• Closed Account

Wink Factual resource for Disneyland history

Hello fellow MiceChatters!

I would like to "beef up" on my Disneyland Resort history. Does anyone have a book or other resource that they have read before to recommend to me??

Uber Thanks

Re: Factual resource for Disneyland history

I have read mouse tales and more mouse tales which were good for interesting facts of the history. mouse trap which explains how it is working there from a castmembers perspective. Designing Disney by john hench is really good history and concepts mainly on tomorrowland. But it delves into the art of designing there story type atmosphere

• Minion

There are tons of books that are all great!

Here are a few from my library:

MouseTales
    More Mouse Tales
    Mouse Under Glass
    Disneyland: The Inside Story
    Disneyland: Now, Then, and Forever
    The Haunted Mansion: From the Magic Kingdom to the Movies
    Pirates of the Caribbean: From the Magic Kingdom to the Movies
    101 Things You Never Knew about Disneyland
    The Disney Mountains: Imagineering at its Peak
    Walt Disney Imagineering
    The Disneyland Encyclopedia
    Disneyland: A-Z
    Disneyland: The Nickel Tour

These are some of the best!

Hope that helps.

• Bring back the Keelboats!

I have read most of what Disneylandfan95 said above. The Mouse Tales are good, quite a bit is humorous. The Nickel Tour is one of my favorites with all the postcards and the history behind them.

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

• Hopper's Mortal Enemy

I'm going through The Nickle Tour again right now, and can't praise it highly enough. It's out of print, though, and sells for about $200 if you can find it.

Another fantastic resource is the E Ticket magazine, sadly, no longer published. It was primarily the work of two brothers, and after one died, there were onlya few more issues, There's 40 something in all, with the 1st 24 on CD-ROMs. Not sure who controls it now, but there are many back issues for sale at the Disney Family Museum in SF.

A bientot.
    Last edited by ralfrick; 03-20-2011 at 07:05 PM.
    Remember
    What the dormouse said
    Feed your head!

You've read it; you can't unread it!

• Bring back the Keelboats!

ralfrick is so right about the E Ticket Magazines. I have quite a collection of them and am so sorry they are no longer being made. Their articles, interviews and aerial maps are priceless!

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

• Banned User

Google and Bing are great resources for finding books as is Amazon.

check out yesterland.com
    WALTER ELIAS DISNEY COMMUNITY OF TOMORROW- WEDCOT

• Halloween 2011

I'd actually suggest doing research on the net in addition to reading any of the recommended books. The problem with Disney history (and history in general) is that it is often subject to interpretation or outright falsehood. We've only learned recently that the oft-quoted story about the colorblind bulldozer driver was made up by the Disney PR guy. And Disney guides still point to the gold spike under the Castle archway as the center of Disneyland, when it is merely a sureveyor's marker like any other found around the park and has never nor does not currently mark the center of the park.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by dougeebear View Post
    I'd actually suggest doing research on the net in addition to reading any of the recommended books. The problem with Disney history (and history in general) is that it is often subject to interpretation or outright falsehood.
    Definitely true.

Disneydancwer76, it really depends how interested you are in Disneland history. If just casually, one book or source may be enough, and if that's the case, I can't reccommend The Nickel Tour or Disneyland Inside Story enough. These are also the most expensive, and neither one may be in your library.

If you want tio delve deeper, the next step would be to get The E Ticket Magazine--or as many issues as you are able to acquire. It's owned by the Disney Family now, so you could check with them re back issues or the CD.

For something far more scholarly, "The Architecture of Reassurance" is a must.

Unfortunately, for actual "history," I'd stay away from the "Mouse Tales" books. They are mostly filled with anecdotes, which, while fun reading, don't necessarily give one a broad understanding of Park History. Once you have some understanding of the Park's history, these books will be worthwhile.

I have other reccommendations, depending on how deep into the subject you wish to get.

• Dont make me unfriend you

Yeah yeah. Isn't there a book about the history of the Disney trains?

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett240 View Post
    Yeah yeah. Isn't there a book about the history of the Disney trains?
    Three, actually. And one--Michael Broggie's "Walt Disney's Railroad Story" does present a very good history of the Park's early development. Also, you just reminded me: it's available in PDF format for $19.95, w/ free shipping!

Walt Disney's Railroad Story - pdf E-Edition - Carolwood Pacific Historical Society