• Boozer, User, and Loser

Question Star Tours Motion Discrepancy

So I rode Star Tours last weekend. I usually don't go on it anymore because it's lost it's glory. Anyways, has anyone ever noticed when your Starspeeder dives, that you should be feeling a weightless feeling, but you actually feel pulled into the dive by gravity. I never noticed it before. I know motion simulators are limited in their capabilities, but isn't there a way to experience that dive the way it physically would feel?

• e komo mai

(Light speed is just the cabin tilting backwards.)

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Cricket
    (Light speed is just the cabin tilting backwards.)
    With a slight shaking motion.
    -Monorail Man

• Boozer, User, and Loser

But I'm not talking about light speed. I'm actually talking about when you dive into the trench towards the end.

Quote Originally Posted by HarajukuBoy
    But I'm not talking about light speed. I'm actually talking about when you dive into the trench towards the end.
    I don't think that "weightless" was one of the concepts of ST. It is quite impossible physically to be weightless with a mechanical arm. The starspeeder actually tilts forward when you go into a dive so it should feel like gravity is pulling you... I do not know how you could be weightless with the design of this attraction.

NASA uses water and HUGE fans to create a weightless feeling on earth. Even in Apollo 13 they used an airplane to create a weightless feeling for about 30 secs... The starspeeders at DL have NO capabilities to make you weightless...

sorry...

• Minion

Yeah, back when the ride was still fairly new and more interesting, that was one of my favorite parts, getting in the last seat in the last row and letting my legs dangle during the "dive." But yeah, it wasn't a particularly convincing illusion even then, it was just fun to dangle.

Now... not so much.
    See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
    78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

• Kirbyshowcase.com

ya it wouldnt work unless they dropped your space shuttle from a plane or put it into our orbit. So until they figure out someway to bend physics your going to get stuck with being pulled down the machincal arm, even if we didnt have gravity, if we were buckled into the shuttle we would still feel the same.
    (insert funny comment here)

• That's Hawt

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Remus
    ya it wouldnt work unless they dropped your space shuttle from a plane or put it into our orbit. So until they figure out someway to bend physics your going to get stuck with being pulled down the machincal arm, even if we didnt have gravity, if we were buckled into the shuttle we would still feel the same.

But ... if we wern't buckled in ........ :devil: :devil: :devil:
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkmom
    this is my first buzzed post in the DMCA -- I'm really in this club because I'm a bitch more than anything. I've only had to hit the backspace 4 (oops, make that 5) times in (now 7) in this (now 9) (now 15) in this post! Damn, now I'm up to 18! Our neighbors were (19) (20) making tequilla sunrises. I thought I couldn't do tequilla (22) anymore but (24) this stuff (26) was good! It started (27) with an s

• Know More Than You Should

I, and I can imagine a few others have too, have seen what the StarSpeeders look like on the outside while they do their thing, and its really not terribly amazing. Of course, to give credit where credit is due, the ride is kind of like the movies, the effects and stuff were awesome back then but since newer technologies have been created. Just to bring up something on/off topic here, what about Mission: SPACE? That system looks like this:

Quote Originally Posted by MiceMan
    But ... if we wern't buckled in ........ :devil: :devil: :devil:
    Hehe... you kill me man... hehe