Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• Sock Puppet

Re: Protip: Parents, if your kid is freaking out and doesn't want to go on a ride...

i think the only way to really get a kid to get over their fears of a ride like BTMRR or CS is make them go on it! Now if i had a kid i certainly would never force them to go on ToT because i myself hate that kind of ride..

• Goofy

Re: Protip: Parents, if your kid is freaking out and doesn't want to go on a ride...

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    Sometimes you got to force them on......I was scared of Big Thunder...then my dad made me go on it...now I love it.

I was also scared of Snow White, the Matterhorn and Space...then I was forced to go on them again and I liked them....some how they were scary to me as a young kid (4 or 5) but when I was like 7 or 8 I loved all the rides there.......soo sometimes it does suck to hear kids crying in the Q (I did not do that or I would never be brought back) but it will help the kid grow up and learn that not everything your forced to do is bad

in a way you are right. i was scared of splash mountain lol. i was afraid of the drop at the end lol. but i loved it afterwards.

kids are kids period.

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by noleafclover1980 View Post
    ... for the love of God, just take the kid somewhere else, and don't force them on it. No one else on Pirates wants to listen to your child screaming bloody murder for the entire queue, or the entire ride.
    My child freaked through the entire line...loved the ride and begged to go back on...so yeah, maybe try not to judge and mind your own business.

oh, and the child is now 20...and thanks me for making her go on the rides when she was little.

simply put, you don't know the situation, the child or the parent. You are judging on a brief moment. When it's your kid handle it anyway you want...but don't judge others.
    Last edited by SCUBAbe; 03-24-2011 at 06:59 PM.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    Sometimes you got to force them on......I was scared of Big Thunder...then my dad made me go on it...now I love it.

I was also scared of Snow White, the Matterhorn and Space...then I was forced to go on them again and I liked them....some how they were scary to me as a young kid (4 or 5) but when I was like 7 or 8 I loved all the rides there.......soo sometimes it does suck to hear kids crying in the Q (I did not do that or I would never be brought back) but it will help the kid grow up and learn that not everything your forced to do is bad

exactly! Kids should try things at least once, if they do not like it they don't need to do it again, but the crying in line thing it's because kid have no idea what to expect and they have this big fear!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe View Post
    My child freaked through the entire line...loved the ride and begged to go back on...so yeah, maybe try not to judge and mind your own business.

oh, and the child is now 20...and thanks me for making her go on the rides when she was little.

simply put, you don't know the situation, the child or the parent. You are judging on a brief moment. When it's your kid handle it anyway you want...but don't judge others.
    I'll mind my own business when your hysterical child stops ruining the ride for everyone else around it. Not to sound harsh but there's nothing more frustrating then being stuck on a ride like Pirates, etc with a kid screaming bloody murder the entire time. I'm not trying to judge anyone, but it's frankly ANNOYING. How about this, I yell like a crazy person all through a ride, and tell you to mind your own business and not to judge me when you tell me to shut up.

I can see both sides (not that I'm a parent yet) as the same discussion came up on another Disney board. Most of the parents there were saying to, more or less, mind your own business, because their kids would scream and cry and have to be forced on, but then ending up loving it, and if they hadn't been forced on, they never would have gone on. Everyone's probably a little scared the first time they go on something new, but will never know if they aren't forced to go.

Like others have said, we don't want to hear your kid freaking out, even if they will love it by the time it's over. Regardless of whether the child needs to be forced on, respect everyone else and at least talk to your child and try to calm them down. If they're throwing a huge fit in general, they don't deserve to go on anyway, in my opinion. If my future kids were screaming and crying, I would be so embarrassed, and they would not be getting on anything until they calmed down.

And honestly, if your child is having a fit, we're going to judge you. It's human nature.
    "Look there she goes, that girl is so peculiar...with a dreamy, far-off look, and her nose stuck in a book..." Yep, that would be me!

I tend to post in a thread and forget to check it ever again, or even worse, I kill it. Yay me.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe View Post

What are you even talking about?!? Its not about judging or mis interpreting a situation! NO ONE should have to endure a child screaming Bloody Murder thru a line and especially thru an attraction, it ruins the experience for other people. It is selfish to ruin other peoples fun just so you can introduce your kid to an attraction...
    Last edited by hyperskreem; 03-24-2011 at 10:01 PM.

• Nutty about Disney parks

Here's an idea...if a parent has a child who wont go on a ride out of fear...perhaps the parent should consult with a CM of the ride to talk to the child and give them some reassurance? CMs can probably say the right words to convince the kid the ride is okay as opposed to parental disciplinary action.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• The "goat trick" RULES!!!

Yep. Disneyland was a very scary place when I was 4.

I HATED PoTC. The drops seemed HUGE. The skeletons were scary. The pirates looked mean and they were destroying the town. I was so scared. But my family wanted to ride it every time we went to Disneyland.

The WORST was The Haunted Mansion. That creepy voice in the elevator. I cried every time the lights went out and everyone screamed. I didn't like the dark. The ghosts scared the bejesus outta me and that hallway was just frightening! Plus to top it off there was a ghost riding in my Doom Buggie that was going to follow me home. I was not a happy camper.

I already mentioned the traumatic experience that was Big Thunder Mountain R.R.

Bad memories for me then, but awesome memories for me now. Hahaha.

I remember my mom dragging me on Splash Mountain when I was five or six. I was absolutely petrified of the ride for the longest time after that. Even now, Tower of Terror and California Screamin' are nothing to me, but the final Splash drop still scares me. lol

But then, that might have something to do with the fact that I haven't been able to ride it since getting my annual pass due to the refurbishment.

^^I have a Haunted Mansion story, too, except I don't remember it happening. When family was here, we took a trip to DL. They all wanted to go on HM, and I must have been 2 or 3. According to family stories, we were all standing there, and the elevator doors were slowly closing. Just as they were about to shut, I went running toward them and slipped out. Luckily, my mom was able to catch up, otherwise I would have been a lost child. That would have made me a screaming, bawling child, but apparently I didn't make any noise, just decided this ride wasn't looking fun and bolted. I attribute that to my big dislike of haunted houses (Halloween ones, as I worked at an 1857 haunted mansion and was perfectly fine).

I know whenever I had a fit about something, my parents were quick to take me elsewhere or threaten discipline if I didn't stop. I can see them knowing me, and not even batting an eye at getting out of line for something if I freaked, because I was a scaredy cat when I was younger. Now I'm crazy about roller coasters and such - the crazier, the better.
    "Look there she goes, that girl is so peculiar...with a dreamy, far-off look, and her nose stuck in a book..." Yep, that would be me!

I tend to post in a thread and forget to check it ever again, or even worse, I kill it. Yay me.

• Banned User

The thing to me is... you know your kid, and if they're prone to freaking the heck out. Seems like you should anticipate it and give em a pep talk first, not just be like "Bam! Scary stuff! Man up!"

• Blew By You

I'm beginning to face the age old dillema: when is the right time to take a child onto attractions which will probably scare them? My 5 year old daughter seems to want to get on Thunder Mountain, but I'm not putting her on until she turns 7. I'm going to get her on Gadget's coaster and see how she does and then maybe the Jellies in DCA to give her a small taste of heights. Am I being a scardy cat dad?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by bayouguy View Post
    I'm beginning to face the age old dillema: when is the right time to take a child onto attractions which will probably scare them? My 5 year old daughter seems to want to get on Thunder Mountain, but I'm not putting her on until she turns 7. I'm going to get her on Gadget's coaster and see how she does and then maybe the Jellies in DCA to give her a small taste of heights. Am I being a scardy cat dad?
    Honestly, it seems like it's a blessing that they have kiddie versions of rides like that now test the waters and seem how they handle it, instead of being like "Ok, you meet the minimum height requirement, get on Space Mountain and Tower of Terror". Also if your child wants to give it a shot, I'd say go for it.

• Banned User

Im not a father, but I work with kids. if she wants to ride Big Thunder I really think you should let her, she may feel very accomplished afterwards and its a mild rollercoaster. you never know, she may be a future Ride Warrior

BTMRR was my Personal first Rollercoaster I ever rode when I was 6
    Last edited by hyperskreem; 03-24-2011 at 10:01 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast