Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Artistic integrity

Re: Too many theaters in BVS/Hollywoodland?

What's more important .. Is what they do with the sites that are currently the "Millionaire" building, and the Hollywood & Dine.

I'm fairly confident whatever those sites ultimately become .. will be something to put the "V" and "D" into Variety and Diversity for Hollywoodland.

But as others also said, thats part of L.A./Hollywood.
    Well .. just because - That's what it is ... Does not mean you just go for an ALL-Theatre district for a theme park. But as I say .. with the two above buildings ... my hunch .. they'll plan something a bit different.

• Banned User

Again, there are a total of three different buildings with the word theater in them and only TWO of them with an actual stage experience. Lets stop exaggerating that BVS/HPB is nothing but theater stage shows and there is nothing more we know thats being planned. Its not exactly DCA 2001 when people complained about all the movies in the place. The average customer wont even realize the names of these buildings, just whats in them and in that regard they are all different from each other with very different goals and audience interests.

Of course what is ironic is most people here, judging by the thread I came across want the Carthay to have a moive experience of some type adding yet another theater attraction vs the restaurant, including you IIRC. So they are doing something different, but the problem is people dont seem to like that difference and would rather have another attraction that goes to this threads issue. Sometimes no matter WHAT they do people will just complain.

(And I'm not suggesting the OP is complaining in any way. Its a valid discussion, just making a point.)
    Last edited by WorldDisney; 03-28-2011 at 08:24 PM.

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by WorldDisney View Post
    The average customer wont even realize the names of these buildings, just whats in them and in that regard they are all different from each other with very different goals and audience interests.
    Oh .. I too think there's not too much of a big deal with the name of a building. What's inside is what counts.

What I'm simply trying to convey .. is people should expect more ... than just a series of sit-down "theatre" format shows .. where their seat goes no where. Stays firmly bolted into the foundation. But any type of "Hollywood" Attraction where your seat does surprisingly take you somewhere else.

I did forget to mention ToT ... so, at the moment .. that's 2 Ride type attractions .. vs. the 4 sit-down "proscenium" format (1. Hyperion, 2. Muppets, 3. Disney Junior, 4. Animation) .. not to mention Bugs - "Tough to be a bug" .. just the other side Hollywoodland.

Of course what is ironic is most people here, judging by the thread I came across want the Carthay to have a moive experience of some type vs the restaurant, including you.
    OH yeah .... I think the restaurant idea is not exactly the best idea!! Wasn't that DCA 1.0's problem of too many restaurants? Shouldn't DCA's iconic "weenie" be an Allurer to something more interesting than ANOTHER restaurant??!

Their original idea for a new "Walt Disney Story" Exhibit space sounded good to me. I also thought of a compact, and much more advanced "Great Movie Ride" .. that would remove "Tough to be a bug" behind ..and give that space to a Great Movie Ride 2.0.

So they are doing something different, but the problem is people dont seem to like that difference. Sometimes no matter WHAT they do people will just complain.

(And I'm not suggesting the OP is complaining, its a valid discussion, just making a point.)
    Just depends .. project to project ... what is unanamously a great idea ... to those ideas that are questionable. And there's no doubt .. Disney has quite a few "questionable" projects they've put forward in the last 15 years .. vs. 1955 to about 1995.
    Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 03-28-2011 at 08:36 PM.

• Disneyland History Lover

Quote Originally Posted by hyperskreem View Post
    Hollywood itself has several theatres within blocks of eachother. Isnt the muppets 3D also a theatre (technically making it 4)....as long as they all offer different experiences, im okay with it. It fits with the golden age of hollywood theme
    Muppets 3D is a theater too, yes. I was going more off of attractions actually referred to as such for the purpose of this analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    What's more important .. Is what they do with the sites that are currently the "Millionaire" building, and the Hollywood & Dine.
    Totally agree. In the grand scheme of things, I'm certainly not bothered by there being three attractions with the word theater in them. I do think it's a bit overkill, but there are much more important things once all is said and done with Hollywoodland. That whole corner of the HPB is probably a bit overlooked now due to how little there generally is to do there, but when the time is right, it'll be hot real estate for new developments.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    OH yeah .... I think the restaurant idea is not exactly the best idea!! Wasn't that DCA 1.0's problem of too many restaurants? Shouldn't DCA's iconic "weenie" be an Allurer to something more interesting than ANOTHER restaurant??!
    I, too, feel that the icon of DCA (which is significant) should be more than just a restaurant.
    The way I see it, they're basically replacing the Soap Opera Bistro. I would have preferred they re-institute a restaurant into Disney Jr/Disney Theater and use the Carthay Circle Theater for an actual theater-type attraction.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12