Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: Protip: Parents, if your kid is freaking out and doesn't want to go on a ride...

Quote Originally Posted by noleafclover1980 View Post
    Thank god.... is there a general rule that the CMs aren't supposed to speak up? I've seen plenty of times where they just ignore the situation.

Acutally when it comes to the rides, its the exact opposite its just many cast members i have seen when i go don't because they hate confrontation.

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Re: Protip: Parents, if your kid is freaking out and doesn't want to go on a ride...

I thank my mother for forcing me on these attractions when I was little, the experience was never the same after I got older. There was a time when Pirates and HM seemed real to me, a priceless experience which I'm glad to have been apart of. Now you have children these days who are scared to go on HM till the age of 12 and it's ridiculous, by that age the magical experience I'm referring to is long gone. The secret is basically giving your child a pep talk before the attraction and reassuring them that you will be with them the entire way.

Haunted Mansion: 3 years old
    Pirates: 3 years old
    Splash Mountain: 4 years old
    Big Thunder: 4 years old
    Matterhorn: 4 years old
    Space Mountain: 5 years old
    Last edited by Seawolf; 03-24-2011 at 10:22 PM.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    I thank my mother for forcing me on these attractions when I was little, the experience was never the same after I got older. There was a time when Pirates and HM seemed real to me, a priceless experience which I'm glad to have been apart of. Now you have children these days who are scared to go on HM till the age of 12 and it's ridiculous, by that age the magical experience I'm referring to is long gone. The secret is basically giving your child a pep talk before the attraction and reassuring them that you will be with them the entire way.

Right. And if they don't try it out at least once .. chance are that when they are in their 30's they won't try a certain ride either...

• Mrs. J. Depp

I think some of this problem has to do with the fact that some parents force Disney altogether on their child when the child isn't super interested. I have seen this first hand with people I know. Their love of Disney somehow never translates to their kids and the kids don't really want to go, or they just don't really like rides and therein lies a problem.
    I think it's different if the kids are educated on Disney, love it and WANT to go to Disneyland, then that's different because if they're gonna freak out, the parent can just say "Well you WANTED to come here so if you're gonna freak out, we'll leave", and sometimes that can put a kid in check. I mean what are you really gonna say to a kid who is freaking out but DOESN'T want to be there? It's no skin off their back.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyInWonderland View Post
    I think some of this problem has to do with the fact that some parents force Disney altogether on their child when the child isn't super interested. I have seen this first hand with people I know. Their love of Disney somehow never translates to their kids and the kids don't really want to go, or they just don't really like rides and therein lies a problem.
    I think it's different if the kids are educated on Disney, love it and WANT to go to Disneyland, then that's different because if they're gonna freak out, the parent can just say "Well you WANTED to come here so if you're gonna freak out, we'll leave", and sometimes that can put a kid in check. I mean what are you really gonna say to a kid who is freaking out but DOESN'T want to be there? It's no skin off their back.

i have heard worse then the bolded, i have heard " i spent all this money for us to come here, now stop crying or we will go home", i really have hear that! I could not believe my ears

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Poisonedapples View Post
    i have heard worse then the bolded, i have heard " i spent all this money for us to come here, now stop crying or we will go home", i really have hear that! I could not believe my ears
    Some people treat the place like it's the single most stressful thing in the world. I don't understand people that are so high strung and feel like they have to do as much as possible to get their monies worth. You end up with all these Moms with sour looks on their faces, running you down with strollers, dragging a crying child behind them. Take a chill pill people.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by noleafclover1980 View Post
    Some people treat the place like it's the single most stressful thing in the world. I don't understand people that are so high strung and feel like they have to do as much as possible to get their monies worth. You end up with all these Moms with sour looks on their faces, running you down with strollers, dragging a crying child behind them. Take a chill pill people.

I hate strollers. But back to the topic i just thought of something else to add, i feel that each parent has their own way to deal with their kids fear..and i really don't think it's anybody else's business.. but at the same time a kid needs to get over their fears somehow, sometime.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Poisonedapples View Post
    I hate strollers. But back to the topic i just thought of something else to add, i feel that each parent has their own way to deal with their kids fear..and i really don't think it's anybody else's business.. but at the same time a kid needs to get over their fears somehow, sometime.

I don't think people's parenting techniques are my business either, the problem is on a quieter,longer attraction such as Pirates... a screaming child kind of ruins it for everyone else now stuck on a slow moving ride vehicle with your wigging out kid. Basically it's more of a courtesy thing, everyone gets wrapped up in this "mind your own business" mentality, that they ignore that their child has now become a nuisance to all those around them... not everyone thinks your child is a special, perfect, unique wonder of creation. Most of us just think it needs to shut up lol I know that sounds mean, but it's pretty much the truth. And this was specifically addressing when a child is in HYSTERICS. If they're quietly scared, etc...odds are once they realize it's not so bad, they relax. When they've been whipped into a frenzy though... odds are they won't call down on the ride, and need to be taken aside to calm down. Trust me, I've seen it. Got stuck on a Pirates boat (why always THIS ride) where a kid got scared, the drops didn't help the matter, and he spent the rest of the ride wailing, and being terrified of everything.

I used to refuse to go on Pirates as a child as I was deathly afraid of the first drop. My parents never forced me to go. Now, I love any type of ride the crazier the better, I have gone cliff diving, sky diving, etc. Point is, forcing your little kid to go on a ride they are deathly afraid of is not necessarily doing them any favors, you are not toughening them up for the future. As they get older they will come around and I most likely guarantee they will enjoy that crazy jeep ride through the temple of the Forbidden Eye later on in life.

• Banned User

The 1000's of strollers add a beautiful Ambience along the walkway of Rivers of America LOL JK

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post

I am awaiting the pep talk portion.

So glad I don't have young ones anymore, but when they were young, we simply didn't take the scaredy cat with us.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by hyperskreem View Post
    The 1000's of strollers add a beautiful Ambience along the walkway of Rivers of America LOL JK

don't they? lol...

1,000's of opportunities for run over feet!

• Closed Account

The kids will cry and complain but by the time you reach the end all you hear is "Can we please go again!? PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!?"

Happens all the time!

I for one was kicking and screaming not to go on it for the first time when I was 19!!!

I totally understand what you mean...I mean why force them when they can just wait at the exit if the parents want to ride that bad.
    Who in their right mind would leave a child unattended at the exit, while they (the parents) are on the ride? The child could wander off, get lost, or be snagged by a pervert...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast