View Poll Results: What would you Rather see Happen to Tomorrowland?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jules Verne/Victorian Pulp Theme

12 19.35%
  • Keep the Futuristic Theme and Update it

32 51.61%
  • Create a new adjacent land W/ jules verne theme

5 8.06%
  • Make Tomorrowland More Science Fiction

29 46.77%
  • Make Tomorrowland more Educational

9 14.52%
  • Make TRON E-ticket and some fresh paint

7 11.29%
  • Bring back a Scarier Version of Alien Encounter

8 12.90%
  • Get Rid of the Nemo Subs

7 11.29%
  • Update the Subs/New Technology

16 25.81%
  • Tear out Autopia and start from scratch

19 30.65%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Banned User

Question Is anyone else a fan of the Jules Verne Theme for Tomorrowland?

Bear with me. Im a Personal fan of The Victorian Pulp/Steampunk Theming of Discoveryland DLP and at DisneySEA..which all stem from the Discovery Bay concept for Disneyland. But I like the Futuristic Theme too.

Tomorrowland has no soul, and at least with the Jules Verne theme its like stepping into the past and seeing the future from the late 1800's with 20,000 leagues and Journey to the center of the earth being much more adventurous stories...so we wouldnt end up with things like Inneventions and Nemo Subs and having to keep up with the future...

Just wondering your thoughts

The Poll is Multiple Choice so vote on as many as you want, its just for fun
    Last edited by hyperskreem; 03-23-2011 at 09:42 PM.

Re: Is anyone else a fan of the Jules Verne Theme for Tomorrowland?

Not me...too "steampunk"...which I am not a fan of.

• Mrs. J. Depp

Ohhh i love steampunk. But not for Tomorrowland. the Jules Verne stuff needs a land of its own.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• Banned User

I think a quaint little Steampunk Port off the Northern Shore of Rivers of America would be soooo Cool

If I had my way, Id tear out Autopia, People Mover tracks, NEMO subs, reroute the Monorail and build a lil Steampunk Village There
    Last edited by hyperskreem; 03-23-2011 at 09:33 PM.

• Banned User

Honestly, it's barely a theme. It's a redesign of the astro-orbiters, and and a paint job.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by noleafclover1980 View Post
    Honestly, it's barely a theme. It's a redesign of the astro-orbiters, and and a paint job.
    Well, that was how Tomorrowland '98 did it. From pictures and video, Discoveryland looks much better. However, I would prefer Discovery Bay be built somewhere else, and Tomorowland be rethemed to look more like a futuristic city from the cover of a (20th or 21st century) sci-fi novel.
    "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
    Disney sequel):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Sadly, even Discoveryland has lost much of its soul. I am not sure Disney has the will or desire to actually maintain such a theme.

• Senior Minion

While I enjoy Steampunk design, I don't think it would ever work well in our TL. None of the attractions support the theme and it just would end up being nothing more then a stylistic overlay with no depth.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Minion of Chernabog

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    While I enjoy Steampunk design, I don't think it would ever work well in our TL. None of the attractions support the theme and it just would end up being nothing more then a stylistic overlay with no depth.
    Unless they were willing to give it a major rehab.
    The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing - Walt Disney

Shut up and get to work - Me

• Dont make me unfriend you

When I was younger, I loved the "This is what the 50's thought the future would be like" theme of Tomorrowland.

Go back to the 50's and 60's look at how they thought the future would look like (flying cars, sky liner flights to space, space colonies, ect ect) and put that into play. Not the future "We, today see" use the (Sci-fi) future as seen in 1954.

I like the Discoveryland Concept, but to me it would only work for a third Disneyland style park in the states. The Tomorrowlands of Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom both need to maintain their own unique styles based in the history of each of those parks.

For Disneyland, if they can't actually dream up a utopian/optimistic future based on where Imagineering sees the world going today, then they should give us at least Walt's vision of the future. As said above, the 50's/60's look at how the future would look, including many of the things we still dream of like flying cars. Watching Ward Kimball's Magic Highway USA gave me many ideas on how the aesthic of Tomorrowland could be updated. Little things like electric cars and driving past a House of the Future on the Autopia track. A working Personal Rapid Transit on the people mover. Putting the Astro Orbiter back were it belongs (with a look more Jetson's than Jules Verne). A little science fiction and more emphasis on the future we hope for. Color schemes in bold shiny primary colors: rocket reds and royal blue. Whites and silver in streamline modern.

I'm fine with the Magic Kingdom embracing a more science fiction based approach. Throw in Tron, Alien Encounter (the real one), The Black Hole, etc. The whole council of planets aspect seems to work there. I just don't want it to be copied in Disneyland.

• Dreamer

I mentioned this somewhere else before but instead of Steampunk they should apply a Dieselpunk theme. You still maintain a sci-fi design but with some whimsical art deco designs woven in.

• Banned User

While I am a fan of steampunk, Tomorrowland is not the place for it.

Tomorrowland should provide a vision of a potential future. With a bold enough vision the land can easily last 30+ years without a major rework (as the '67 Tomorrowland did).

The retro-future approach to Tomorrowland is a complete copout: an admission that Disney no longer has the vision, talent and will to imagine the future.

Bring back a scarier version of Alien Encounter?

That was at WDW, not Disneyland.
    "In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new. The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations, the new needs friends." - Anton Ego

• Nutty about Disney parks

The theming of Tomorrowland (pretty much in every park) has fallen apart. It's now just a jumbled mess of futuristic, sci-fi, space, or contemporary. Disney just needs to go with one aspect of Tomorrowland and stick with it and the one that will probably work best is the space theme as the strongest attractions in this land (BLAB, Space Mountain) are themed to aliens, robots, or outer space.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast