Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Disneyland History Lover

Too many theaters in BVS/Hollywoodland?

With the Hyperion Theater in place, the Disney Theater having just been opened under that name, and the new Carthay Circle Theater coming down the pipeline, are there going to be too many theaters in the same general area in DCA? I'm considering Hollywoodland to be a sort of extension of Buena Vista Street, what with both seemingly having a very similar theme and timeframe. I realize this area is representative of Hollywood, where theaters are in fair abundance, but it seems that having three theaters that are actually referred to as such might be a bit much. I believe this might partly be why Carthay Circle Theater is being made into a restaurant rather than another actual theater. Even so, it seems like quite a few theaters for the same general area.

Is three theaters too many for Buena Vista Street/Hollywoodland?

• Minion

Re: Too many theaters in BVS/Hollywoodland?

I don't think so. They all offer unique shows and things. Plus, all 3 are visually and thematically different. There are also tons of theaters in and around the LA area, so I think 3 is the perfect number.

• Dream in wonderful color!

I don't think it's too many. It provides a nice balance between the number of rides and shows.
    - Adventure Is Waiting -

"We're going to take you out of this world of reality for a visit to the most fantastic of all the worlds of fantasy." - Walt Disney

• Minion

No, not at all. It is HOLLYWOOD themed after all, and their are alot of studios and theatres within LA. Look at Holkywood Blvd. You have grauman's chinese theater, the El Capitan, and Kodak Theatre within a stone throw of eachother.

• Banned User

Hollywood itself has several theatres within blocks of eachother. Isnt the muppets 3D also a theatre (technically making it 4)....as long as they all offer different experiences, im okay with it. It fits with the golden age of hollywood theme

• Artistic integrity

Well ... Carthay is not going to be a "theater" .. but a restaurant. But lets not forget Muppet Vision 3D ... along with that Disney Junior thing ... Not to mention the Animation building has a couple "theater" elements in it ... So ... along with the Hyperion, that actually makes for 4 theater type venues in Hollywoodland. A bit much. Whatever future ideas there are in mind for Hollywoodland .... if they are some sort of a "theater" idea ... I'm gonna scream!

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by hyperskreem View Post
    Hollywood itself has several theatres within blocks of eachother. Isnt the muppets 3D also a theatre (technically making it 4)....as long as they all offer different experiences, im okay with it. It fits with the golden age of hollywood theme
    But it's a theme park. Not a replica of the real thing. They need to focus on VARIETY, or it's going to become repetitious .. and ultimately - boring.

Monsters Inc. is the only attraction that breaks up that "theatre" monotony. Next idea (Millionaire building, Hollywood&Dine building) - some sort of ride vehicle.

• Banned User

its like saying Fantasyland has too many Dark rides...or that Main Street has too many Souvineer shops and restaurants...the monotony of main Street in the same, just Restaurants and shops

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Let's see...

In the real Hollywood you have the El Capitan, the Chinese, the Egyptian, and the Pantages (a live theatre but still a theatre).

No. I don't think there's too many. It would still make more sense that the Carthay is a theater and not a restaurant.

• Banned User

Dont forget the Arclight theatre as well...they should just name it the Carthay Circle Restaurant

• Banned User

Double Post

• Mrs. J. Depp

I never realized the theaters that are sort of there PLUS the new ones. Disneyland barely has like 2 theater spaces. (RIP CBJ)

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by hyperskreem View Post
    its like saying Fantasyland has too many Dark rides...or that Main Street has too many Souvineer shops and restaurants...the monotony of main Street in the same, just Restaurants and shops
    Except that Main Street is not ALL shops and eateries - We have "Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln" .. an AA show. We have the Penney Arcade - with turn of the century arcade games. We have Main St. Cinema - Showing early films - Pre sound era. Main Street vehicles, and the DLRR. Not to mention Main Street in it's early days depicted some shops in a "museum" sort of format. Not the overly-run Plush/t-shirt/Mug shops they are today.

Fantasyland is not all dark rides. It does maintain a variety with the Matterhorn, and so much more found in the land. No need to state them all.

On the other hand .... Hollywoodland IS pushing a bit too far on the end of the spectrum ... of not having enough variety ... as Main St. and Fantasyland DO.

I don't know why anyone would want an actual recreation of Hollywood .. down to the "t" .. with nothing but a collection of "theatre" format attractions ... I on the other hand .. prefer a theme park to offer something a bit more "out of the box" .. and not some ordinary set-up .... found in the real world.

• Banned User

^^^ thats just silly, TDA doesnt think outside the box anymore lol

Im sure they will find a way to balance it out, they usually do, it just takes time. other than ToT and Monsters Inc. and red car trolleys there are no other Rides in Hollywoodland...I like the monsters Inc. ride but I dunno how well it will fit in the 1930's theme when they are finished. Hopefully the old Millionaire building will be converted into a showbuilding for a new attraction ::fingers Crossed::

• Banned User

I think its fine. As others said, they offer a different variety and experiences. One is a grand musical venue, the other is a small kids show, Carthay Theater will just be a restaurant, the 'theater' is just a facade for a restaurant although they might find another element to put inside it. But in reality we are talking two places. And others include Muppets though, but thats a 3D show, very different experience.

But as others also said, thats part of L.A./Hollywood. In fact, I was in Hollywood yesterday showing a friend I worked with in Korea and was her tour guide as it was her first time in America. It does hit you how many theaters are in this city driving through it. And if you drive through Wilshire you can still see a few of the smaller old theaters built in the 20s and 30s still standing every few blocks of each other. So I got no problems with it.

And I also think we shouldnt focus on the fact its theme and moreso on its experience. The fact they are all completely different from one another is all I care about. If it was like Disney Studios and we had a half of dozen stage shows based on films then I would complain. But Alladin is the only one and the others are different things. I'm just happy DCA doesnt have all those movies like before. Now THAT was too much!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast