Everything Old is New Again - Retro-digital Images with Poladroid

    Polaroids were great for the "instant gratification" that people wanted before digital was even available. But the look of it is unique, and I appreciate it!

    Lately, the only time that I've had a problem off the top of my head with the aged look are when the aged film look is digitally added to "Jersey Shore"... Completely inappropriate... nothing aged about current day douchebags fist pumping.

  13. #13

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • The Future is in RED?
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Moving, somewhere in time...but mostly stuck in SoCal in the County of Orange
    Posts
    1,692

    Re: Everything Old is New Again - Retro-digital Images with Poladroid

    Awesome Pictures! I now download the program (after I finish my home work first.)


    Timekeeper
    Now the Tower of Sauron has fallen
    Also, this picture and my Avatar was taken with a Nintendo DSi System and Nyko Magnification Lens & Case for DSi.

  14. #14

    • Down Pluto!
    • Online

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Altered State
    Posts
    4,268

    Re: Everything Old is New Again - Retro-digital Images with Poladroid

    Quote Originally Posted by IndyRacingNut View Post
    I can respect that opinion. I would counter that with people who like to work on classic cars. Certainly the low tech of a carburetor engine that runs on leaded gas would not be something we'd want to bring back full-scale, but bear in mind...There are people out there who cherish old things like that & keep them running that gives us all a reminder that although that tech is gone, it most certainly should never be forgotten. It's how we got to where we are, after all.

    I think what someone else was trying to say was...It's the imperfections of the Polaroid photos that make the images on them unique....Kind of like us human beings.
    Understood, and I appreciate people who work on classic cars and cherish and maintain the other icons of our rich cultural heritage. However, a program that takes a perfectly good photo and turns it into a simulated Polaroid is more akin to a classic car "kit" with modern parts and fiberglass body than an actual classic car. It's more of a novelty than the art and science of Polaroid photography. I know people who still have their original Commodore 64, but they don't use it for real work anymore. And yes, there are C-64 emulation programs for the PC - but why? Simply for the novelty.

    Having said that, I would never expunge Polaroids from our collective memory because we need to be reminded of whence we came. They are a touchstone, and yet they are gone for many a reason. I for one just never liked the look of the product.







    I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

  15. #15

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Midlothian, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    108

    Re: Everything Old is New Again - Retro-digital Images with Poladroid

    Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    Understood, and I appreciate people who work on classic cars and cherish and maintain the other icons of our rich cultural heritage. However, a program that takes a perfectly good photo and turns it into a simulated Polaroid is more akin to a classic car "kit" with modern parts and fiberglass body than an actual classic car. It's more of a novelty than the art and science of Polaroid photography. I know people who still have their original Commodore 64, but they don't use it for real work anymore. And yes, there are C-64 emulation programs for the PC - but why? Simply for the novelty.

    Having said that, I would never expunge Polaroids from our collective memory because we need to be reminded of whence we came. They are a touchstone, and yet they are gone for many a reason. I for one just never liked the look of the product.
    Well said. I have to admit, I still have my C-64 AND my VIC-20, and break them out on occasion for whenever I want to relive a part of my childhood playing some of the games...Especially the cassette tape ones that take 30 min to load. It's fun to remind my kids that THIS was how it used to be, and would STILL be if it weren't for more forward thinking people.

    The Polaroid photo program is a novelty, yes. But it is still a way to take, as you put it, "perfectly good photos" and make them better in the eyes of those who DID like the imperfect nature of the photographic quality those cameras/film made. Think of Technicolor movies...Never something we use today, but it was the format for so many of the classic Disney movies that we all still love and cherish 50 years since they were made. Certainly movies like Cars are far and away much better with regard to picture quality (etc etc), but you get my drift.

    Same goes for vinyl records. But that's another whole stack of wax, as they say. LOL ;P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •