• Banned User

Ideas About Discovery Bay, the land that never was

The Neverland Files: Discovery Bay

I always Loved this Idea of Discovery Bay, Imagineers even made a scale- mock up of it, can you Imagine a mystical SeaPort on the Northern Banks of the Rivers of America? I love the over-all theme of Victorian Pulp; A little tweaking of some of the drafted Attractions and this could be one hell of a Land. what are your Ideas/thoughts on Discovery bay or re-hashing the attractions?

• Always Dreaming

Re: Ideas About Discovery Bay, the land that never was

It's pretty much Tokyo DisneySea. I found that park to be alright, but not the best park ever (although their show quality was top notch).
    http://aurorahermione.tumblr.com - costuming and random Disney stuff

• All-American

Couple of thoughts on Discovery Bay...

One thing I admire about it is its compactness. Here the Imagineers have managed to condense 9 or so attractions into a very small area, most of which would be completely within the boundaries of the existing park, all without taking out any existing attractions (except Big Thunder Ranch). The shear quantity of additions is impressive; I would imagine Carsland is about twice this size, and it only adds 3 attractions to DCA.

I also like how nice a transition it would make between Frontierland and Fantasyland. The idea of a fantasy-steampunk 19th century California would make a really great transition between two lands that currently don't flow very well thematically from one to the other.

That said, I've always have a hard time imagining this actually being in Disneyland. For some reason I just can't imagine sailing on the Rivers of America on the Mark Twain and seeing the Nautilus. I think it might have to do with the fact that every existing element of Disneyland is derivate of one of the ideas present when the park opened (medieval fantasy, cowboys and westerns, adventures in the jungle, etc.), and Steampunk is very different from any of those. It's sort of the problem I had with Tomorrowland '98... it just didn't fit conceptually with the rest of the park.

Another problem I have with it is how much it would reduce the footprint of Frontierland, as well as any hope of expanding it. Frontierland just feels too small right now (having exactly 1 major attraction in the land proper), and if Discovery Bay were built then any chances of getting more Frontierland attractions could be kissed good-bye.

I'm a huge Tony Baxter fan, but I've always thought it was funny how often he expresses how much he wishes this were built. Sure the idea is grand, but I don't think anyone can complain that because of its demise, the concept of Discovery Bay is something that will never be seen - Discoveryland at Disneyland Paris, as well as Mysterious Island and Port Discovery at Tokyo DisneySea are all pretty much interpretations and revitalizations of Discovery Bay.

I think a number of the attractions might actually work well at DCA - the Chinese restaurant and Fireworks Factory in particular might make parts of a good Chinatown, and the Balloon ascent could be a good new addition to Condor Flats, perhaps as a replacement for the Challenge Trail.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Retheme the Pier to this......and just move Toy Story to Hollywood and bame you've got a good land in DCa...it doesn't fit the CA theme but its better than a carnival next to water.

• Banned User

I also thought elements of this plan would work well in Condor Flats...I love Disneyland Paris' Discoveryland because it has that wonderful Jules Verne theme...

• Buena Vista St. & Red Car

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    Retheme the Pier to this......and just move Toy Story to Hollywood and bame you've got a good land in DCa...it doesn't fit the CA theme but its better than a carnival next to water.
    Isn't Discovery Bay themed to a fantastical vision of the Barbary Coast? If that's the case it's actually a PERFECT fit for DCA.

This would be great along the southern shore of DCA.

• Minion

I agree that Frontierland isn't the right place for it. If you put it north of Frontierland, then that land isn't the frontier any more. Frontierland should have at least one wild, uncharted side to it. Discovery Bay could go in the third park.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    I agree that Frontierland isn't the right place for it. If you put it north of Frontierland, then that land isn't the frontier any more. Frontierland should have at least one wild, uncharted side to it. Discovery Bay could go in the third park.
    I do love the concept of Discovery Bay, but I have to also agree that maintaining the wild, uncharted side of Frontierland is critical. However, maybe elements of Discovery Bay could still be worked in somehow, in such a way as to keep the frontier feeling there.

Frontierland needs something to replace the Ranch, but a new ride could also be fit into the area directly across from the exit for BTMRR, the area with the lake and old tunnel.

^^^
    Actually, while that area across from the exit for BTMRR could be used for something else, I really hope it isn't! I just love that spot. It's so atmospheric, ancient (relatively) and wonderfully mysterious at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Werner View Post
    ^^^
    Actually, while that area across from the exit for BTMRR could be used for something else, I really hope it isn't! I just love that spot. It's so atmospheric, ancient (relatively) and wonderfully mysterious at night.
    Of course you're right. Everything about it makes you want to hop the fence and go exploring, including the view of it, complete with the old train cars, you get from the Mark Twain as you sail by.

• Banned User

yeah, I think aspects of the Discovery Bay plan could be best suited in a 3rd gate. I really dont know what room DCA has for any Major future expansion, its sad; they literally have run out of room, as excited as I am for Cars Land, I really think they could have allocated that 12 acres for something a little more original...I wish our Tomorrowland was more like Disneyland Paris' Discoveryland...Disneyland Paris is so beautiful, kinda makes me feel cheated that our Parks are so Pixar drenched or a hodge-podge of conflicting random themes, when you see things like Mystic Manor and other plans for off-shore parks it really irks me, but at the end of the day its America and everything is profit-driven and that will always take the cake =0(

• Banned User

I really hope they put some creativity into the future plans of Disneyland
    Last edited by hyperskreem; 03-12-2011 at 01:56 AM.