Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Re: Did anyone here actually experience the Tomorrowland Boats or the Phantom Boats?

Quote Originally Posted by DanGodly View Post
    I rode it back when it was the Motor Boat Cruise to Gummi Glen.
    Same here that's what I remember it was fun ride not amazing or anything but better than what's there now.....nothing its kinda like what happened with the Mailboomer sure the attraction was not Disney Stands but is nothing really better than nothing?

• Dave

Blog Entries

Re: Did anyone here actually experience the Tomorrowland Boats or the Phantom Boats?

Quote Originally Posted by readandburn View Post
    So were they on tracks like the Motorboat Cruise was? I'm still not sure I understand how the Tomorrowland/Phantom Boats worked.
    They were on tracks
    Dave

• Dave

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    Same here that's what I remember it was fun ride not amazing or anything but better than what's there now.....nothing its kinda like what happened with the Mailboomer sure the attraction was not Disney Stands but is nothing really better than nothing?
    I second that
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by bigwavedave View Post
    They were on tracks
    According to 'Disneyland1951' on the last page, he (she?) rode them and they were not on tracks:

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyland 1951 View Post
    I rode the Tomorrowland / Phantom Boats in 1955. They were not on tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by readandburn View Post
    According to 'Disneyland1951' on the last page, he (she?) rode them and they were not on tracks:
    I do not believe that the "Tomorrowland / Phantom Boats" were on tracks. (The boats with big fins in the current Nemo location) I only rode in them, never allowed to drive. Look at the photos and you can see boats going in different directions and locations in every photo. It ran only two years.

If you did not visit Disneyland before September 1956 you never saw them.

************************************************** *************************

HOWEVER the "Motor Boat Cruise" located nearer the where the Matterhorn entrance is, were on tracks. They had a wheel, but it did even less than the current Autopia cars. I was allowed to "drive" these. The "Motor Boat Cruise" lasted decades longer than the Phantom Boats.

Most people are thinking of the "Motor Boat Cruise" which was listed as being in FantasyLand and not TomorrowLand. This ran for many years.

Ps: Like Mr Wiggins, my favorite ride was Rocket to the Moon, followed by Rocket to the Moon, and Rocket to the Moon. For me it was much better the Capt EO ever was. You could imagine that you were actually traveling to the moon.
    Last edited by Disneyland 1951; 03-23-2011 at 05:05 PM.

• Hopper's Mortal Enemy

There was a choice of pink or aqua for the Phantom Boats. I've never seen a close color photo but they sound absolutely ghastly.

Abientot.
    Remember
    What the dormouse said
    Feed your head!

You've read it; you can't unread it!

No, I don't even remember seeing them. I do remember enjoying a ride on the Flying Saucers, as a kid (and was sorry to see them go), and the motorboats, of course. I also remember Skull Rock and the tuna/pirate ship in Fantasyland, the burro rides (through the same desert that was part of the mine train ride), the Rocket to the Moon, the House of the Future, the Skyway, and the Tahitian Terrace. Not to mention the later Carousel of Progress. (I still can't get the song "It's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" out of my head.)

• Dave

Blog Entries

Say what you will about both versions of the rides, but they are very unique, and I think sadly we won't see again. Any ideas on what happend to the motor boats or phantum boats?
    Dave

• Still lost in Neverland

I remember the original Tomorrowland Phantom Boats that were in the original lagoon. I wanted to ride them, but every time we went all I could see were boats stranded out in the water and that did not seem like much fun to me. They had to come out in row boats, offload the passengers and row them back to shore. Not a lot of fun as I would probably lose my balance and fall in the water. They weren't around that long and I was glad to see them go. The boats that came later were much better and went into the canals back around where Fantasia Gardens is now. That one I rode and it was fun.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• ...my first visit to DL

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    I said, "Immersion."
    Ain't that the truth? And while the Motor Boat Cruise was a relatively calm ride, it also allowed for some immersion...I think I remember some slight rapids and stuff to make it a little more than a slow boat and I remember as a kid hoping that I would get to see the monorail or peoplemover pass over while I was in the boats so I could immerse myself into the future

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123